Old Windows not networking?

We have an old Windows 98 S.E. on a Windows XP network, the new LAN card is
wireless, we can see the internet just fine, but for some strange reason or
another it can not see the other computers on the network.

It is in the same workgroup, which is MSHOME, and it see's MSHOME just fine.
But not the other computers?

Any ideas?

DM.
2 answers Last reply
More about windows networking

    If you'd like to work this through one-on-one, send me an email and I'll
    walk you through the steps.

    Carey@careyholzman.com

    "tlc_13200@hotmail.com" <tlc13200hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:6EDC82B5-A10D-4D10-B899-1FBA82D7CF3E@microsoft.com...

    tlc_13200@hotmail.com wrote:

    > We have an old Windows 98 S.E. on a Windows XP network, the new LAN card is
    > wireless, we can see the internet just fine, but for some strange reason or
    > another it can not see the other computers on the network.
    >
    > It is in the same workgroup, which is MSHOME, and it see's MSHOME just fine.
    > But not the other computers?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > DM.

    Please reply to this message in the news group (not by E-mail) with more
    information, to help other people understand the problem.

    Windows 98 and XP computers on the same LAN require a bit of tweaking.

    Make sure you have NetBIOS Over TCP/IP (Local Area Connection -
    Properties - TCP/IP - Properties - Advanced - WINS) on each computer.

    Make sure the browser service is running on at least 2 Windows XP
    computers. Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services. Verify
    that the Computer Browser, and the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, services both
    show with Status = Started. Disable the browser service on the Windows
    98 computer - the Win98 browser doesn't get along well with the WinXP
    browser.
    http://cms.simons-rock.edu/faq_by_subtopic/node138.html

Wireless Computers Networking Wireless Networking