windows xp pro and rs 232 port

I have a kenwood 200 disc cd player it has a 9 pin rs
232 port so it can be controlled by a pc I've been told
that xp doesn't recignize my computers rs 232 port is
there a patch to make it work. please reply to me at my e-
mail address

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Dave Allen" <Davedlallen@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have a kenwood 200 disc cd player it has a 9 pin rs
> 232 port so it can be controlled by a pc I've been told
> that xp doesn't recignize my computers rs 232 port is
> there a patch to make it work. please reply to me at my e-
> mail address

Google is your friend....Google __RS32__......Several tutorials
show up.

Windows XP works just find with RS232 serial ports as long as your PC
has any RS232 ports installed. Many new PCs do not come with RS232
ports however you can always add additional RS232 ports using add-on
adapters that connect to the USB port. They cost about $20.
Most likely your PC has at least one RS232 port. You can find out by
opening the Windows Device Manager and looking in the "Ports COM and
LPT" section to see what ports are installed.

Windows even comes with a terminal program called Hyperterminal that
is designed specifically for communicating through RS232 ports.
Microsoft would never drop support for RS232 ports simply because
there are millions of people using them.

For more information, and RS232 tips, tricks and free utilities, visit
www.taltech.com

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 08:37:49 -0800, "Dave Allen" <Davedlallen@aol.com>
wrote:

> I have a kenwood 200 disc cd player it has a 9 pin rs
>232 port so it can be controlled by a pc I've been told
>that xp doesn't recignize my computers rs 232 port is
>there a patch to make it work. please reply to me at my e-
>mail address

If windows doesn't list any in Control panel->system-> device manager
look on the back of the computer for serial ports. They are 9 (or 25 )
pin female d connectors. If there are none there still may be one or
more serial ports on the mother board but a header will be required.
Check your documentation. In any case the builtin serial port(s)
normally has(ve) to be enabled in the bios. If you see any physically
there, start the boot and go into the bios setup and check through the
various screens for something about on board peripherals.
If there is one or more serial ports make sure it is enabled. Save the
bios settings and continue the boot. If you found one, windows xp will
go into the found new hardware wizard and install it. Often people who
set up computers and don't need the serial port will leave it(them)
disabled to save the interrupt. The same is often true of parallel
ports.

Thomas Lutz wrote:
> Windows XP works just find with RS232 serial ports as long as your PC
> has any RS232 ports installed. Many new PCs do not come with RS232
> ports however you can always add additional RS232 ports using add-on
> adapters that connect to the USB port. They cost about $20.
> Most likely your PC has at least one RS232 port. You can find out by
> opening the Windows Device Manager and looking in the "Ports COM and
> LPT" section to see what ports are installed.
>
> Windows even comes with a terminal program called Hyperterminal that
> is designed specifically for communicating through RS232 ports.
> Microsoft would never drop support for RS232 ports simply because
> there are millions of people using them.
>
> For more information, and RS232 tips, tricks and free utilities, visit
> www.taltech.com
>

> On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 08:37:49 -0800, "Dave Allen" <Davedlallen@aol.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I have a kenwood 200 disc cd player it has a 9 pin rs
>>232 port so it can be controlled by a pc I've been told
>>that xp doesn't recignize my computers rs 232 port is
>>there a patch to make it work. please reply to me at my e-
>>mail address

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:10:05 -0500, Mike Powers
<mikepowers5@cox.net> wrote:

>If windows doesn't list any in Control panel->system-> device manager
>look on the back of the computer for serial ports. They are 9 (or 25 )
>pin female d connectors. If there are none there still may be one or

I think the serial connector on the back is a male connector.