How to set up a public acess point

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
November 17, 2004 3:37:51 PM

Hi

I have a small hotel, I want to give my guests access to the internet but I
do not want to compromise my own home network.

I currently have 4 pcs networked together with fixed IPs and a wireless
access point that my apple express connects to for music and my daughters
laptop, this has a key to access.

I have been told that I can fit another access point with a different range
of IP addresses and subnet mask that this would enable a connection but stop
people getting to my network.

I have also been told that if I attach another pc to my network fix the ip
and then firewall it from my pcs I could then fit a wireless card share the
connection and this would protect my network as well.

I do not know enough about this, could some one please point me in the right
direction.

Thanks

More about : set public acess point

November 17, 2004 6:42:17 PM

Hi
A simple way to separate your Network from the guests is by creating two
networks.

First Network would be a Router with an Access Point and (or a Wireless
Cable/DSL Router) for the guests Network.

Then plug a second Router's WAN port into a regular port on the Guest's
Router.

Configure the LAN part of the second Router for your Network.

Your Network will be able to access the Internet and the Guest Network, but
the Guest Network will not be able to connect to your Network since the
second Router Firewall (NAT) will block such attempts.

Take into consideration that this does not solved general security problems
that are involved in providing Public Internet access, unfortunately such
issues are beyond the scope of Newsgroup medium.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

http://www.ezlan.net

"yar" <raybright@btclick.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a small hotel, I want to give my guests access to the internet but
> do not want to compromise my own home network.
>
> I currently have 4 pcs networked together with fixed IPs and a wireless
> access point that my apple express connects to for music and my daughters
> laptop, this has a key to access.
>
> I have been told that I can fit another access point with a different
range
> of IP addresses and subnet mask that this would enable a connection but
stop
> people getting to my network.
>
> I have also been told that if I attach another pc to my network fix the ip
> and then firewall it from my pcs I could then fit a wireless card share
the
> connection and this would protect my network as well.
>
> I do not know enough about this, could some one please point me in the
right
> direction.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 18, 2004 3:29:47 AM

Hi,

You could certainly route another subnet off using a wireless AP/router
combo.
You probably have DSL or a cable modem, right?
This would then lead into a router of some type, presumably your current
configuation.
From your current configuration, you could add the new router, and have the
'Public' side of the new router be on your current subnet.

Then you would have a new subnet behind the new router that your guests
could use.

However, I'd reverse it, and put guests in the front subnet, essentially
creating a DMZ.

/---------\
| Internet |
| |
\---------/

\/ PUBLIC IP
[ROUTER]--------------------------------------
[ROUTER 2] -------------------------------------
| 192.168.1.1

/----------\
| Home |
| Clients | 192.168.1.x/24
\----------/

This is NO replacement for proper anti-virus, malware/spyware, personal
firewall, good common-sense practices to protect yourself. Particularly if
you've got a lot of transient traffic in your DMZ, you'll want to make sure
both routers are working well as firewalls, and that all your computers are
running good AV and personal firewalls.

--
HTH,
=d=

Dana Brash
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

dbrash@NOSPAM.gmail.com

"yar" <raybright@btclick.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a small hotel, I want to give my guests access to the internet but
> do not want to compromise my own home network.
>
> I currently have 4 pcs networked together with fixed IPs and a wireless
> access point that my apple express connects to for music and my daughters
> laptop, this has a key to access.
>
> I have been told that I can fit another access point with a different
range
> of IP addresses and subnet mask that this would enable a connection but
stop
> people getting to my network.
>
> I have also been told that if I attach another pc to my network fix the ip
> and then firewall it from my pcs I could then fit a wireless card share
the
> connection and this would protect my network as well.
>
> I do not know enough about this, could some one please point me in the
right
> direction.
>
> Thanks

Related resources
November 18, 2004 3:29:48 AM

Hi

Thanks for the information.

But not know a lot about this, how do I connect another router to the main
router?.

Also what's a DMZ.

Thanks
"Dana Brash" <dbrash@NOSPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 2G8oKMzEHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> do not want to compromise my own home network.
>>
>> I currently have 4 pcs networked together with fixed IPs and a wireless
>> access point that my apple express connects to for music and my daughters
>> laptop, this has a key to access.
>>
>> I have been told that I can fit another access point with a different
> range
>> of IP addresses and subnet mask that this would enable a connection but
> stop
>> people getting to my network.
>>
>> I have also been told that if I attach another pc to my network fix the
>> ip
>> and then firewall it from my pcs I could then fit a wireless card share
> the
>> connection and this would protect my network as well.
>>
>> I do not know enough about this, could some one please point me in the

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 18, 2004 12:16:55 PM

Hi Yar,

Every router has (at least) two ports. Most home office equipment will
refer to these as WAN (Wide Area Network, aka Public) and LAN (Local Area
Network, aka Private). Each of these ports will be assigned an IP address.
In my diagram below, I show the IP addresses on routers on the side of the
router that that port should be plugged into.

To connect another router to the main router, you would simply plug in the
wires. You must then configure the router to use the right IP information.
Jack posted some very clear instructions on how to do this.

DMZ stands for De-Militarized Zone. The concept is that there is a 'safe
zone' that acts as a buffer between two areas. Generally companies will
build a DMZ to host servers that are exposed to the internet (for FTP or web
services for example). In this case, it is an extra layer between your
family's network and the internet, and it would be the place where you allow
your guests to access the internet from.

Without a basic understanding of networking and TCP/IP, this will be a
difficult task. There are plenty of materials out there to read, Google
would be a good place to start, followed by your local bookstore. Also try
this link: http://www.wown.com/

But it sounds to me like you're in the business of running a hotel, and
probably don't want to spend a couple weeks reading up on subnetting and
routing. So delegate.... I am SURE that you either know someone directly,
or someone you know knows someone, who has already done this reading. Find
this person, ask them for their help. Offer to buy them dinner or beers, or
pay them, or whatever they want, and ask them to set it up for you. It
should take them an hour or so if they fully test it. If you are interested
in learning, watch over their shoulder and get them to tell you what they're
doing.

--
HTH,
=d=

Dana Brash
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

dbrash@NOSPAM.gmail.com

"yar" <raybright@btclick.com> wrote in message
news:o YobViNzEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> >> do not want to compromise my own home network.
> >>
> >> I currently have 4 pcs networked together with fixed IPs and a wireless
> >> access point that my apple express connects to for music and my
daughters
> >> laptop, this has a key to access.
> >>
> >> I have been told that I can fit another access point with a different
> > range
> >> of IP addresses and subnet mask that this would enable a connection but
> > stop
> >> people getting to my network.
> >>
> >> I have also been told that if I attach another pc to my network fix the
> >> ip
> >> and then firewall it from my pcs I could then fit a wireless card share
> > the
> >> connection and this would protect my network as well.
> >>
> >> I do not know enough about this, could some one please point me in the

November 18, 2004 12:58:01 PM

Okay thanks for all the help

"Jack" <www.ezlan.net&gt; wrote in message
> Hi
> A simple way to separate your Network from the guests is by creating two
> networks.
>
> First Network would be a Router with an Access Point and (or a Wireless
> Cable/DSL Router) for the guests Network.
>
> Then plug a second Router's WAN port into a regular port on the Guest's
> Router.
>
> Configure the LAN part of the second Router for your Network.
>
> Your Network will be able to access the Internet and the Guest Network,
> but
> the Guest Network will not be able to connect to your Network since the
> second Router Firewall (NAT) will block such attempts.
>
> Take into consideration that this does not solved general security
> problems
> that are involved in providing Public Internet access, unfortunately such
> issues are beyond the scope of Newsgroup medium.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> http://www.ezlan.net
>

> "yar" <raybright@btclick.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a small hotel, I want to give my guests access to the internet but
>> do not want to compromise my own home network.
>>
>> I currently have 4 pcs networked together with fixed IPs and a wireless
>> access point that my apple express connects to for music and my daughters
>> laptop, this has a key to access.
>>
>> I have been told that I can fit another access point with a different
> range
>> of IP addresses and subnet mask that this would enable a connection but
> stop
>> people getting to my network.
>>
>> I have also been told that if I attach another pc to my network fix the
>> ip
>> and then firewall it from my pcs I could then fit a wireless card share
> the
>> connection and this would protect my network as well.
>>
>> I do not know enough about this, could some one please point me in the
> right
>> direction.
>>
>> Thanks

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 18, 2004 6:32:48 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:29:47 +0800, "Dana Brash"
<dbrash@NOSPAM.gmail.com> wrote:

>You could certainly route another subnet off using a wireless AP/router
>combo.
>You probably have DSL or a cable modem, right?

And some networking info.

We provide Internet access by simply making the gateway information
available to the users. The wireless connection does not give them
access to the network, but the WAP will connect enough with the
network to give a path to the gateway.

Every user so far has been able to access the net even though the WAP
can be seen by only my PC and one server. I've played with my own
laptop on the wireless access and have been unable to get on the
network proper (intentional BTW, the WAP settings are not at all
looking to the net).

The same has been true of terminal added on the network for Internet
surfing. As long as the gateway is set properly, the terminal works
without much other connectivity. In fact, the ones set up for the
network will surf the Internet even when the network connection fails
almost completely.

-Curtis Russell
Controller
Washington DC JCC