XP not recognizing CD-RW

I have both a dvd-rom and a CD-RW drive in my computer.
When both are connected the XP operating system will not
recognize the CD-RW. I have changed the jumpers on the
units in all combinations with the same results. The Bios
sees both units and the harware manager recognizes the
unit as an atpi cd-rw. If I disconnect the dvd unit then
the CD-RW works fine. I have a dual boot system, when I
start up Windows 2000, both units are recognized and they
both work fine. Anmy suggestions??

Mike

Splendid

See post a page or so down. You might try using Device manager to remove the drive then reboot. XP should then see it and reinstall it properly. Got this advice from Jim M. it worked for me