Frequency Out of Range after Remote Desktop

Tags:
  • Remote Desktop
  • Microsoft
  • CRT Monitors
  • Windows XP
September 25, 2005 2:53:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hello,

I have a user who's CRT died a couple months ago and we replaced it with a
LCD...this is when the problem started. When she connects via Remote
Desktop then disconnects and comes in the next morning, she gets the
familiar 'Frequency out of range' message on the LCD. She never had this
problem before with the CRT, but I know that's because the CRT must have
been able to handle the setting, either refresh rate or resolution.

Before I tell her to reboot her PC within the RD connection instead of just
logging off or disconnecting, is there something else I can do? Maybe a
registry setting?

TIA

Brian

More about : frequency range remote desktop

Anonymous
September 25, 2005 4:32:04 PM

Brian Grigg wrote:
> I have a user who's CRT died a couple months ago and we replaced it
> with a LCD...this is when the problem started. When she connects via
> Remote Desktop then disconnects and comes in the next morning, she
> gets the familiar 'Frequency out of range' message on the LCD. She
> never had this problem before with the CRT, but I know that's because
> the CRT must have been able to handle the setting, either refresh
> rate or resolution.
> Before I tell her to reboot her PC within the RD connection instead
> of just logging off or disconnecting, is there something else I can
> do? Maybe a registry setting?

Simply have her change the resolution of her RD session.
Save that as an RDP file on her remote system so she consistently connects
at the lower resolution.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I have a similar situation at home, with the same 'Frequency Out of Range' error, but the remote session is using a LOWER resolution than the lcd, and can not run at the same resolution as the lcd (800x480 or 1024x600 umpc remoting to 1280x1024 desktop)
Anonymous
January 11, 2007 10:37:59 PM

It's the resolution that causes the message but the screen refresh rate. Try a lower rate.

Grumpy
January 11, 2007 10:49:52 PM

Quote:
It's the resolution that causes the message but the screen refresh rate. Try a lower rate.

Grumpy

is there a refresh setting in the RDP session? i've never noticed one.
Anonymous
January 12, 2007 10:26:41 AM

Not on the RDP session but the actual desktop. Make sure the correct monitor driver is installed for the LCD and the refresh rate is correct.

Grumpy
January 12, 2007 2:49:01 PM

on which side? both computers (umpc client and desktop host) work perfectly normally alone, but the host machine's lcd gives the frequency out of range error after an RDP session is connected to the pc.
Anonymous
January 12, 2007 11:17:43 PM

The host computer with the LCD.

Grumpy
March 26, 2009 5:19:48 AM

Quote:
The host computer with the LCD.

Grumpy

Hi all,
I have the same situation - not sure why but it did not happen on prev. RDP connections, but only today.

Grumpy - The trouble is that the Host resolution and frequency were set correctly before the RDP session.
After the RDP is disconnected the local machine is outputting to the screen at a different resolution than the one set before hand, making it impossible (due to physical screen ranges) to try and login, and change the output resolution.

I can re-connect using RDP, but the "advanced" tab on the screen properties is grayed and the screen is not identified correctly (in the RDP session only)
March 26, 2009 5:25:10 AM

re-post - Delete This
May 19, 2009 8:43:14 PM

I am having the same problem. Did anyone find a solution to this. Both LCDs are using a 75-hertz rate, but when disconnecting the host PC displays "out of range". I have to reboot the host PC in safe mode and change resolution, then reboot and everything seems OK.
May 19, 2009 8:55:14 PM

Try 60hz
January 13, 2010 11:28:53 PM

I solved this problem (in XP - doesn't seem to be a problem in win 7 - not sure about Vista) by using a little 3rd party scripting program that sets up custom resolution, depth and refresh rate for each user at logon. Seems to work fine and is easy to setup. App is free download: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_userdisplay.htm .. hope this helps.

Dylan Curnow.
October 22, 2011 9:36:22 AM

This Thread is OLD.

However, I had the same problem and solved it in a different way!

I completely uninstalled the graphics adapter driver and rebooted and re-installed the driver.

Now it works.

I have even made the RDP screen size very larger than the host! no problem!

Thanks.
!