Many dropouts when connecting two laptops

Hello all,

I have an old notebook, running win2k, I've connected an 802.11b USB
Wireless Adaptor from Blitz.

In infrastructure mode, it can't see anything and it seems the
wireless is disconnected (I see the Local Area Connection icon on my
tray list as disconnected ), but in adhoc mode it shows up as
connected, and I never see any errors/disconnections whatever they are
in this computer.

I have a new notebook with a mini pci wireless intel 802.11b/g,
running xp sp2. It's configured in adhoc mode as well, and gets
disconnected every 5 minutes. The signal strength is always 100%.

I need to know if the problem is from the usb adaptor (because I guess
it's from a poor quality, but it never says anything is wrong !) or
from a bad configuration/setting in the new laptop.

Also any help to resolve the problem is so appreciated.

It may be un-related to this issue, but I have enabled internet
connection sharing on the older laptop (which is connected to a DSL
modem), and have fixed the IP addresses for both laptops.

Thanks in advance,

Do you have an access point so you can see infrastructure networks?
Otherwise, if all you have is an adhoc network there won't be any
infrastructure networks available.

As far as your "disconnect every 5 minutes" problem... that may be related
to you using an adhoc network. The two adapters you are using my not
interoperate well together using adhoc mode. A more reliable option is to
purchase a wireless Access Point and have the clients connect to each other
through the Access Point.

--
Jeff Baziuk
Microsoft Corporation