Hi People,

ive upgraded the hardware on my pc - motherboard and cpu
and now the my pc crashes when it tries to load XP. can i
use the recovery console or do anything (suggestions???)
to get it working or do i need to do a fresh install of xp
to get my pc working again?

Thanks

Steven

peter

Hi,

Boot from the XP CD and perform a repair ( reapir, not clean installl) installation of XP.
You need to re-install SP1 or SP1 a and all the critical updates as well.

Peter

----- StevenM wrote: -----

Hi People,

ive upgraded the hardware on my pc - motherboard and cpu
and now the my pc crashes when it tries to load XP. can i
use the recovery console or do anything (suggestions???)
to get it working or do i need to do a fresh install of xp
to get my pc working again?

Thanks

Steven

Thanks

"StevenM" asked
> Hi People,
>
> ive upgraded the hardware on my pc - motherboard and cpu
> and now the my pc crashes when it tries to load XP. can i
> use the recovery console or do anything (suggestions???)
> to get it working or do i need to do a fresh install of xp
> to get my pc working again?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steven

Hi Steven

During the initial installation XP configures itself to suit the hardware in
order to provide a more stable system. Because of this a major change in
hardware can cause problems.

**** If you have a XP installation CD ****

You should always back up any important files in advance of a hardware
change.

Many users, myself included, prefer to do a full clean install after major
hardware changes as you describe.

The alternative, and equally valid option, is the repair install (also known
as an In-Place Upgrade).

*However, it is not designed to be a time-saving option.*

See following Knowledge Base article for details. Pay careful attention to
the possible loss of data links in the MS article and read all instructions
carefully. You should follow the 'Boot from XP CD' procedure.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341

After doing this you may need to re-activate your installation of XP. If it
has been more than 120 days since you last re-activated you should be able
to activate over the internet, otherwise it will require a short phonecall.

After the repair install you will need to re-install any XP service packs
and updates that are not included on your XP Installation CD, but you will
not need to re-install any applications.

However you can make life easier by creating a slipstreamed XP installation
CD to include the updates.
Details at the elder geek's website.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstream_01.htm

Hope that helps