Intel Haswell iGPU to support DirectX 11.1, OpenGL 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

What I'm hoping for is that Haswell and the mobo chipset will be smart enough to switch between the IGP (low power consumption) and a discrete GPU depending on the GPU processing power needed for the job. IIRC a high-end discrete card still consumes lots of power when idle, or virtually so, in the case of browsing the web, etc where you don't need much GPU power anyway.

I probably spend at least as much time browsing & other stuff as I do gaming.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]thats all nice but gamers will not use the integrated graphics, I'm just looking forward to faster processors[/citation]

It's better than what's currently out there...

And if my boss buys these for my company PCs, all the better ;)

While Intel onboard video is nothing special, it is improving at a very fast rate.

The onboard is still more then a match for the every day use of many users(e-mail and facebook ect).

I was more then impressed by how it handled video and other every day stuff.

[citation][nom]fazers_on_stun[/nom]What I'm hoping for is that Haswell and the mobo chipset will be smart enough to switch between the IGP (low power consumption) and a discrete GPU depending on the GPU processing power needed for the job. IIRC a high-end discrete card still consumes lots of power when idle, or virtually so, in the case of browsing the web, etc where you don't need much GPU power anyway. I probably spend at least as much time browsing & other stuff as I do gaming.[/citation]

I think thats already possible on Asus motherboards
look up "LucidLogix Virtu"

It's getting really annoying how intel is slapping i on everything. We have ipads, iphohes, icarly, ipad, i-5, ect. Can they at least come up with something that makes it seem different.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]It's better than what's currently out there...And if my boss buys these for my company PCs, all the better[/citation]

Wrong, A8 is better and Intel sucks for graphics. This will be overpriced to boot!

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]i dont know about you guys but intel graphics is very decent for the average user, in fact, the sandy bridge GPU is better than a AMD 5450 or 6450, and i think that this gpu upgrade that will be implemented on ivy bridge is going to be really cool, i think intel should also be making high end and mid range gaming gpu´s. that, will add more competition to the GPU/PC sector and maybe...if done right.... better performance & lower power usage per dollar than AMD and Nvidia. intel FTW![/citation]

Intel Integrated Graphics are a joke. Intel needs to raise pumper pay, and find better employees.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]better performance & lower power usage per dollar than AMD and Nvidia. intel FTW![/citation]

Wrong again, an A8 APU equipped gaming computer is far more powerful than any Intel CPU + GPU combination. The A8 is also far more efficient.

i see no mention of 4k display support... may be the display oems and intel had a little 'discussion'...
although intel's igpu seems impressive from design and spec perspective, intel's driver development team will happily butcher the igpu's performance. intel has the worst graphics driver support. and there's this little issue of playing 23.976 fps videos....

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Intel will get this working so well and suprass AMD integrated graphic solution. Intel can push development like no other company can because they have resources and people. I wouldn't write them off at all. Look at CPU market, they beat everything. They will take over ARM in Mobile Market as well.

so...many...fails... 3d facepalm...

a8 apus are mostly 100w apus that can be easily outclassed by a pentium g620/860 and a 6570/6670/6750. remember you said 'a8 apu (no mention of a 6670 or any crossfirable gfx card) vs any intel cpu+gpu'. :D

you have that backwards. intel is able to raise their cpu prices because amd is currently incapable of competing.

i'll reserve my opnion on trinity and piledriver until they launch and get tested.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Wrong again, an A8 APU equipped gaming computer is far more powerful than any Intel CPU + GPU combination. The A8 is also far more efficient.[/citation]

You lie like the MPAA/RIAA about SOPA.

A8 does have a nice integrated GPU, but it is no were near as powerful as the Intel chip in the CPU department. Also, the A8 is only ~2x faster than Intels IGP in Sandybridge. Haswell is going to have a much beefier GPU, so we'll see how the A8 stands up to it.

On the power side of things, the A8 is running ~160watt full CPU+GPU load. Haswell will be only 90watts and we'll see how the performance is once it comes out. Intel and AMD rate TDP a bit differently. Intel is based on peak and AMD is based on average, and Intel still claims a lower TDP.

I am not talking down about AMD, I love them, but I am being realistic about it.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]There's a reason AMD is able to raise the price for their existing APU's - Intel can't compete, period.[/citation]

AMD A8 - $140
Intel Sandybridge IGP - $250

Intel doesn't even try to compete on price because they don't have to.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[citation][nom]thor220[/nom]It's getting really annoying how intel is slapping i on everything. We have ipads, iphohes, icarly, ipad, i-5, ect. Can they at least come up with something that makes it seem different.[/citation]
iHope so, but iDont know iF Apple will let them iNvent much more names like iT.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Intel Integrated Graphics are a joke. Intel needs to raise pumper pay, and find better employees.[/citation]

how many years has amd been making GPU's though and how many has intel. give it a few years and Intel will be the best.

Oh how i love monopolies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Kewlx25[/nom]Intel is based on peak and AMD is based on average, and Intel still claims a lower TDP.[/citation]
Um...no. I believe both use averages. Not completely sure about AMD, but am about Intel, since my proc's an Core 2 Quad.

intel's site states that stated tdp is the maximum tdp.
imo, amd's tdp numbers vary. for example, 125w fx cpus sometimes report 124-127w tdp to 233w tdp on cpu-z. it could be the software... but cpu-z reports intel cpus' tdp numbers correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.