Sony DVD DRU 500AX will not read blanK DVD-r +RW

ross

It worked a few months ago but then it would not burn DVDs -it will not recognize RW+R and did not find dvd-R until today. Ist the storage support said it was bad media until I told them I was using sony media. 2ndly the drive check software I downloaded from sony storage supports hangs up a lot. After several tries it will eventually allow you to play a DVD in Win Med 9 Right now I only have the new installed Record now to try.

So far from Sony support
1) They had me change the unit to Master on IDE channel 2 on its own lonely ribon. restart
2)Then they had me remove any buring software, and the MyDVD and record now have such a problem being remove they have special instructions from deleting files to removing items from your registry, That was 8 different DVD programs INC nero 5.5 updated that I had to take off and do countless finds in the registry to have 100% of every program removed.
3)They had me remove checks from use this drive to burn cd.s in advance setting of the drives properties in the device manager.
4) update the firmware from their site
5)go to the Ide ATA atap device in the manager and advance tab to change devices from Dma if avail to pio
6) They sent me a link to update ascpi driver 471.2 from adaptecs site.
7) the had me reinstall just the record now program and it did try to recognize and burn a DVD-R but failed it still will not reccog nize blank DVD +RW media (please insertr blank disk)
8) they had me change from the VIA controller to a generic
8) lastly they had me update my Motherboard bios
9) I am waiting on the XP service pack CD to come and then it still does not work I get to call back provided it happen in the 2 week period of support that I paid $20 for because technicaly my warranty ran out 2 month ago. even though I intsalled the unilt a month after I bought it and these problems stared about 3 months ago.

I thought since it worked before that it was a software update issuse and not possiblly a defective unit. They tell me there is no repair for out of warranty, meaning it might be trash. If any of these help someone let me know or if you find a solution. I have read post from so many people with the same or simular units that the word class action is enering my head.

Thanks
Frustrated Ross

peter

Hi,

It is wasting time to chase head and tail.
I would suggest you to backup all the important data files and perform a clean (repeat CLEAN, not REPAIR) installation of XP.
This is the best method to clear up all the rubbish files in the registries.
After clean installation of XP, install SP1 or SP1a and update all the critical patches.
Update all the latest drivers for the chipsets.
Install ASPI drivers version 4.7.1.2 from adaptec.
Download from the link: http://www.nu2.nu/aspi/
Search the web for a most suitable burning softwares for the Sony DVD burner or obtain the suggestion from Sony.
Do not install more than one burning software in the same machine to avoid possible conflicts.
You may also disable the native burning feature in XP (should be Roxio)

BTY, you have mentioned that you have updated the DVD firmware. Pls be awared that an improper/unsuccessful update of firmware may cause permanent damages to the DVD drive.

Pls also read the following link:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems

Hope it helps.

Good luck.

[...]