What Should I Do about the RAM?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

I have
Shuttle AN35N Ultra V1.1

And currently I only have 512 MB RAM in one of the three slots.
I noticed on
http://www.samintl.com/mem/n15787.htm
Maximum Memory: 1.5GB Using 400MHz DDR modules
3GB Using 266MHz or 333MHz DDR modules

I can afford it now, and I want to max out the RAM but was disappointed
to see I would lose some speed if I did. Is the difference between 400
and 333 (I imagine this refers to Front Side Buss speed) noticeable?
Should I just go with 1.5 GB RAM for now until I make a new system?

And while, I'm asking, what's the best way to shop for memory? It looks
like
http://www.buy.com/
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/index.asp?store=7
http://www.newegg.com/

are offering the cheapest deals, but I've never done business with any
of them.

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:20:11 GMT, "Nehmo"
<nehmo54@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have
>Shuttle AN35N Ultra V1.1
>
>And currently I only have 512 MB RAM in one of the three slots.
>I noticed on
>http://www.samintl.com/mem/n15787.htm
>Maximum Memory: 1.5GB Using 400MHz DDR modules
>3GB Using 266MHz or 333MHz DDR modules
>
>I can afford it now, and I want to max out the RAM

Why? You'd be pouring a signficant amount of $ into a
system now technologically eclipsed. Do you have a specific
need for memory capacity but not overall system performance?

>but was disappointed
>to see I would lose some speed if I did.

This is actually the case with any board, Shuttle was just
being more forthcoming than many. I dont' mean specficially
that about or bus speeds, but rather in general, the more
modules you use the slower the memory needs operate to
remain stable. This issue may be masked a large part of the
time because there is a large stabiliy margin (hopefully)
with only one or two modules.

In other cases, when more modules are added the bios drops
the memory speed by increasing the timings- it's still
slower from a throughput stance. The fastest configuration
is two modules (to get dual channel mode) and only enough
memory for all your tasks plus any/all file caching possible
(when a PC typically used, if it's a special-purpose system
instead then that purpose must be considered).

>Is the difference between 400
>and 333 (I imagine this refers to Front Side Buss speed) noticeable?

In most uses, no. In benchmarks, yes. In gaming where your
framerates were marginal, yes. In video editing or encoding
times, yes.

>Should I just go with 1.5 GB RAM for now until I make a new system?

I suppose it's a silly question, but why are you wanting to
increase memory and how much do you really feel you "need"?
In your most demanding tasks, what does Task Manager show as
peak memory load? Add 100-200 MB to that for misc. caching
and go from there.

I do think it might be excessive to go beyond 1.5GB with
that system. You haven't mentioned the most demanding tasks
though, we can't know where your current bottleneck is.
Maybe it is memory, or maybe CPU or video or hard drives-
only you can know this at present.

Personally, if I had that box and was using it for typical
tasks, I'd just buy one same-speed-or-faster 512MB module.
If you have plans to upgrade the whole system later to
something that uses DDR(1), you might consider buying one,
1GB module, with good enough specs that you expect it to run
in the next system. We dont' know your timing for system
upgrade to newer motherboard though, it's a bit hard to
recommend anything with no data on use, memory load, budget,
upgrade period, etc.

>And while, I'm asking, what's the best way to shop for memory? It looks
>like
>http://www.buy.com/
>http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/index.asp?store=7
>http://www.newegg.com/
>
>are offering the cheapest deals, but I've never done business with any
>of them.

All 3 are sold sources but my experience with buy.com is
that if they run out of stock your order may be stuck in
limbo and you may end up wasting time trying to resolve that
or check on the order. Problem is that their website shows
"in stock" status on items that aren't in stock, because
they don't update stock status in a timely manner and it is
not realtime status. I only use buy.com when the price
difference is significant and there is no rush if/when there
is a delay.

Buy name-brand memory instead of generic. The quality grade
(actually not quality but rather timings) should dictate
pricing so buy what the budget allows and can be justified.
IMO, get CAS2.5 at least, not CAS3 unless memory performance
isn't at issue and you just need a boatload of cheap memory
(which is usually not the case with "PC" system usage).

In summary, I wouldn't try to max out that system with
memory especially if it meant dropping down to DDR333 FSB
without a clear reason to do so.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

- Nehmo –
Thank you for the thorough and educated answer.

- kony -
> Why? [max out the RAM] You'd be pouring a signficant amount of $ into
> system now technologically eclipsed.

- Nehmo –
A one GB (Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
(PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model
KVR400X64C3AK2/1G) right now sells for just under $90 (counting
shipping) http://secure.chiefvalue.com/app/shoppingcart.asp?submit=view
.. If I totally go for a new system, I’d have to upgrade to something
that takes an AMD Athlon 64
http://snipurl.com/6k0p , that is, with a socket 754. and the investment
would be plenty higher, and I’d still need RAM.

- kony -
> Do you have a specific
> need for memory capacity but not overall system performance?

- Nehmo –
I’m learning the CAD programs, like Autodesk Architectural Desktop. And
I always wanted to keep a lot of things open on the task bar.

- kony -
> The fastest configuration
> is two modules (to get dual channel mode) and only enough
> memory for all your tasks plus any/all file caching possible

- Nehmo –
So I should probably abandon the idea of filling out the slots. You’re
convincing me I should just go with another 1GB. You said two modules is
the fastest (and I’ve heard that elsewhere too), but what about three?
Are three 512 MB modules faster than one 512 + one 1GB? Should I use one
1GB module or two 512 MB modules?

- kony -
> I do think it might be excessive to go beyond 1.5GB with
> that system. You haven't mentioned the most demanding tasks
> though, we can't know where your current bottleneck is.
> Maybe it is memory, or maybe CPU or video or hard drives-
> only you can know this at present.
>
> Personally, if I had that box and was using it for typical
> tasks, I'd just buy one same-speed-or-faster 512MB module.
> If you have plans to upgrade the whole system later to
> something that uses DDR(1), you might consider buying one,
> 1GB module, with good enough specs that you expect it to run
> in the next system. We dont' know your timing for system
> upgrade to newer motherboard though, it's a bit hard to
> recommend anything with no data on use, memory load, budget,
> upgrade period, etc.

- Nehmo –
About the future, I’m not sure myself. But when I get a new system, I’ll
probably get a new case and everything, and leave this one working
rather than scavenging from it.

Anyway, my choice now has narrowed down to buying one 1GB or two 512
MBs.
Budget? I was planning to spend about $200 (when I was thinking about
2GB), but I easilty could still do that buying this or that other thing.

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:20:11 UTC in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle, "Nehmo"
<nehmo54@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I can afford it now, and I want to max out the RAM but was disappointed
> to see I would lose some speed if I did. Is the difference between 400
> and 333 (I imagine this refers to Front Side Buss speed) noticeable?

What CPU do you have installed in it?

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:53:26 GMT, "Nehmo"
<nehmo54@hotmail.com> wrote:

>- kony -
>> Do you have a specific
>> need for memory capacity but not overall system performance?
>
>- Nehmo –
>I’m learning the CAD programs, like Autodesk Architectural Desktop. And
>I always wanted to keep a lot of things open on the task bar.

You need to determine a peak memory load. Until you do
this, you won't know what the best configuration for memory
is.

>- Nehmo –
>So I should probably abandon the idea of filling out the slots. You’re
>convincing me I should just go with another 1GB.

See above, figure out how much you need.

>You said two modules is
>the fastest (and I’ve heard that elsewhere too), but what about three?

What about three? If two is fastest, then three is slower
than 2.

>Are three 512 MB modules faster than one 512 + one 1GB? Should I use one
>1GB module or two 512 MB modules?

Since you already have one 512MB module, why ask?
Determine how much memory, add that much (in total) with
least # of modules necessary. There is no need to get rid
of the 512MB module and no point in spending more $ than
necessary for some minor gain on a now-aging platform. Just
add another 1 module if you need it, another 2 if you need a
LOT more memory. It all begins with determining the amount
you need to add, nothing comes before this step.

>- Nehmo –
>About the future, I’m not sure myself. But when I get a new system, I’ll
>probably get a new case and everything, and leave this one working
>rather than scavenging from it.

That's a reasonable plan, BUT if it's no longer your primary
system you aren't likely to need 2GB of memory in it.
Cost-wise it is more effective to be able to reuse memory IF
it fits into your upgrade plan.

>Anyway, my choice now has narrowed down to buying one 1GB or two 512
>MBs.
>Budget? I was planning to spend about $200 (when I was thinking about
>2GB), but I easilty could still do that buying this or that other thing.

I'd buy a single 1GB module of CAS2 or 2.5, but again I have
no idea how much memory you really need.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:20:11 +0000, Nehmo wrote:

> I have
> Shuttle AN35N Ultra V1.1
>
> And currently I only have 512 MB RAM in one of the three slots.
> I noticed on
> http://www.samintl.com/mem/n15787.htm
> Maximum Memory: 1.5GB Using 400MHz DDR modules
> 3GB Using 266MHz or 333MHz DDR modules
>
> I can afford it now, and I want to max out the RAM but was disappointed
> to see I would lose some speed if I did. Is the difference between 400
> and 333 (I imagine this refers to Front Side Buss speed) noticeable?

It doesn't refer to the FSB speed. the ram bus and FSB are totally
different. the FSB connects the chipset to the CPU. The ram bus connects
the ram to the chipset. All IO to the cpu flows over the FSB, including
ram data. This changes with K8's which have the ram bus connected direct
to the cpu. There's a better performance if you run the FSB and ram bus at
the same speed, so if the FSB is 200MHz, then you want the ram bus to be
at 200MHz. If the FSB is 166MHz, you want the ram bus to be 166MHz and not
the faster 200MHz speed. So it all depends on your system setup which you
chose not to disclose.

> Should I just go with 1.5 GB RAM for now until I make a new system?

Why are you adding ram at all? 512M is enough for most people isn't it?
And 1.5M is 3 times what you (are I) have now.

> And while, I'm asking, what's the best way to shop for memory? It looks
> like
> http://www.buy.com/
> http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/index.asp?store=7 http://www.newegg.com/
>
> are offering the cheapest deals, but I've never done business with any
> of them.

I've bought from Newegg and also Buy.com no problems with either.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:24:49 GMT, Wes Newell
<w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:20:11 +0000, Nehmo wrote:
>
>> I have
>> Shuttle AN35N Ultra V1.1
>>
>> And currently I only have 512 MB RAM in one of the three slots.
>> I noticed on
>> http://www.samintl.com/mem/n15787.htm
>> Maximum Memory: 1.5GB Using 400MHz DDR modules
>> 3GB Using 266MHz or 333MHz DDR modules
>>
>> I can afford it now, and I want to max out the RAM but was disappointed
>> to see I would lose some speed if I did. Is the difference between 400
>> and 333 (I imagine this refers to Front Side Buss speed) noticeable?
>
>It doesn't refer to the FSB speed. the ram bus and FSB are totally
>different. the FSB connects the chipset to the CPU. The ram bus connects
>the ram to the chipset. All IO to the cpu flows over the FSB, including
>ram data. This changes with K8's which have the ram bus connected direct
>to the cpu. There's a better performance if you run the FSB and ram bus at
>the same speed, so if the FSB is 200MHz, then you want the ram bus to be
>at 200MHz. If the FSB is 166MHz, you want the ram bus to be 166MHz and not
>the faster 200MHz speed. So it all depends on your system setup which you
>chose not to disclose.

Agreed, though AN35N is Skt. A nforce2.
Further, I failed to mention previously that while
unsupported, it may still be possible to "try" more memory
manually set to DDR400 even if not supported, aka-
guaranteed to work.

>> Should I just go with 1.5 GB RAM for now until I make a new system?
>>
>Why are you adding ram at all? 512M is enough for most people isn't it?
>And 1.5M is 3 times what you (are I) have now.

I don't know about 512MB, that can be cutting it close on
several common apps such as image editing full page scans or
gaming. Sometimes it's not that the task needs the memory,
but that in doing that task, it flushes out the filesystem
cache so it has to be reloaded from HDD.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

- Trevor Hemsley -
> What CPU do you have installed in it?

- Nehmo -
AMD Athlon XP-A, 1243 MHz (12.5 x 99)

--

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:17:55 +0000, Nehmo wrote:

> - Trevor Hemsley -
>> What CPU do you have installed in it?
>
> AMD Athlon XP-A, 1243 MHz (12.5 x 99)

Why are you running an Athlon XP with a 100MHz FSB? The minimum default
FSB of an XP is 133MHz. Your MB is capable of 200MHz FSB. I've never heard
of an XP-A, so your info is about worthless. you need to get your CPU
running at proper speed before you even consider adding ram. If the 12.5
multiplier is the default, there are several different models you could
have. What's the CPUID of your cpu? At worst, you should be able to run
this cpu close to 1800MHz. At best, about 2400MHz.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

- Nehmo -
> > AMD Athlon XP-A, 1243 MHz (12.5 x 99)

- Wes Newell -
> Why are you running an Athlon XP with a 100MHz FSB? The minimum
default
> FSB of an XP is 133MHz. Your MB is capable of 200MHz FSB. I've never
> heard of an XP-A,

- Nehmo -
I used Everest v 1.10.106 to get the CPU description. I think I have
what's called a 2800, but I know that doesn’t refer to speed.

- Wes Newell -
> so your info is about worthless. you need to get your CPU
> running at proper speed before you even consider adding ram. If the
12.5
> multiplier is the default, there are several different models you
could
> have. What's the CPUID of your cpu?

- Nehmo -
Field Value
CPUID Properties
CPUID Manufacturer AuthenticAMD
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon(tm) XP
CPUID Revision 06A0h
Extended CPUID Revision 07A0h
Platform ID CBh (Socket A)
IA CPU Serial Number Unknown

Instruction Set
64-bit x86 Extension Not Supported
AMD 3DNow! Supported
AMD 3DNow! Professional Supported
AMD Enhanced 3DNow! Supported
AMD Extended MMX Supported
Cyrix Extended MMX Not Supported
IA-64 Not Supported
IA MMX Supported
IA SSE Supported
IA SSE 2 Not Supported
IA SSE 3 Not Supported
CLFLUSH Instruction Not Supported
CMPXCHG8B Instruction Supported
CMPXCHG16B Instruction Not Supported
Conditional Move Instruction Supported
FEMMS Instruction Not Supported
MONITOR / MWAIT Instruction Not Supported

CPUID Features
36-bit Page Size Extension Supported
Advanced Cryptography Engine Not Supported
Alternate Instruction Set Not Supported
Automatic Clock Control Not Supported
CPL Qualified Debug Store Not Supported
Debug Trace Store Not Supported
Debugging Extension Supported
Enhanced SpeedStep Technology Not Supported
Fast Save & Restore Supported
Fast System Call Supported
Hyper-Threading Technology Not Supported
L1 Context ID Not Supported
Local APIC On Chip Supported
LongRun Not Supported
LongRun Table Interface Not Supported
Machine-Check Architecture Supported
Machine-Check Exception Supported
Memory Type Range Registers Supported
Model Specific Registers Supported
No-Execute Page Protection Not Supported
Page Attribute Table Supported
Page Global Extension Supported
Page Size Extension Supported
Pending Break Event Not Supported
Physical Address Extension Supported
Processor Duty Cycle Control Not Supported
Processor Serial Number Not Supported
Random Number Generator Not Supported
Self-Snoop Not Supported
Thermal Monitor Not Supported
Thermal Monitor 2 Not Supported
Time Stamp Counter Supported
Virtual Mode Extension Supported

Enhanced Power Management
Frequency ID Control Not Supported
Software Thermal Control Not Supported
Temperature Sensing Diode Supported
Thermal Monitoring Not Supported
Thermal Trip Not Supported
Voltage ID Control Not Supported

Here's the FSB properties:

(Motherboard Name Shuttle AN35(N) Ultra)

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 99 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 199 MHz
Bandwidth 1591 MB/s

- Wes Newell -
> At worst, you should be able to run
> this cpu close to 1800MHz. At best, about 2400MHz.

- Nehmo -
Okay, how do I change the FSB speed? Or the multiplier factor? Are they
in the BIOS settings?

--

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:30:08 +0000, Nehmo wrote:

> I used Everest v 1.10.106 to get the CPU description. I think I have
> what's called a 2800, but I know that doesn't refer to speed.
>
> CPUID Revision 06A0h

Barton core with a default 12.65 multiplier would mean a 2800+.

> (Motherboard Name Shuttle AN35(N) Ultra)
>
> Front Side Bus Properties
> Real Clock 99 MHz (DDR)

This should be 166MHz for default speed.

> Okay, how do I change the FSB speed? Or the multiplier factor? Are they
> in the BIOS settings?

Check your MB manual. Either jumpers, bios, or both for settings. Set
properly you will notice a huge performance increase.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

- Nehmo -
> > (Motherboard Name Shuttle AN35(N) Ultra)
> > Front Side Bus Properties
> > Real Clock 99 MHz (DDR)

- Wes Newell -
> This should be 166MHz for default speed.

- Nehmo -
In the BIOS Under Advanced Chipset Features there’s this item:
FSB Frequency
This item select FSB frequency.
??The Choice: 100MHz, 102~123MHz, 125MHz, 127~148MHz,
150MHz, 152~175MHz, 177~200MHz, 202~211MHz, 213~
223MHz, 225MHz, 227~250MHz.

So would you say I should change it to 152~175MHz? Is this the setting
that should be changed?

--

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 23:54:39 +0000, Nehmo wrote:

> - Nehmo -
>> > (Motherboard Name Shuttle AN35(N) Ultra)
>> > Front Side Bus Properties
>> > Real Clock 99 MHz (DDR)
>
> - Wes Newell -
>> This should be 166MHz for default speed.
>
> - Nehmo -
> FSB Frequency
> This item select FSB frequency.
> ??The Choice: 100MHz, 102~123MHz, 125MHz, 127~148MHz,
> 150MHz, 152~175MHz, 177~200MHz, 202~211MHz, 213~
> 223MHz, 225MHz, 227~250MHz.
>
> So would you say I should change it to 152~175MHz? Is this the setting
> that should be changed?

Set it to 166, or higher if you want to overclock the cpu. You should be
able to set it in increments of 1.

Latest posts