Wireless connection printer problem

lynn

Both machines are DELL. Machine A is connected by wire to linksys router
(broadband internet), is the host, has the printer. Machine B is connected by
wireless adapter to linksys router. Both machines have good access to
internet, no problems.

I followed the procedures for setting up a network, first on Machine A, then
using a floppy (created by Machine A) to add Machine B to network. Both
machines show the work group. Machine A shows both computers under the work
group, the printer is listed as shared. Machine B shows the work group, BUT
DOES NOT SHOW ANY COMPUTERS UNDER IT.

If I try to open the work group it says "the list of servers for this work
group are not available".

Machine A shows the printer on Machine B, but Machine B does not show the
printer or any files on Machine A.

Please help.

i'm having a similar issue. i simply cannot get the printer to print from my
wireless laptop.
cable modem connected to linksys connected to home cpu connected to printer.
home network set-up on both machines.
email me if you find the answer.

"Lynn" wrote:

> Both machines are DELL. Machine A is connected by wire to linksys router
> (broadband internet), is the host, has the printer. Machine B is connected by
> wireless adapter to linksys router. Both machines have good access to
> internet, no problems.
>
> I followed the procedures for setting up a network, first on Machine A, then
> using a floppy (created by Machine A) to add Machine B to network. Both
> machines show the work group. Machine A shows both computers under the work
> group, the printer is listed as shared. Machine B shows the work group, BUT
> DOES NOT SHOW ANY COMPUTERS UNDER IT.
>
> If I try to open the work group it says "the list of servers for this work
> group are not available".
>
> Machine A shows the printer on Machine B, but Machine B does not show the
> printer or any files on Machine A.
>
> Please help.

tanya

Don't use the wizard. The router is the DHCP Server. If you must use the
wizard then
Tell the Wizard that the computers connect to the Internet "through a
residential gateway" (router). Other options, like "directly to the
Internet" or "through a network hub" will block file and printer
sharing. You don't need a floppy if they are both XP.

Home requires the Guest account enabled.
Enable netbios over TCP/IP.

Un-install all firewall programs (Norton Internet Security, ZoneAlarm,
etc) while troubleshooting the network.

"Lynn" <Lynn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Both machines are DELL. Machine A is connected by wire to linksys router
> (broadband internet), is the host, has the printer. Machine B is connected
> by
> wireless adapter to linksys router. Both machines have good access to
> internet, no problems.
>
> I followed the procedures for setting up a network, first on Machine A,
> then
> using a floppy (created by Machine A) to add Machine B to network. Both
> machines show the work group. Machine A shows both computers under the
> work
> group, the printer is listed as shared. Machine B shows the work group,
> BUT
> DOES NOT SHOW ANY COMPUTERS UNDER IT.
>
> If I try to open the work group it says "the list of servers for this work
> group are not available".
>
> Machine A shows the printer on Machine B, but Machine B does not show the
> printer or any files on Machine A.
>
> Please help.

If you'd like to work this through one-on-one, you are welcome to email me
and I can step you through it.

Carey@careyholzman.com