Problem with monitor or graphic card

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,
I have a computer equipped with a nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4600 graphic card
and an LG 901B monitor.

The other day when I tried to start up my computer the picture looked
I little
bit strange with stripes and a little bit of flickering. The computer
started up ok first. The bios loaded but when it tried to load xp the
screen went black and went into standby mode.

I started up the computer again and pressed F8 to start it in VGA
mode. It
started up although the picture is still striped, and as soon as I
tried to
change (via the control panel) anything with the resolution (it was
really low) the screen went into standbymode again.

I started it up again in failsafe mode and it started ok (still
distorted picture). I could jack up the resolution to 768x1024, 32 bit
color,
and things look kind of normal (except the stripes).
If I disable the graphic card I can startup the computer normally
next time, but things don't look totally ok.

I don't know If it's my monitor thats broken or if it's the graphics
card.
I didn't do anything special before the problems occured, and I have
since
tried to install new drivers for the graphic card and the monitor, but
no
change.

Is there any way I can check my card? any utility? Or is it the
monitor?

Help appreciated!

//Gustav

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

The monitor will not crash the computer, you have a bad
graphics card.

"Gustav" <gfyring@kth.se> wrote in message
| Hi,
| I have a computer equipped with a nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4600
graphic card
| and an LG 901B monitor.
|
| The other day when I tried to start up my computer the
picture looked
| I little
| bit strange with stripes and a little bit of flickering.
The computer
| started up ok first. The bios loaded but when it tried to
load xp the
| screen went black and went into standby mode.
|
| I started up the computer again and pressed F8 to start it
in VGA
| mode. It
| started up although the picture is still striped, and as
soon as I
| tried to
| change (via the control panel) anything with the
resolution (it was
| really low) the screen went into standbymode again.
|
| I started it up again in failsafe mode and it started ok
(still
| distorted picture). I could jack up the resolution to
768x1024, 32 bit
| color,
| and things look kind of normal (except the stripes).
| If I disable the graphic card I can startup the computer
normally
| next time, but things don't look totally ok.
|
| I don't know If it's my monitor thats broken or if it's
the graphics
| card.
| I didn't do anything special before the problems occured,
and I have
| since
| tried to install new drivers for the graphic card and the
monitor, but
| no
| change.
|
| Is there any way I can check my card? any utility? Or is
it the
| monitor?
|
| Help appreciated!
|
| //Gustav

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

you might want to change the refresh rates for the display adapter. that
could be one reason why the screen flickers.
"Gustav" <gfyring@kth.se> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a computer equipped with a nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4600 graphic card
> and an LG 901B monitor.
>
> The other day when I tried to start up my computer the picture looked
> I little
> bit strange with stripes and a little bit of flickering. The computer
> started up ok first. The bios loaded but when it tried to load xp the
> screen went black and went into standby mode.
>
> I started up the computer again and pressed F8 to start it in VGA
> mode. It
> started up although the picture is still striped, and as soon as I
> tried to
> change (via the control panel) anything with the resolution (it was
> really low) the screen went into standbymode again.
>
> I started it up again in failsafe mode and it started ok (still
> distorted picture). I could jack up the resolution to 768x1024, 32 bit
> color,
> and things look kind of normal (except the stripes).
> If I disable the graphic card I can startup the computer normally
> next time, but things don't look totally ok.
>
> I don't know If it's my monitor thats broken or if it's the graphics
> card.
> I didn't do anything special before the problems occured, and I have
> since
> tried to install new drivers for the graphic card and the monitor, but
> no
> change.
>
> Is there any way I can check my card? any utility? Or is it the
> monitor?
>
> Help appreciated!
>
> //Gustav

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

oops. i meant refresh rates for the monitor.