USB Device Drivers are "forgotten"

a b \ Driver
April 3, 2004 11:52:41 PM

I have a frustrating problem whereby when I connect a USB
device for the second time and more, the computer
attempts to install a device driver for that device. It
has apparently "forgotten" my device and it sometimes
requires the user to reinstall drivers from cd's that are
no longer available or difficult to find. If this has
happened before, please inform me, especially if there is
a solution.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
April 4, 2004 6:47:51 PM

"Jason N." <slovak@tstt.net.tt> wrote in message news:135f401c419f8$47679110$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> I have a frustrating problem whereby when I connect a USB
> device for the second time and more, the computer
> attempts to install a device driver for that device. It
> has apparently "forgotten" my device and it sometimes
> requires the user to reinstall drivers from cd's that are
> no longer available or difficult to find. If this has
> happened before, please inform me, especially if there is
> a solution.

Do you connect your device to different USB ports on your machine or hub?
If yes, then this is "by design". Just so it works.
Connect it every time to the same port.

--PA
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
April 4, 2004 6:47:52 PM

Pavel A. wrote:
> "Jason N." <slovak@tstt.net.tt> wrote in message
>> I have a frustrating problem whereby when I connect a USB
>> device for the second time and more, the computer
>> attempts to install a device driver for that device. It
>> has apparently "forgotten" my device and it sometimes
>> requires the user to reinstall drivers from cd's that are
>> no longer available or difficult to find. If this has
>> happened before, please inform me, especially if there is
>> a solution.
>
> Do you connect your device to different USB ports on your machine or
> hub?
> If yes, then this is "by design". Just so it works.
> Connect it every time to the same port.
>
> --PA

However, the reinstalls should stop once a given device has populated
each of the USB ports once, i.e., it should install only the first
connection on a given port. Otherwise there is something else amiss.

a b \ Driver
April 4, 2004 10:14:32 PM

You are both quite correct. I find though it doesn't seem
like good planning for manufacturers to allow such a
function to happen at all. But then there might be
usefulness in some other application I don't know of.
Thanks very much to both of you.
!