HOW TO IDENTIFY THE SIZE OF RAM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

hi all
Could someone please tell me how does the BIOS in the PC identify
the size of the installed RAM during POST

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/General-Discussion-IDENTIFY-SIZE-RAM-ftopict57036.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=286714

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

Serial Presence Detect (SPD) is a small EEPROM mounted on the DIMM that contains information about the DIMM module's size, data width, speed, voltage, etc.
The Serial Presence Detect helps the system bios identify the memory as the correct type and properly configure the memory.

--
From Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI

68,827 BIOS strings in my database just now!
BIOS Support: http://www.supportbios.info/Default2.asp?Idioma=EN
Wim's BIOS Forums moderator
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/index.php

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:39:00 -0400, Viveksheel wrote:

> Could someone please tell me how does the BIOS in the PC identify
> the size of the installed RAM during POST

They may use the SPD data now, I'm not sure, but before that it was simply
write to segments and see if it was there. At least that what I did to
determine memtop on pre PC machines.

TRENDING THREADS