Condition Zero for an upcoming gift

We have a family birthday coming up -
Was thinking of getting him Condition Zero,
as he has played CS at a local gaming cafe,
and also with some friends at a LAN party.
He's not really that interested in online play,
but more of the laptop play (single player)
at various down times... school, train, etc -
He has Battlefield VietNam, etc -
BTW - can the game be loaded totally onto a laptop,
or does it require the CD to play ?
I've been reading a lot of negative comments
about the game in Single Player mode -
Any comments - should I buy it, wait, look at others, etc -

Andrew

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:09:38 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
<pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

>We have a family birthday coming up -
>Was thinking of getting him Condition Zero,
>as he has played CS at a local gaming cafe,
>and also with some friends at a LAN party.
>He's not really that interested in online play,
>but more of the laptop play (single player)
>at various down times... school, train, etc -
>He has Battlefield VietNam, etc -
>BTW - can the game be loaded totally onto a laptop,
>or does it require the CD to play ?
>I've been reading a lot of negative comments
>about the game in Single Player mode -
>Any comments - should I buy it, wait, look at others, etc -

I have recently been playing the Steam version (no CD needed) and I
have been very impressed by the quality of the bots when playing
offline, although if I were to choose an online style game to play
offline I would go for UT2004.

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message >
> I have recently been playing the Steam version (no CD needed) and I
> have been very impressed by the quality of the bots when playing
> offline, although if I were to choose an online style game to play
> offline I would go for UT2004.
> --
oh yeah - forgot that -
he has Unreal Tournament loaded on the laptop too -

"Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote in message
> We have a family birthday coming up -
> Was thinking of getting him Condition Zero,
> as he has played CS at a local gaming cafe,
> and also with some friends at a LAN party.
> He's not really that interested in online play,
> but more of the laptop play (single player)
> at various down times... school, train, etc -
> He has Battlefield VietNam, etc -
> BTW - can the game be loaded totally onto a laptop,
> or does it require the CD to play ?
> I've been reading a lot of negative comments
> about the game in Single Player mode -
> Any comments - should I buy it, wait, look at others, etc -

CZ is an OK game but is a tired old engine and the single player modes
are irritating and dull. If his machine can run Battlefield Vietnam
then it has an acceptable spec to be able to run something better such
as Unreal Tournament 2004 or Call of Duty and CoD:United Offensive

> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message >
>> I have recently been playing the Steam version (no CD needed) and I
>> have been very impressed by the quality of the bots when playing
>> offline, although if I were to choose an online style game to play
>> offline I would go for UT2004.
>> --
> oh yeah - forgot that -
> he has Unreal Tournament loaded on the laptop too -

Doom 3? otherwise wait for Half-Life 2

Ian

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:09:38 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
<pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

>BTW - can the game be loaded totally onto a laptop,
>or does it require the CD to play ?

CD required, but there's a no CD patch out there :)

"Ian" <spam@licks.sack> wrote in message >
> CD required, but there's a no CD patch out there :)

any fav site ?

Phil Schuman wrote:
> We have a family birthday coming up -
> Was thinking of getting him Condition Zero,
> as he has played CS at a local gaming cafe,
> and also with some friends at a LAN party.
> He's not really that interested in online play,
> but more of the laptop play (single player)
> at various down times... school, train, etc -
> He has Battlefield VietNam, etc -
> BTW - can the game be loaded totally onto a laptop,
> or does it require the CD to play ?
> I've been reading a lot of negative comments
> about the game in Single Player mode -
> Any comments - should I buy it, wait, look at others, etc -

I just (well, as soon as I could) purchased the HL2 pre-order - solely
so I could play CS:Source online. But I bought the Silver package,
which included all previous games - including Condition Zero and
Condition Zero:Deleted Scenes.

Personally, because I have been playing CS for years online, I found CZ
single player to be a bit boring and prefer to play against real people
online. Mind you, the bots I thought were quite good in the game. But
the maps and missions in CZ were basically just the same as CS (there
were some new maps though).

CZ:Deleted Scenes, however, I did like. All of the maps were new. All
of the missions were new - they were not simple "rescue hostages", or
"diffuse bomb" - they seemed to be more part of a story. I did quite
enjoy it.

If it were me making the decision, I would get the HL2 silver package.
That way you get the following single player games, which you say he
likes : Half-Life, Opposing Force, Condition Zero (which you said you
were thinking of anyway), Conditon Zero:Deleted Scenes (the game I
reckon he will enjoy), Codename Gordon (2D not-very-well-received),
Half-Life2 (when it is released in November) - that's right, 6 single
player games!

He will also get Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike:Source, Day of Defeat,
Day of Defeat:Source, Ricochet (hmm...), Deathmatch Classic, and Team
Fortress Classic multiplayer games!

I have made some assumptions - that you have an internet connection, and
one that can take 3.5Gb of downloads successfully for you; and also that
you want to spend US$59.95. If you can't download it now, then you will
have to wait til November. I have also assumed that your computer is
fairly recent and has the specs to handle HL2 and the Source requirements.

You mention he plays CS at local cafes etc. I reckon he will like
having the multiplayer games of his own, as long as he has the internet
connection at home. I also reckon that you will get the game you were
going to get anyway, plus some of the most awesome single and
multi-player games this year.

The above is just my opinion. Hopefully there are no followups
attacking what I thought of CZ:DS, or people saying they love Ricochet
and Codename Gordon, or hate them. Just trying to give you options.

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : troy@piggo.com

Ian wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:09:38 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
> <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
>

>>BTW - can the game be loaded totally onto a laptop,
>>or does it require the CD to play ?
>

> CD required, but there's a no CD patch out there :)

You also don't need a CD if you use the Steam version. Not sure if this
/requires/ internet connection, though.

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : troy@piggo.com

Ian

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:40:03 GMT, "Phil Schuman"

The one at gamecopyworld.com works for me.

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:40:03 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
> <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
>

> >"Ian" <spam@licks.sack> wrote in message >
> >> CD required, but there's a no CD patch out there :)
> >>
> >any fav site ?
>
> The one at gamecopyworld.com works for me.

tnx -
I had already stumbled across that site -
http://spacetarget.com/games/pc_counter_strike.shtml

I'll have to wait until the weekend,
when we have the laptop, retail game, etc all avail -
BTW - are you running the retail version,
if so, are there different slipstreamed versions ?
Which download did you grab from the GCW website -
and lastly - what are the other GCW patches also listed for CZ ?
tnx -

Ian

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 07:57:54 +1000, Troy Piggins <troy@piggo.com> wrote:

>Ian wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:09:38 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
>> <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
>>

>>>BTW - can the game be loaded totally onto a laptop,
>>>or does it require the CD to play ?
>>

>> CD required, but there's a no CD patch out there :)
>>

>You also don't need a CD if you use the Steam version. Not sure if this
>/requires/ internet connection, though.

If you're LAN'ing, then there's the eternal problem of everyone having Steam/CZ
up-to-date and not logging out beforehand.

Ian

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:20:09 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
<pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

>"Ian" <spam@licks.sack> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:40:03 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
>> <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

>> >any fav site ?
>>
>> The one at gamecopyworld.com works for me.
>>
>tnx -
>I had already stumbled across that site -
>http://spacetarget.com/games/pc_counter_strike.shtml
>
>I'll have to wait until the weekend,
>when we have the laptop, retail game, etc all avail -
>BTW - are you running the retail version,

I have the retail box, and also the Steam version.

>if so, are there different slipstreamed versions ?

Steam version is updated to slick models - there's a new CT & T model, and you
can pick up nades that dead players have dropped, also slicked up graphics &
sound. Some hate it, others don't ;-) The hitch with the Steam CZ, is that when
you play CS1.6 the old models are replaced with the CZ ones.

>Which download did you grab from the GCW website -
>and lastly - what are the other GCW patches also listed for CZ ?
>tnx -

Counter Strike v1.0 [ENGLISH] No-CD/Fixed EXE #1 / veng_cs-cz.rar

It contains replacement czero.exe and GameUI.dll files

"Ian" <spam@licks.sack> wrote in message
news:4qa0o013iu9pqkbah2403qq0tf7mlmqt2t@4ax.com...> >
website --> http://spacetarget.com/games/pc_counter_strike.shtml
> Counter Strike v1.0 [ENGLISH] No-CD/Fixed EXE #1 / veng_cs-cz.rar
> It contains replacement czero.exe and GameUI.dll files

Any idea what the difference might be between Patch #1 and Patch #2 -
different files -
Also - what about the English Voice and the Blood patches - any idea what
they do ?
tnx for the info -

Ian

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:29:47 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
<pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:

>"Ian" <spam@licks.sack> wrote in message
>news:4qa0o013iu9pqkbah2403qq0tf7mlmqt2t@4ax.com...> >
>website --> http://spacetarget.com/games/pc_counter_strike.shtml
>> Counter Strike v1.0 [ENGLISH] No-CD/Fixed EXE #1 / veng_cs-cz.rar
>> It contains replacement czero.exe and GameUI.dll files
>>
>Any idea what the difference might be between Patch #1 and Patch #2 -
>different files -
>Also - what about the English Voice and the Blood patches - any idea what
>they do ?
>tnx for the info -

No idea sorry... I got my retail box on the day it was released and the first
patch as soon as it was available.

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:29:47 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
> <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:
>
> >"Ian" <spam@licks.sack> wrote in message
> >news:4qa0o013iu9pqkbah2403qq0tf7mlmqt2t@4ax.com...> >
> >website --> http://spacetarget.com/games/pc_counter_strike.shtml
> >> Counter Strike v1.0 [ENGLISH] No-CD/Fixed EXE #1 / veng_cs-cz.rar
> >> It contains replacement czero.exe and GameUI.dll files
> >>
> >Any idea what the difference might be between Patch #1 and Patch #2 -
> >different files -
> >Also - what about the English Voice and the Blood patches - any idea
what
> >they do ?
> >tnx for the info -
> >
> No idea sorry... I got my retail box on the day it was released and
the first
> patch as soon as it was available.

tnx for the help - box was opened - installed on the laptop with real
key,
and then #1 patch applied - seems to work fine....
Now the 2 batteries can be used in the 2 modular bays,
and the CDrom is not needed...