Old Windows not networking?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
November 16, 2004 8:38:02 PM

We have an old Windows 98 S.E. on a Windows XP network, the new LAN card is
wireless, we can see the internet just fine, but for some strange reason or
another it can not see the other computers on the network.

It is in the same workgroup, which is MSHOME, and it see's MSHOME just fine.
But not the other computers?

Any ideas?

DM.

More about : windows networking

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 16, 2004 10:00:47 PM

If you'd like to work this through one-on-one, send me an email and I'll
walk you through the steps.

Carey@careyholzman.com

"tlc_13200@hotmail.com" <tlc13200hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:6EDC82B5-A10D-4D10-B899-1FBA82D7CF3E@microsoft.com...
> We have an old Windows 98 S.E. on a Windows XP network, the new LAN card
> is
> wireless, we can see the internet just fine, but for some strange reason
> or
> another it can not see the other computers on the network.
>
> It is in the same workgroup, which is MSHOME, and it see's MSHOME just
> fine.
> But not the other computers?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> DM.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 17, 2004 10:35:26 AM

tlc_13200@hotmail.com wrote:

> We have an old Windows 98 S.E. on a Windows XP network, the new LAN card is
> wireless, we can see the internet just fine, but for some strange reason or
> another it can not see the other computers on the network.
>
> It is in the same workgroup, which is MSHOME, and it see's MSHOME just fine.
> But not the other computers?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> DM.

Please reply to this message in the news group (not by E-mail) with more
information, to help other people understand the problem.

Windows 98 and XP computers on the same LAN require a bit of tweaking.

Make sure you have NetBIOS Over TCP/IP (Local Area Connection -
Properties - TCP/IP - Properties - Advanced - WINS) on each computer.

Make sure the browser service is running on at least 2 Windows XP
computers. Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services. Verify
that the Computer Browser, and the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, services both
show with Status = Started. Disable the browser service on the Windows
98 computer - the Win98 browser doesn't get along well with the WinXP
browser.
http://cms.simons-rock.edu/faq_by_subtopic/node138.html