HP Deskjet 895Cxi - lots of flashing lights - what does it..

I've got a problem with my printer that is getting worse. After printing
for a few seconds or minutes (roughly somewhere between 10 seconds to 2
minutes) the printer stops and all the LEDs on the front start very
rapidly in what looks like a ladder pattern. I can't find any information
about this in the manual.

I'd be inclined to think it might be something to do with the printer
being network connected. However it's worked fine in its current setup for
months so I suspect it's the printer. I'm currently directly connecting it
to a computer to see if I can reproduce the problem. The printouts, when
they work, are good quality so I think the nozzles probably don't need
cleaning. I'll clean them anyway. When the problem started I changed the
colour cartridge and that made no difference.

Dougie

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:07:56 +0100, Dougie Nisbet wrote:

> I'd be inclined to think it might be something to do with the printer
> being network connected. However it's worked fine in its current setup for
> months so I suspect it's the printer. I'm currently directly connecting
> it to a computer to see if I can reproduce the problem. The printouts,
> when they work, are good quality so I think the nozzles probably don't
> need cleaning. I'll clean them anyway. When the problem started I
> changed the colour cartridge and that made no difference.

Interesting - definitely a printer problem. Just managed to reproduce
problem using a direct parallel connection to an XP machine.

Trev

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2001

Take a look at the HP web site And you will find the meaning of lights
I had a similar problem and it turned out that the paper was not placed
in the tray square enough.

"Dougie Nisbet" <pan@highmoor.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've got a problem with my printer that is getting worse. After
printing
> for a few seconds or minutes (roughly somewhere between 10 seconds to
2
> minutes) the printer stops and all the LEDs on the front start very
> rapidly in what looks like a ladder pattern. I can't find any
information
> about this in the manual.
>
> I'd be inclined to think it might be something to do with the printer
> being network connected. However it's worked fine in its current setup
for
> months so I suspect it's the printer. I'm currently directly
connecting it
> to a computer to see if I can reproduce the problem. The printouts,
when
> they work, are good quality so I think the nozzles probably don't need
> cleaning. I'll clean them anyway. When the problem started I changed
the
> colour cartridge and that made no difference.
>
> Dougie

Take all the paper out and try printing something. Does the pattern of
flashing lights look the same? If so perhaps there is a problem with the
paper sensor?

"Dougie Nisbet" <pan@highmoor.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've got a problem with my printer that is getting worse. After printing
> for a few seconds or minutes (roughly somewhere between 10 seconds to 2
> minutes) the printer stops and all the LEDs on the front start very
> rapidly in what looks like a ladder pattern. I can't find any information
> about this in the manual.
>
> I'd be inclined to think it might be something to do with the printer
> being network connected. However it's worked fine in its current setup for
> months so I suspect it's the printer. I'm currently directly connecting it
> to a computer to see if I can reproduce the problem. The printouts, when
> they work, are good quality so I think the nozzles probably don't need
> cleaning. I'll clean them anyway. When the problem started I changed the
> colour cartridge and that made no difference.
>
> Dougie

Trev

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2001

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 20:10:31 +0100, Trev wrote:

> http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&prodId=hpdeskjet88117&docName=bpd09169&cat=solve
>
> Looks bad

It does a bit. However I'm currently having some fun with a Brother
HL-8e (anyone know where I can download any docs for this beast?) and an
Epson Stylus Color 300 that I picked up 2nd hand from a local PC shop.

I've been trying to take my deskjet to bits but it isn't very take to
bitsable. I'm having the same problem as described in
http://fixyourownprinter.com/printer/3/2096.html. Since it's pretty much
skip-fodder now there's nothing to lose by prodding it here and there with
an oily rag.

Dougie