HOW TO IDENTIFY THE SIZE OF RAM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

hi all
Could someone please tell me how does the BIOS in the PC identify
the size of the installed RAM during POST

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/General-Discussion-IDENTIFY-SIZE-RAM-ftopict57036.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=286714
2 answers Last reply
More about identify size
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    Serial Presence Detect (SPD) is a small EEPROM mounted on the DIMM that contains information about the DIMM module's size, data width, speed, voltage, etc.
    The Serial Presence Detect helps the system bios identify the memory as the correct type and properly configure the memory.

    --
    From Cancun, Mexico
    KURIAKI

    68,827 BIOS strings in my database just now!
    BIOS Support: http://www.supportbios.info/Default2.asp?Idioma=EN
    Wim's BIOS Forums moderator
    http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/index.php

    "Viveksheel" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message news:7_286714_a377ad162f7eda6ee05f48ace50e2178@hardwareforumz.com...
    > hi all
    > Could someone please tell me how does the BIOS in the PC identify
    > the size of the installed RAM during POST
    >
    > --
    > Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
    > Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/General-Discussion-IDENTIFY-SIZE-RAM-ftopict57036.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=286714
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:39:00 -0400, Viveksheel wrote:

    > Could someone please tell me how does the BIOS in the PC identify
    > the size of the installed RAM during POST

    They may use the SPD data now, I'm not sure, but before that it was simply
    write to segments and see if it was there. At least that what I did to
    determine memtop on pre PC machines.

Motherboards RAM