Microphone problems

Hello

I'm having some trouble setting up a microphone on my PC.
I have Windows XP. I have already done a search on my
problem but none of the solutions helped.

OK well when I go to "Sounds and Audio Devices" in
Control Panel, then I click "Voice" and "Test Hardware".
It then pauses for about 5 seconds and says:

"An error occurred during DirectPlay voice setup.
The error code is 0x80004001"

I then click "OK" and this happens:

"Windows cannot execute DpvSetup, use Add/Remove Programs
Control Panel to install"

I can't find anything in add/remove programs.

It's quite frustrating since I'm actually wanting to hook
up my guitar to my PC to do some recordings but it won't
even work with a standard microphone.

Please can someone help and if you require any more info
I'll be happy to supply it.

Thanks in advance

Here's what worked for me: Try downloading and installing the latest version of DirectX 9.0b. That did it for me.
Bob