Access point. Help please

Further to my previous plea for help I'd be very grateful if somebody could
just clarify what additional hardware I need before i can set up my WiFi
system.
I have a computer with a PCI wireless network adaptor card in it (model MSI
PC54G2). This computer is linked to the internet via a USB non wireless
Zyxel modem. I have a second desktop computer that I want to put upstairs
and share the internet connection and peripherals such as printers etc. This
computer has a USBwireless G network adaptor. Do i just need to purchase an
access point or do i need a new modem. I'm still a bit confused.

Thanks very much indeed.

Andy

Malke

AndyPr wrote:

> Further to my previous plea for help I'd be very grateful if somebody
> could just clarify what additional hardware I need before i can set up
> my WiFi system.
> I have a computer with a PCI wireless network adaptor card in it
> (model MSI PC54G2). This computer is linked to the internet via a USB
> non wireless Zyxel modem. I have a second desktop computer that I want
> to put upstairs and share the internet connection and peripherals such
> as printers etc. This computer has a USBwireless G network adaptor. Do
> i just need to purchase an access point or do i need a new modem. I'm
> still a bit confused.
>
> Thanks very much indeed.
>
> Andy

Here is a link from Linksys which will help you in deciding what to get
and how to set it up. Of course you don't have to buy Linksys
equipment; I just think this webpage is laid out very well and makes
networking much clearer:

http://www.linksys.com/edu/

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Hi Malke.
Thanks very much indeed for that link. It suddenly makes everything much
clearer to me. I appreciate it you taking the time to help me out.

Andy

Malke

AndyPr wrote:

> Hi Malke.
> Thanks very much indeed for that link. It suddenly makes everything
> much clearer to me. I appreciate it you taking the time to help me
> out.
>
> Andy

Great! And *I* appreciate it that you let me know I helped.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

One other item you will need. Since you are using a USB modem, you can not
connect it directly to your wireless router. So you will have to run an
internet sharing program on the computer connected to the modem called a
proxy. There are many out there, just do a search on the web. I used one
awhile back called WinGate.

But if its in your budget and want to make things easier, get a modem that
supports ethernet connections.