Motherboard upgrade

Hi People,

ive upgraded the hardware on my pc - motherboard and cpu
and now the my pc crashes when it tries to load XP. can i
use the recovery console or do anything (suggestions???)
to get it working or do i need to do a fresh install of xp
to get my pc working again?

Thanks

Steven
5 answers Last reply
More about motherboard upgrade

    Hi,

    Boot from the XP CD and perform a repair ( reapir, not clean installl) installation of XP.
    You need to re-install SP1 or SP1 a and all the critical updates as well.

    Peter

    ----- StevenM wrote: -----

    Hi People,

    ive upgraded the hardware on my pc - motherboard and cpu
    and now the my pc crashes when it tries to load XP. can i
    use the recovery console or do anything (suggestions???)
    to get it working or do i need to do a fresh install of xp
    to get my pc working again?

    Thanks

    Steven

    Thanks

    "StevenM" asked
    > Hi People,
    >
    > ive upgraded the hardware on my pc - motherboard and cpu
    > and now the my pc crashes when it tries to load XP. can i
    > use the recovery console or do anything (suggestions???)
    > to get it working or do i need to do a fresh install of xp
    > to get my pc working again?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Steven

    Hi Steven

    During the initial installation XP configures itself to suit the hardware in
    order to provide a more stable system. Because of this a major change in
    hardware can cause problems.

    **** If you have a XP installation CD ****

    You should always back up any important files in advance of a hardware
    change.

    Many users, myself included, prefer to do a full clean install after major
    hardware changes as you describe.

    The alternative, and equally valid option, is the repair install (also known
    as an In-Place Upgrade).

    *However, it is not designed to be a time-saving option.*

    See following Knowledge Base article for details. Pay careful attention to
    the possible loss of data links in the MS article and read all instructions
    carefully. You should follow the 'Boot from XP CD' procedure.

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341

    After doing this you may need to re-activate your installation of XP. If it
    has been more than 120 days since you last re-activated you should be able
    to activate over the internet, otherwise it will require a short phonecall.

    After the repair install you will need to re-install any XP service packs
    and updates that are not included on your XP Installation CD, but you will
    not need to re-install any applications.

    However you can make life easier by creating a slipstreamed XP installation
    CD to include the updates.
    Details at the elder geek's website.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstream_01.htm

    Hope that helps