Anybody Know How to Clean a Mouse?

I'm talking about the outside shell, not the innards. You know, the
yellowish tint that develops over time, at least on my MS Intellimouse?

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks in advance,
Rick
16 answers Last reply
More about anybody clean mouse

    I clean my mouse with alcohol and it does a great job. I use a mans
    handkerchief and put a small amount of alcohol at a time on it and wipe
    away. It dries quick and does a nice job.
    Donna J.

    "Rick" <rick@mynews.com> wrote in message
    > I'm talking about the outside shell, not the innards. You know, the
    > yellowish tint that develops over time, at least on my MS Intellimouse?
    >
    > Any ideas or solutions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Rick

    The "yellowish tint" needs to be removed by a cream cleanser because the
    tint is starting to be "absorbed" by the plastic.

    "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > I clean my mouse with alcohol and it does a great job. I use a mans
    > handkerchief and put a small amount of alcohol at a time on it and wipe
    > away. It dries quick and does a nice job.
    > Donna J.
    >
    > "Rick" <rick@mynews.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm talking about the outside shell, not the innards. You know, the
    > > yellowish tint that develops over time, at least on my MS Intellimouse?
    > >
    > > Any ideas or solutions?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Rick

    Try 400 and 600 grit wet/dry paper or a 3M woven pad.

    | The "yellowish tint" needs to be removed by a cream
    cleanser because the
    | tint is starting to be "absorbed" by the plastic.
    |

    | "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    | > I clean my mouse with alcohol and it does a great job.
    I use a mans
    | > handkerchief and put a small amount of alcohol at a time
    on it and wipe
    | > away. It dries quick and does a nice job.
    | > Donna J.
    | >
    | > "Rick" <rick@mynews.com> wrote in message
    | > > I'm talking about the outside shell, not the innards.
    You know, the
    | > > yellowish tint that develops over time, at least on my
    MS Intellimouse?

    | > > Any ideas or solutions?
    | > >
    | > > Thanks in advance,
    | > > Rick

    So...do I mix alcohol with a cream cleanser and apply it with a 3M woven pad
    <g>?

    Seriously, you guys (Donna included) are great...and thanks again for the
    advice!

    Rick

    > Try 400 and 600 grit wet/dry paper or a 3M woven pad.
    >

    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    > | The "yellowish tint" needs to be removed by a cream
    > cleanser because the
    > | tint is starting to be "absorbed" by the plastic.
    > |

    > | "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    > | > I clean my mouse with alcohol and it does a great job.
    > I use a mans
    > | > handkerchief and put a small amount of alcohol at a time
    > on it and wipe
    > | > away. It dries quick and does a nice job.
    > | > Donna J.
    > | >
    > | > "Rick" <rick@mynews.com> wrote in message
    > You know, the
    > MS Intellimouse?

    Rick,
    Hope it works for you. It does a great job on my mouse. I don't think I
    would try the combination of all our answers here though. :-)
    They do get yucky after a while, don't they?

    > So...do I mix alcohol with a cream cleanser and apply it with a 3M woven
    pad
    > <g>?
    >
    > Seriously, you guys (Donna included) are great...and thanks again for the
    > advice!
    >
    > Rick
    >

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    > > Try 400 and 600 grit wet/dry paper or a 3M woven pad.
    > >

    > > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    > > | The "yellowish tint" needs to be removed by a cream
    > > cleanser because the
    > > | tint is starting to be "absorbed" by the plastic.
    > > |

    > > | "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    > > I use a mans
    > > on it and wipe

    > > You know, the
    > > MS Intellimouse?

    If staining of the plastic is a problem, quality paint can
    give you a custom look of any color. You can even paint
    eyes, nose and teeth on your mouse.

    | Rick,
    | Hope it works for you. It does a great job on my mouse.
    I don't think I
    | would try the combination of all our answers here though.
    :-)
    | They do get yucky after a while, don't they?
    |
    | Donna J.
    |
    | "Rick" <rick@mynews.com> wrote in message
    | > So...do I mix alcohol with a cream cleanser and apply it
    with a 3M woven
    | pad
    | > <g>?
    | >
    | > Seriously, you guys (Donna included) are great...and
    thanks again for the
    | > advice!
    | >
    | > Rick
    | >

    | > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote in message
    | > > Try 400 and 600 grit wet/dry paper or a 3M woven pad.
    | > >

    | > > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in
    message
    | > > cleanser because the
    | > > |
    | > > |
    | > > |

    great job.
    | > > I use a mans
    | > > on it and wipe

    | > > You know, the
    | > > MS Intellimouse?

    | > > |
    | > > |

    Ah, how cute. Any mouse or just the MS Intellimouse?
    Need to brighten it up a bit.
    Donna J.

    > If staining of the plastic is a problem, quality paint can
    > give you a custom look of any color. You can even paint
    > eyes, nose and teeth on your mouse.
    >

    > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > | Rick,
    > | Hope it works for you. It does a great job on my mouse.
    > I don't think I
    > | would try the combination of all our answers here though.
    > :-)
    > | They do get yucky after a while, don't they?
    > |
    > | Donna J.
    > |
    > | "Rick" <rick@mynews.com> wrote in message
    > | > So...do I mix alcohol with a cream cleanser and apply it
    > with a 3M woven
    > | pad
    > | > <g>?
    > | >
    > | > Seriously, you guys (Donna included) are great...and
    > thanks again for the
    > | > advice!
    > | >
    > | > Rick
    > | >

    > | > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    > wrote in message

    > message
    > | > > |
    > | > > |
    > | > > |

    > great job.
    > a time

    > innards.
    > on my

    > | > > |
    > | > > |

    There is a guy they call Yoshi on The Screensavers
    (www.Techtv.com ) who used to do motorcycle paint jibs and
    now does computer mods. He has even written a book on the
    subject. He takes mice apart, sands the surface smooth,
    cleans it with the proper solvent, primes and paints with
    automotive or model airplane paint.
    I haven't done this, I like my MS Trackball Optical as it
    is, sitting there with a big red eye.

    | Ah, how cute. Any mouse or just the MS Intellimouse?
    | Need to brighten it up a bit.
    | Donna J.

    in message
    | > If staining of the plastic is a problem, quality paint
    can
    | > give you a custom look of any color. You can even paint
    | > eyes, nose and teeth on your mouse.
    | >

    | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    | > | Rick,
    | > | Hope it works for you. It does a great job on my
    mouse.
    | > I don't think I
    | > | would try the combination of all our answers here
    though.
    | > :-)
    | > | They do get yucky after a while, don't they?
    | > |
    | > | Donna J.
    | > |
    | > | "Rick" <rick@mynews.com> wrote in message
    apply it
    | > with a 3M woven
    | > | pad

    | > thanks again for the

    | > message
    plastic.
    | > | > > |
    | > | > > |

    | > great job.
    | > a time

    | > innards.
    | > on my

    | > | > > |
    | > | > > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Jim,
    I found the URL you sent. I love collecting "pigs" I have just a plain old
    gray HP mouse. It is kind of skinny, I'm good with painting but not
    artistically to be able to paint faces and things like that. Hmmmm, now you
    have me wanting to ReMod my mouse. Might brighten it up a bit.
    Thanks, Donna J.

    > There is a guy they call Yoshi on The Screensavers
    > (www.Techtv.com ) who used to do motorcycle paint jibs and
    > now does computer mods. He has even written a book on the
    > subject. He takes mice apart, sands the surface smooth,
    > cleans it with the proper solvent, primes and paints with
    > automotive or model airplane paint.
    > I haven't done this, I like my MS Trackball Optical as it
    > is, sitting there with a big red eye.
    >
    > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > | Ah, how cute. Any mouse or just the MS Intellimouse?
    > | Need to brighten it up a bit.
    > | Donna J.
    > |
    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message
    > | > If staining of the plastic is a problem, quality paint
    > can
    > | > give you a custom look of any color. You can even paint
    > | > eyes, nose and teeth on your mouse.
    > | >

    > | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    > mouse.
    > | > I don't think I
    > though.
    > | > :-)
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > apply it
    > | > with a 3M woven

    > | > thanks again for the

    > pad.

    > in
    > | > message
    > cream
    > plastic.
    > | > | > > |
    > | > | > > |
    > | > | > > |

    > | > great job.
    > at
    > | > a time

    > | > innards.
    > least
    > | > on my

    > | > | > > |
    > | > | > > |

    > | > |
    > | > |

    Paint it gray and do a photo transfer of a mouse picture.
    If you mess up, you can always sand the job again and start
    over.

    | Jim,
    | I found the URL you sent. I love collecting "pigs" I
    have just a plain old
    | gray HP mouse. It is kind of skinny, I'm good with
    painting but not
    | artistically to be able to paint faces and things like
    that. Hmmmm, now you
    | have me wanting to ReMod my mouse. Might brighten it up a
    bit.
    | Thanks, Donna J.

    in message
    | > There is a guy they call Yoshi on The Screensavers
    | > (www.Techtv.com ) who used to do motorcycle paint jibs
    and
    | > now does computer mods. He has even written a book on
    the
    | > subject. He takes mice apart, sands the surface smooth,
    | > cleans it with the proper solvent, primes and paints
    with
    | > automotive or model airplane paint.
    | > I haven't done this, I like my MS Trackball Optical as
    it
    | > is, sitting there with a big red eye.
    | >
    | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    | > | Ah, how cute. Any mouse or just the MS Intellimouse?
    | > | Need to brighten it up a bit.
    | > | Donna J.
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message
    | > can

    | > mouse.
    | > though.
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > apply it

    great...and

    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    | > pad.

    | > in
    | > cream
    | > plastic.
    | > | > | > > |
    | > | > | > > |

    does a
    | > at

    | > least

    | > | > | > > |
    | > | > | > > |

    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Jim
    Now that's an idea, just to paint it gray, but what about a cute little
    gray "pig" . Just need to fatten it up a little bit.
    Donna J.

    > Paint it gray and do a photo transfer of a mouse picture.
    > If you mess up, you can always sand the job again and start
    > over.
    >

    > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > | Jim,
    > | I found the URL you sent. I love collecting "pigs" I
    > have just a plain old
    > | gray HP mouse. It is kind of skinny, I'm good with
    > painting but not
    > | artistically to be able to paint faces and things like
    > that. Hmmmm, now you
    > | have me wanting to ReMod my mouse. Might brighten it up a
    > bit.
    > | Thanks, Donna J.
    > |

    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message
    > | > There is a guy they call Yoshi on The Screensavers
    > | > (www.Techtv.com ) who used to do motorcycle paint jibs
    > and
    > | > now does computer mods. He has even written a book on
    > the
    > | > subject. He takes mice apart, sands the surface smooth,
    > | > cleans it with the proper solvent, primes and paints
    > with
    > | > automotive or model airplane paint.
    > | > I haven't done this, I like my MS Trackball Optical as
    > it
    > | > is, sitting there with a big red eye.
    > | >
    > | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    > | > |
    > wrote
    > | > in message
    > paint
    > | > can
    > paint

    > | > mouse.
    > | > though.
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |
    > | > apply it

    > great...and

    > <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    > woven
    > | > pad.

    > wrote
    > | > in
    > | > cream
    > | > plastic.
    > | > | > | > > |
    > | > | > | > > |
    > | > | > | > > |

    > does a
    > alcohol
    > | > at

    > the
    > at
    > | > least

    > | > | > | > > |
    > | > | > | > > |

    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |

    A pig is light tan and pink splotches.

    | Jim
    | Now that's an idea, just to paint it gray, but what
    about a cute little
    | gray "pig" . Just need to fatten it up a little bit.
    | Donna J.

    in message
    | > Paint it gray and do a photo transfer of a mouse
    picture.
    | > If you mess up, you can always sand the job again and
    start
    | > over.
    | >

    | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    | > | Jim,
    | > | I found the URL you sent. I love collecting "pigs" I
    | > have just a plain old
    | > | gray HP mouse. It is kind of skinny, I'm good with
    | > painting but not
    | > | artistically to be able to paint faces and things like
    | > that. Hmmmm, now you
    | > | have me wanting to ReMod my mouse. Might brighten it
    up a
    | > bit.
    | > | Thanks, Donna J.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message
    | > and
    | > the
    smooth,
    | > with
    | > it

    Intellimouse?
    | > | > |
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    | > wrote
    | > paint
    | > paint

    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |

    | > great...and

    | > <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>

    | > woven

    | > wrote

    | > | > | > | > > |
    | > | > | > | > > |
    message
    | > | > | > | > > |

    | > does a
    | > alcohol

    message

    | > the
    | > at

    | > | > | > | > > |
    | > | > | > | > > |

    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |

    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Jim,
    I have pigs all different colors. But now that you mention it, I don't
    have a gray one. Hmm.
    Donna J.

    > A pig is light tan and pink splotches.
    >

    > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > | Jim
    > | Now that's an idea, just to paint it gray, but what
    > about a cute little
    > | gray "pig" . Just need to fatten it up a little bit.
    > | Donna J.
    > |
    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message
    > | > Paint it gray and do a photo transfer of a mouse
    > picture.
    > | > If you mess up, you can always sand the job again and
    > start
    > | > over.
    > | >

    > | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    > | > have just a plain old
    > | > painting but not
    > | > that. Hmmmm, now you
    > up a
    > | > bit.
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > wrote
    > | > in message
    > jibs
    > | > and
    > on
    > | > the
    > smooth,
    > | > with
    > as
    > | > it

    > Intellimouse?
    > | > | > |
    > <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    > | > wrote
    > | > paint
    > even
    > | > paint

    > on my
    > here
    > | > | > | > |
    > | > | > | > |
    > | > | > | > |
    > and

    > | > great...and

    > | > <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>

    > | > woven

    > | > wrote

    > by
    > | > | > | > | > > |
    > | > | > | > | > > |
    > message
    > | > | > | > | > > |

    > | > does a
    > | > alcohol
    > job.

    > message

    > not
    > | > the
    > time,
    > | > at

    > | > | > | > | > > |
    > | > | > | > | > > |

    > | > | > | > |
    > | > | > | > |

    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Let your artistic skills and imagination run wild.

    | Jim,
    | I have pigs all different colors. But now that you
    mention it, I don't
    | have a gray one. Hmm.
    | Donna J.

    in message
    | > A pig is light tan and pink splotches.
    | >

    | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    | > | Jim
    | > | Now that's an idea, just to paint it gray, but what
    | > about a cute little
    | > | gray "pig" . Just need to fatten it up a little bit.
    | > | Donna J.
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message
    | > picture.
    | > start

    "pigs" I
    | > up a
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    | > wrote
    Screensavers
    paint
    | > jibs
    | > on
    | > smooth,
    Optical
    | > as

    | > Intellimouse?
    | > | > | > |
    | > <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    | > even

    | > on my
    answers
    | > here
    they?
    | > | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > | > |

    <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com>

    | > by
    | > | > | > | > | > > |
    | > | > | > | > | > > |
    | > message
    | > | > | > | > | > > |

    and it
    amount of
    | > job.

    | > message

    | > not
    | > time,

    | > | > | > | > | > > |
    | > | > | > | > | > > |

    | > | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > | > |

    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |

    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Sounds good, maybe a "wild" pig, HA.
    Thanks for the advice, Donna J.

    > Let your artistic skills and imagination run wild.
    >

    > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > | Jim,
    > | I have pigs all different colors. But now that you
> [...]
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    It's fun and I had a good time too.

    | Sounds good, maybe a "wild" pig, HA.
    | Thanks for the advice, Donna J.

    in message
    | > Let your artistic skills and imagination run wild.
    | >

    | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    | > | Jim,
    | > | I have pigs all different colors. But now that you
    | > mention it, I don't
    | > | have a gray one. Hmm.
    | > | Donna J.
    | > |