motherboard/video card help!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

I’ve been having a problem with my mobo and vidcard compatibility for
quite some time now--the odd thing is that it comes and goes. It used
to have problems when shutting down all the time, giving me a blue
screen that says something like "the video device failed to complete
a drawing operation." And whenever the computer was booted up, WinXp
Pro would give me an error saying that the device driver failed. It
hasn’t done that for a few months so I completely forgot about it, but
now it’s doing it again! I’m thinking I need a bios upgrade, but I
absolutely cannot find one.

Here’s what I have...
A motherboard, don’t know the brand (helpful, huh?) but the chipset
says "Intel AGPset FW82443BX." It came in a Gateway E-4200 though,
if that helps. I got the computer from a salvage sale, so that’s all
the info I have. I wish I knew the make of the mobo. Anyway, I’ve
already tried Gateway’s site, and many other places. No one has a bios
upgrade, from what I found.

The computer didn’t have a vidcard onboard, so I bought an ASUS
GeForce 32mb card, with the model number "4ACA032301." I seem to
have the latest drivers, yet the problem persists.

Anyone have any ideas? I’d really appreciate it. If you have any
questions, ask away and I’ll answer them the best I can.

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/General-Discussion-motherboard-video-card-help-ftopict61406.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=309929
4 answers Last reply
More about motherboard video card help
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    "cdoasis" wrote:
    >I’ve been having a problem with my mobo and vidcard
    >compatibility for quite some time now--the odd thing is that it comes
    >and goes. It used to have problems when shutting down all the time,
    >giving me a blue screen that says something like "the video device
    >failed to complete a drawing operation." And whenever the computer
    was
    >booted up, WinXp Pro would give me an error saying that the device
    >driver failed. It hasn’t done that for a few months so I
    >completely forgot about it, but now it’s doing it again!
    >I’m thinking I need a bios upgrade, but I absolutely cannot find
    >one.
    >
    >Here’s what I have...
    >A motherboard, don’t know the brand (helpful, huh?) but the
    >chipset says "Intel AGPset FW82443BX." It came in a Gateway E-4200
    >though, if that helps. I got the computer from a salvage sale, so
    >that’s all the info I have. I wish I knew the make of the mobo.
    >Anyway, I’ve already tried Gateway’s site, and many other
    >places. No one has a bios upgrade, from what I found.
    >
    >The computer didn’t have a vidcard onboard, so I bought an ASUS
    >GeForce 32mb card, with the model number "4ACA032301." I seem to
    have
    >the latest drivers, yet the problem persists.
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas? I’d really appreciate it. If you have any
    >questions, ask away and I’ll answer them the best I can.

    You can use the BIOS String to help identify your motherboard.
    Simply boot the computer and write the BIOS String down. If it’s an
    AMI BIOS for example go to their site and start searching away for a
    match.
    Each manufacturer has a few numbers in the string to designate their
    product.....
    It is only speculation with the information given about your video
    card.
    Maybe the video card is ready for the pension?
    You don’t say what drivers you have installed for it?
    Maybe there is a BIOS update for the system which will help?
    Is the BIOS configured properly to enable the AGP port? It’s not the
    first time the BIOS has the AGP disabled but it still works because
    there is no alternative on the system.( That is a real longshot)
    You have a slot one, P2 or early P3 mottherboard with an Intel
    chipset.
    I think Intel still have an archived section etc where you could look
    through and visually match up your board with the illustration?

    Have you tried another video card and found the same result?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    "thumper" wrote:
    >You can use the BIOS String to help identify your motherboard.
    >Simply boot the computer and write the BIOS String down. If it’s
    >an AMI BIOS for example go to their site and start searching away for
    >a match.
    >Each manufacturer has a few numbers in the string to designate their
    >product.....
    > It is only speculation with the information given about your video
    >card.
    >Maybe the video card is ready for the pension?
    >You don’t say what drivers you have installed for it?
    >Maybe there is a BIOS update for the system which will help?
    >Is the BIOS configured properly to enable the AGP port? It’s not
    >the first time the BIOS has the AGP disabled but it still works
    >because there is no alternative on the system.( That is a real
    >longshot)
    >You have a slot one, P2 or early P3 mottherboard with an Intel
    >chipset.
    >I think Intel still have an archived section etc where you could look
    >through and visually match up your board with the illustration?
    >
    > Have you tried another video card and found the same result?

    Where exactly would I see the BIOS string? I never really payed
    attention. I’ll try to find out.
    What do you mean when you say "the video card is ready for the
    pension"? It’s a new video card, so I’m quite positive it’s a video
    driver/mobo bios problem. I’ve been searching for a BIOS upgrade but
    I’ve found nothing, but if I can find the BIOS string that might help,
    thanks! :)
    I’ll check to see if the AGP slot is enabled. And yes, it’s an early
    P3 motherboard. I do not have another video card to test on it either.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    "cdoasis" wrote:
    >
    Quote:
    You can use the BIOS String to
    > help identify your motherboard.
    > Simply boot the computer and write the BIOS String down. If
    > it's an AMI BIOS for example go to their site and start
    > searching away for a match.
    > Each manufacturer has a few numbers in the string to designate
    > their product.....
    > It is only speculation with the information given about
    > your video card.
    > Maybe the video card is ready for the pension?
    > You don't say what drivers you have installed for it?
    > Maybe there is a BIOS update for the system which will help?
    > Is the BIOS configured properly to enable the AGP port? It's
    > not the first time the BIOS has the AGP disabled but it still
    > works because there is no alternative on the system.( That is
    > a real longshot)
    > You have a slot one, P2 or early P3 mottherboard with an Intel
    > chipset.
    > I think Intel still have an archived section etc where you
    > could look through and visually match up your board with the
    > illustration?
    >
    > Have you tried another video card and found the same
    > result?

    >
    > Where exactly would I see the BIOS string? I never really
    > payed attention. I'll try to find out.
    > What do you mean when you say "the video card is ready for the
    > pension"? It's a new video card, so I'm quite positive it's a
    > video driver/mobo bios problem. I've been searching for a BIOS
    > upgrade but I've found nothing, but if I can find the BIOS
    > string that might help, thanks! :)
    > I'll check to see if the AGP slot is enabled. And yes, it's an
    > early P3 motherboard. I do not have another video card to test
    > on it either.

    when the post screen shows, hit the pause key. if you miss it, just
    ctl, alt, dlt and do it again.

    this could give the bios info.

    http://www.sofotex.com/AIDA32-download_L9326.html


    ud
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard (More info?)

    "uddarts" wrote:
    > when the post screen shows, hit the pause key. if you miss it,
    > just ctl, alt, dlt and do it again.
    >
    > this could give the bios info.
    >
    > http://www.sofotex.com/AIDA32-download_L9326.html
    >
    >
    > ud

    I’ve tried Aida, it just says "unknown" under motherboard. I did
    find the bios string on the start up screen, it says:
    Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
    BIOS version: 4M4PB0X1.15A.0033.P21

    My computer seems to work fine, aside from booting it up and shutting
    it off. And lately, it has been shutting down and giving me the blue
    screen whenever I open winamp, or my CD burning program. I’m positive
    it’s related to my video card, because that’s what the blue screen
    says--I’m also positive I have absolutely no viruses or spyware. :)
    Any ideas?
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Graphics Cards