XP not shutting down or restarting

terry

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is an XP problem or a hardware issue.
I have loaded XP inc SP1 & Security updates on an AOPEN
MX4SG-4DN with a Prescott 2.8 Processor and 512 MB RAM. My
problem is that the PC will not restart when requested by
XP nor will it turn off when a shutdown is requested. In
both cases, the screen goes black, the HDD LED remains on
and the power supply remains energised. Following a reset
or a power off, the system works correctly, no errors in
any of the logs all devices functioning correctly. If this
is a known issue, I would appreciate if someone can point
me towards a patch to fix it.
Regards

Terry, take a look in the Bios. There maybe a setting that has to be
enabled.
"Terry" <bicter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm not sure if this is an XP problem or a hardware issue.
> I have loaded XP inc SP1 & Security updates on an AOPEN
> MX4SG-4DN with a Prescott 2.8 Processor and 512 MB RAM. My
> problem is that the PC will not restart when requested by
> XP nor will it turn off when a shutdown is requested. In
> both cases, the screen goes black, the HDD LED remains on
> and the power supply remains energised. Following a reset
> or a power off, the system works correctly, no errors in
> any of the logs all devices functioning correctly. If this
> is a known issue, I would appreciate if someone can point
> me towards a patch to fix it.
> Regards

Will it shutdown when you press the power button?
Perform BIOS update.
Check your power supply.