Computer rebooting

Hi folks,

Is it possible for updated BIOS's to make one's
system, reboot, and give you bugchecks? in XP?

Has anyone else experienced this?

And also disk failures, and errors saying CD's
have bad blocks? When these errors have NEVER
appeared in Event Viewer before.

The reason why I'm asking is:

I installed a TV tuner with drivers not so long along.
Firstly, the system froze often. So, I got in touch with
Leadtek, and they acknowledged that the drivers
for the tuner weren't compat with HT (the drivers that came, on the CD).

The latest drivers for the tuner, now are compat with HT. So Leadtek say.

Then the system starting rebooting (automatic restart)
is unticked. (this is after I flashed the BIOS to a later version). Then I
noticed that when I disabled
HT (Hyperthreading), it no longer rebooted, which sounded strange to me. So,
I removed the tuner and
the program (the drivers for the tuner are still installed
tho). Then I did a check in Msconfig (and unticked)
the Nvidia commands (NvCpl, NWiz, and NVMctray).

And amazingly, the rebooting stopped, for one day!

I then uninstalled the Nvidia drivers completely the other day. I then
noticed on the Nvidia site that they had
released a new version of the Nvidia drivers (as quite
a few ppl has probs, with the version I had installed
(games crashing, things not working properly).

I reinstalled version 56.72 of the Nvidia drivers
the new version that just came out. And it has still
rebooted itself a few times. The only thing I have
changed is when I flashed the BIOS. (I have reverted
back to the previous BIOS this morning).

As soon as the old Nvidia drivers were removed, I got
a BSOD with the IRQ_EQUAL_OR_LESS message:

something about smwdm.sys, which relates to the
Soundmax icon/drivers for the builtin sound for
this system. So, I went to Add/Remove, and removed
these drivers. Then went to the Asus site and d/l
the latest drivers for Soundmax. And reinstalled them.

And it still rebooted the system a few times after this.

The hardware that is currently in this system has been there for the last
year (minus the tuner). And it has never
rebooted. And never said there have been disk/CD failures, or errors.

So, does this sound like a buggy BIOS flash?
4 answers Last reply
More about computer rebooting

    Paul, no it's not a buggy Bios Flash. You probably will have to try a few
    different Nvidia drivers to see which one will work best with your system
    configuration. Go here www.guru3d.com and download drivers and
    here http://www.etplanet.com/download/ati_nvidia.shtm and download Nasty
    File Remover.
    "Paul" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Is it possible for updated BIOS's to make one's
    > system, reboot, and give you bugchecks? in XP?
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this?
    >
    > And also disk failures, and errors saying CD's
    > have bad blocks? When these errors have NEVER
    > appeared in Event Viewer before.
    >
    > The reason why I'm asking is:
    >
    > I installed a TV tuner with drivers not so long along.
    > Firstly, the system froze often. So, I got in touch with
    > Leadtek, and they acknowledged that the drivers
    > for the tuner weren't compat with HT (the drivers that came, on the CD).
    >
    > The latest drivers for the tuner, now are compat with HT. So Leadtek say.
    >
    > Then the system starting rebooting (automatic restart)
    > is unticked. (this is after I flashed the BIOS to a later version). Then I
    > noticed that when I disabled
    > HT (Hyperthreading), it no longer rebooted, which sounded strange to me.
    So,
    > I removed the tuner and
    > the program (the drivers for the tuner are still installed
    > tho). Then I did a check in Msconfig (and unticked)
    > the Nvidia commands (NvCpl, NWiz, and NVMctray).
    >
    > And amazingly, the rebooting stopped, for one day!
    >
    > I then uninstalled the Nvidia drivers completely the other day. I then
    > noticed on the Nvidia site that they had
    > released a new version of the Nvidia drivers (as quite
    > a few ppl has probs, with the version I had installed
    > (games crashing, things not working properly).
    >
    > I reinstalled version 56.72 of the Nvidia drivers
    > the new version that just came out. And it has still
    > rebooted itself a few times. The only thing I have
    > changed is when I flashed the BIOS. (I have reverted
    > back to the previous BIOS this morning).
    >
    > As soon as the old Nvidia drivers were removed, I got
    > a BSOD with the IRQ_EQUAL_OR_LESS message:
    >
    > something about smwdm.sys, which relates to the
    > Soundmax icon/drivers for the builtin sound for
    > this system. So, I went to Add/Remove, and removed
    > these drivers. Then went to the Asus site and d/l
    > the latest drivers for Soundmax. And reinstalled them.
    >
    > And it still rebooted the system a few times after this.
    >
    > The hardware that is currently in this system has been there for the last
    > year (minus the tuner). And it has never
    > rebooted. And never said there have been disk/CD failures, or errors.
    >
    > So, does this sound like a buggy BIOS flash?

    Hi,

    I don't encourage people to update BIOS unless it is really necessary.
    An improper update of BIOS may turn your PC to a dead stone.
    Have you strictly follow Asus instructions for update of BIOS?
    What method you are using for the BIOS update, auto update or manually download and then flash the BIOS?
    After you flashed the new BIOS, have you load the default set up and then change the necessary settings then save and exit?
    Have you use the Asus Probe utility to check the mobo after you updated the BIOS?

    I suggest you to carefully & thoroughly read the mobo user manual and then rebuild the OS in scratch.

    Peter

    ----- Paul wrote: -----

[...]

    Yes I know how to flash the BIOS

    In the latest version 1016 u MUST use afudos
    and do it from DOS for this mobo. (from 1014
    I think, you HAVE to use Afudos - from DOS).

    This comes with the BIOS update, when u d/l it.

    Which I have done.

    Otherwise, the system wouldnt be going now
    if I didn't know how to use the BIOS.

    NAH not autoupdate, it's safer in DOS. Autoupdate can make a BIOS a dead
    one. If it freezes.

    I have seen in the Asus newsgroups, ppl do this
    because it specifically said to use Afudos. And the
    person used the Windows-based Update, which froze
    and killed the BIOS.

    I dont use Asus probe. Its hopeless. I use AI
    Booster which comes with the mobo.

    And I have read the manual. And reformatted
    this thing, twice in the last week, since I flashed
    the BIOS to 1016, which I think is the culprit.

    BUT today I have reflashed it back to the prev version
    1015, since this thing didnt reboot so much with
    this version of the BIOS. Hopefully, this will stop
    the system from rebooting.

    "Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > the new version that just came out. And it has still
    > rebooted itself a few times. The only thing I have
    > changed is when I flashed the BIOS. (I have reverted
    > back to the previous BIOS this morning).
    >
    > As soon as the old Nvidia drivers were removed, I got
    > a BSOD with the IRQ_EQUAL_OR_LESS message:
    >
    > something about smwdm.sys, which relates to the
    > Soundmax icon/drivers for the builtin sound for
    > this system. So, I went to Add/Remove, and removed
    > these drivers. Then went to the Asus site and d/l
    > the latest drivers for Soundmax. And reinstalled them.
    >
    > And it still rebooted the system a few times after this.
    >
    > The hardware that is currently in this system has been there for the
    last
    > year (minus the tuner). And it has never
    > rebooted. And never said there have been disk/CD failures, or errors.
    >
    > So, does this sound like a buggy BIOS flash?

    Well, I have come to the conclusion that the
    1016 version of this bios for this ASUS P4P800
    mobo, is totally screwed. Im using 1015 now
    the system didnt reboot for 12 hrs!

    Ive chucked the tuner in now.

    With the 1016 BIOS, and when the tuner was
    installed before, the CPU temp went to 43 degrees.

    Now with the tuner in and 1015 BIOS in
    the CPU temp went to 33-35 degrees. I have a
    feeling 1016 has a bug and creates some kind of
    spike, because of this 8 degrees diff. And because
    the tuner is installed in exactly the same PCI
    slot as it was when BOTH BIOS updates
    were used. So, if you have an ASUS P4P800
    mobo, AVOID the 1016 BIOS update.! If you
    use HT.

> [...]
    > > rebooted itself a few times. The only thing I have
    > > changed is when I flashed the BIOS. (I have reverted
    > > back to the previous BIOS this morning).
    > >
    > > As soon as the old Nvidia drivers were removed, I got
    > > a BSOD with the IRQ_EQUAL_OR_LESS message:
    > >
    > > something about smwdm.sys, which relates to the
    > > Soundmax icon/drivers for the builtin sound for
    > > this system. So, I went to Add/Remove, and removed
    > > these drivers. Then went to the Asus site and d/l
    > > the latest drivers for Soundmax. And reinstalled them.
    > >
    > > And it still rebooted the system a few times after this.
    > >
    > > The hardware that is currently in this system has been there for
    the
    > last
    > > year (minus the tuner). And it has never
    > > rebooted. And never said there have been disk/CD failures, or
    errors.

    > > So, does this sound like a buggy BIOS flash?

Tuner Drivers Windows XP