My PC wishlist - Do you think it will play HL2 ?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
October 18, 2004 6:14:28 PM

AMD64-FX53 1MB L2 cache cpu.
Asus A8V Deluxe 939 pin motherboard.
ATI Radeon X800xt graphics card.
1024 Mb of PC3200 ram minimum.
200gb Western Digital HD with 8 Mb cache. (always had very good service from
WD drives.)
Quality CPU fan/heatsink, case, power supply.
1 copy of HL2 and CS Source yay!

I don't need anything else really, as I've got 2 cd burners, 2 DVD rom
drives, 2 Zip100's, 3 -1.44 floppys, 2 decent monitors keyboards and mice
etc etc from 2 current PC's which im scrapping.

Does anyone know if HL2 will be compiled in 64 bit x86 in the future?
AMD seem to be really pushing their 64 bit architecture nowadays.

Uzi

More about : wishlist play hl2

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 12:51:28 AM

"Uzi" <rapandrandb@suks.com> wrote in message
> AMD64-FX53 1MB L2 cache cpu.
> Asus A8V Deluxe 939 pin motherboard.
> ATI Radeon X800xt graphics card.
> 1024 Mb of PC3200 ram minimum.
> 200gb Western Digital HD with 8 Mb cache. (always had very good
> service from
> WD drives.)
> Quality CPU fan/heatsink, case, power supply.
> 1 copy of HL2 and CS Source yay!

No I'm afraid to say you wil need 1025MB of Ram ...sorry ;)

I took my X800XT back and got a Gainward Golden Sample Geforce 6800
Ultra instead. Benchmarks are one thing but my mates 6800 Ultra pissed
all over my X800XT and looked nicer in games too, plus my X800XT had
below 60fps on doom3 but my 6800 Ultra is constantly at the 60fps cap
that Doom3 has and never drops once even with everything on max

> Does anyone know if HL2 will be compiled in 64 bit x86 in the
> future?
> AMD seem to be really pushing their 64 bit architecture nowadays.

Probably not until MS release WinXP 64 bit (which from what I have
heard will be OEM only, no upgrades) and they won't be releasing it
until their boyfriends over at intel release a viable 64 bit platform
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 2:57:05 AM

In article <1098129074.17444.0@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net>,
me@privacy.net says...

> Benchmarks are one thing but my mates 6800 Ultra pissed
> all over my X800XT and looked nicer in games too, plus my X800XT had
> below 60fps on doom3 but my 6800 Ultra is constantly at the 60fps cap
> that Doom3 has and never drops once even with everything on max

I had the same problem until I started using the new Omega drivers.
12X10/32bit/4xAA/8xAF and all the goodies I get 72 FPS in demo1. This
is with an x800pro oc'ed to 526/546 running on an AMD64 3400+/1 gi
RAM/K8T NEO FIS2R/blah blah. I understand ATI cards are much better
suited to DirectX games also. I bought mine for HL2 and related mods,
Ghost Recon, etc. but hopefully it will run Quake 4 nicely too.
Related resources
October 19, 2004 7:53:27 AM

DeRanger <deranger-x@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> In article <1098129074.17444.0@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net>,
> me@privacy.net says...
>
> > Benchmarks are one thing but my mates 6800 Ultra pissed
> > all over my X800XT and looked nicer in games too, plus my X800XT had
> > below 60fps on doom3 but my 6800 Ultra is constantly at the 60fps cap
> > that Doom3 has and never drops once even with everything on max
>
> I had the same problem until I started using the new Omega drivers.
> 12X10/32bit/4xAA/8xAF and all the goodies I get 72 FPS in demo1. This
> is with an x800pro oc'ed to 526/546 running on an AMD64 3400+/1 gi
> RAM/K8T NEO FIS2R/blah blah. I understand ATI cards are much better
> suited to DirectX games also. I bought mine for HL2 and related mods,
> Ghost Recon, etc. but hopefully it will run Quake 4 nicely too.

Interesting thanks....
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 11:26:57 PM

"DeRanger" <deranger-x@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> In article <1098129074.17444.0@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net>,
> me@privacy.net says...
>
>> Benchmarks are one thing but my mates 6800 Ultra pissed
>> all over my X800XT and looked nicer in games too, plus my X800XT
>> had
>> below 60fps on doom3 but my 6800 Ultra is constantly at the 60fps
>> cap
>> that Doom3 has and never drops once even with everything on max
>
> I had the same problem until I started using the new Omega drivers.
> 12X10/32bit/4xAA/8xAF and all the goodies I get 72 FPS in demo1.
> This
> is with an x800pro oc'ed to 526/546 running on an AMD64 3400+/1 gi
> RAM/K8T NEO FIS2R/blah blah. I understand ATI cards are much better
> suited to DirectX games also. I bought mine for HL2 and related
> mods,
> Ghost Recon, etc. but hopefully it will run Quake 4 nicely too.

I tried loads of drivers with it before giving in. I also thought it
was a dodgy card but I have several friends with X800XTs and mine and
my other friends 6800 Ultras just get the lead in fps and fps
stability some of the X800s seem to look a little nicer in games
(better lighting and such) but mostly I'm glad I went for the 6800.

How do you get over 60fps in Doom3? I thought it had a cap on it so it
never draws more than 60. I'd like more as my TFT refreshes at 85Hz
and my 6800 draws around 100fps in Far Cry at 1280x1024 with
everything on max which is a comparable DX engine
!