Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AI7 Unstable! - OCZ EL PC-3200 Platinum Limited Edition

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 30, 2004 8:54:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Hi,



I can't get this system/memory stable?



1GB Kit (2x512) OCZ EL PC-3200 Platinum Limited Edition

Cas 2-2-2-7



http://tinyurl.com/2erg6



P4c 2.6GHz

AI7 (#BIOS 12)

ANTEC TRUE 550

WinXP-PRO SP/1



So annoying! I have it set to 2.7vDimm but it produces errors in Memtest86
(Test #8, after four passes?), and makes Prime95 *Blend* test fail within an
hour. I tried it at 2.8vDimm which helps allot, but the errors will appear
still after a longer time.



I am currently using slots 1+3 for my memory, so I guess until I get some
help I will go about testing the sticks in different slots, and
individually.



I was hoping to overclock this memory, but seeing as I can't even get it
stable at stock settings I think I may be out of luck. . .



I have GAT set to Full Auto everything. . . and the timings are on manual
(2-2-2-7). Softmenu III is all set properly, basically default settings
except I took it off AUTO CPU type and set it to manual because it was
setting the FSB to 204MHz (instead of 200MHz). vDimm is set to 2.7v (reads
2.72 in uGuru).



Any ideas? You think I need to update the BIOS or?
--
Wayne ][
<Sign on door reads: Please Do No Disturb! Pentium 4 assembly in progress!>
March 30, 2004 10:55:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

have you tried raising the memory timings? what are the "By SPD" ratings of
the ram?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^




"Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:4069981c$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
> Hi,
>
>
>
> I can't get this system/memory stable?
>
>
>
> 1GB Kit (2x512) OCZ EL PC-3200 Platinum Limited Edition
>
> Cas 2-2-2-7
>
>
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2erg6
>
>
>
> P4c 2.6GHz
>
> AI7 (#BIOS 12)
>
> ANTEC TRUE 550
>
> WinXP-PRO SP/1
>
>
>
> So annoying! I have it set to 2.7vDimm but it produces errors in Memtest86
> (Test #8, after four passes?), and makes Prime95 *Blend* test fail within
an
> hour. I tried it at 2.8vDimm which helps allot, but the errors will
appear
> still after a longer time.
>
>
>
> I am currently using slots 1+3 for my memory, so I guess until I get some
> help I will go about testing the sticks in different slots, and
> individually.
>
>
>
> I was hoping to overclock this memory, but seeing as I can't even get it
> stable at stock settings I think I may be out of luck. . .
>
>
>
> I have GAT set to Full Auto everything. . . and the timings are on manual
> (2-2-2-7). Softmenu III is all set properly, basically default settings
> except I took it off AUTO CPU type and set it to manual because it was
> setting the FSB to 204MHz (instead of 200MHz). vDimm is set to 2.7v
(reads
> 2.72 in uGuru).
>
>
>
> Any ideas? You think I need to update the BIOS or?
> --
> Wayne ][
> <Sign on door reads: Please Do No Disturb! Pentium 4 assembly in
progress!>
>
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2004 12:07:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Set your vdimm to 2.8v.
Your gat settings to Auto, auto, auto, disabled, disabled.
Your memory to SPD (to check stability of memory).
If memory at SPD is stable, then start tweaking the settings manually untill
you get best settings but still stable.

Also try in slots 2+4 as a lot of people get better timings/stability in
these slots.

cheers
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2004 1:51:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"TomG" wrote
> have you tried raising the memory timings? what are the "By SPD" ratings
of
> the ram?


Hi,
thanks all for replies just got back in. Here are my different settings:
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Softmenu III
- vDimm: 2.7v / 2.8v
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Advanced Chipset Features

- DRAM Timings Selectable: Manual
- CAS Latency Time: 2
- Act to Precharge Delay: 7
- DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 2
- DRAM RAS# Precharge: 2


- Game Accelerator: Turbo
- Refresh Cycle Time: Auto
- Read Delay (tRD): Auto
- Read Delay Adjust (tRDA): Auto
- Command Per Clock (CPC):Auto

- Memtest86 Bandwidth: 2908MB/s
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Advanced Chipset Features

- DRAM Timings Selectable: By SPD
- CAS Latency Time: 2.5
- Act to Precharge Delay: 6
- DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3
- DRAM RAS# Precharge: 3

- Game Accelerator: F1*
- Refresh Cycle Time: Auto
- Read Delay (tRD): Auto
- Read Delay Adjust (tRDA): Auto
- Command Per Clock (CPC):Auto

- Memtest86 Bandwidth: 2908MB/s

*F1 gives these timings (confirmed by Memtest & CPUZ)
- CAS Latency Time: 2
- Act to Precharge Delay: 5
- DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 2
- DRAM RAS# Precharge: 2
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Ok, so the error I get in Memtest86 is always on test #8, not every pass!
may fail test #8 on first pass then not again till the 5th pass?.

If I set:
- DRAM Timings Selectable: By SPD
- Game Accelerator: Turbo

The PC will boot, pass BIOS screen then freeze at
Verifying DMI Pool. . . . . . (?)

This memory I am using is meant to be BH-6.

I emailed OCZ tech-support and recieved this reply a few hours later:

----- Original Message -----
From: OCZ Tech Support
To: 'Wayne Youngman'
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 7:53 PM
Subject: RE: Support required for OCZ product purchased from
PC-Memory-Upgrade.co.uk


Hi,

We are very sorry about the problem you have experienced. We will do the
best we can to get your problem solved.

What settings do you use for the following items in BIOS setup? If they are
not what you currently set, please try my suggestions and test the memory
again. If the problem still exists, please try one module at a time for
further diagnostic.

In chipset submenu

Game Accelerator: Auto

Command Per Clock: Disabled

Performance mode: Disabled

Sincerely,

Technical Support

----- End Message -----

What is *Performance mode: Disabled?*

This is a state, now Prime95 is failing in one minute flat!
--
Wayne ][
<Sign on door reads: Please Do No Disturb! Pentium 4 assembly in progress!>
March 31, 2004 1:51:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

what happens is you go By SPD with the ram and just Auto for all GAT/PAT
settings?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^




"Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:406a8695$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
>
> "TomG" wrote
> > have you tried raising the memory timings? what are the "By SPD"
ratings
> of
> > the ram?
>
>
> Hi,
> thanks all for replies just got back in. Here are my different settings:
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> Softmenu III
> - vDimm: 2.7v / 2.8v
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> Advanced Chipset Features
>
> - DRAM Timings Selectable: Manual
> - CAS Latency Time: 2
> - Act to Precharge Delay: 7
> - DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 2
> - DRAM RAS# Precharge: 2
>
>
> - Game Accelerator: Turbo
> - Refresh Cycle Time: Auto
> - Read Delay (tRD): Auto
> - Read Delay Adjust (tRDA): Auto
> - Command Per Clock (CPC):Auto
>
> - Memtest86 Bandwidth: 2908MB/s
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> Advanced Chipset Features
>
> - DRAM Timings Selectable: By SPD
> - CAS Latency Time: 2.5
> - Act to Precharge Delay: 6
> - DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3
> - DRAM RAS# Precharge: 3
>
> - Game Accelerator: F1*
> - Refresh Cycle Time: Auto
> - Read Delay (tRD): Auto
> - Read Delay Adjust (tRDA): Auto
> - Command Per Clock (CPC):Auto
>
> - Memtest86 Bandwidth: 2908MB/s
>
> *F1 gives these timings (confirmed by Memtest & CPUZ)
> - CAS Latency Time: 2
> - Act to Precharge Delay: 5
> - DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 2
> - DRAM RAS# Precharge: 2
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>
> Ok, so the error I get in Memtest86 is always on test #8, not every pass!
> may fail test #8 on first pass then not again till the 5th pass?.
>
> If I set:
> - DRAM Timings Selectable: By SPD
> - Game Accelerator: Turbo
>
> The PC will boot, pass BIOS screen then freeze at
> Verifying DMI Pool. . . . . . (?)
>
> This memory I am using is meant to be BH-6.
>
> I emailed OCZ tech-support and recieved this reply a few hours later:
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: OCZ Tech Support
> To: 'Wayne Youngman'
> Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 7:53 PM
> Subject: RE: Support required for OCZ product purchased from
> PC-Memory-Upgrade.co.uk
>
>
> Hi,
>
> We are very sorry about the problem you have experienced. We will do the
> best we can to get your problem solved.
>
> What settings do you use for the following items in BIOS setup? If they
are
> not what you currently set, please try my suggestions and test the memory
> again. If the problem still exists, please try one module at a time for
> further diagnostic.
>
> In chipset submenu
>
> Game Accelerator: Auto
>
> Command Per Clock: Disabled
>
> Performance mode: Disabled
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Technical Support
>
> ----- End Message -----
>
> What is *Performance mode: Disabled?*
>
> This is a state, now Prime95 is failing in one minute flat!
> --
> Wayne ][
> <Sign on door reads: Please Do No Disturb! Pentium 4 assembly in
progress!>
>
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2004 12:21:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

TomG wrote:

> what happens is you go By SPD with the ram and just Auto for all
> GAT/PAT settings?


I am betting he is stable when the GAT and PAT are set to auto. GAT in
particular. o)


regards

@ndrew
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2004 6:12:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"TomG" wrote
> what happens is you go By SPD with the ram and just Auto for all GAT/PAT
> settings?


"@ndrew" wrote
> I am betting he is stable when the GAT and PAT are set to auto. GAT in
> particular. o)



Hi,
well been learning a bucket load! and to answer your question
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Advanced Chipset Features
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
- DRAM Timings Selectable: By SPD
- CAS Latency Time: 2.5
- Act to Precharge Delay: 6
- DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3
- DRAM RAS# Precharge: 3
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
- Game Accelerator: Auto
- Refresh Cycle Time: Auto
- Read Delay (tRD): Auto
- Read Delay Adjust (tRDA): Auto
- Command Per Clock (CPC):Auto
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
- vDimm 2.6v
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

With these settings the system runs stable. . hehe :p 

I have been very meticulously working my way through all the memory options,
still didn't get success yet with 2-7-2-2 (or 2-5-2-2) and I have yet to
start swapping ram sticks about. Didn't go any higher than 2.8vDimm yet
either (BIOS goes up to 3.2vDimm!).

I followed the advice from support at OCZ but still no luck. Still I am
glad I can be sure its a memory problem :) 



= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Advanced Chipset Features
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
- DRAM Timings Selectable: By SPD
- CAS Latency Time: 2
- Act to Precharge Delay: 6
- DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3
- DRAM RAS# Precharge: 3
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
- Game Accelerator: Street-Racer
- Refresh Cycle Time: Auto
- Read Delay (tRD): Auto
- Read Delay Adjust (tRDA): Auto
- Command Per Clock (CPC):Auto
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
- vDimm 2.6v
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Well at least I know this memory can run at 2-6-3-3 stable using 2.6vDimm,
but it's rated at 2-7-2-2 using 2.7vDimm (BH-6 IC's).

Now what I want to know is this, which one of these should be 2, and which
should be 3?
- DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 2
- DRAM RAS# Precharge: 2
--
Wayne ][
<Sign on door reads: Please Do No Disturb! Pentium 4 assembly in progress!>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2004 7:41:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Wayne Youngman wrote:


> With these settings the system runs stable. . hehe :p 
>
> I have been very meticulously working my way through all the memory
> options, still didn't get success yet with 2-7-2-2 (or 2-5-2-2) and I
> have yet to start swapping ram sticks about. Didn't go any higher
> than 2.8vDimm yet either (BIOS goes up to 3.2vDimm!).
>
> I followed the advice from support at OCZ but still no luck. Still I
> am glad I can be sure its a memory problem :) 


Looks like have had these modules running at 2.5-2-3-5. I would not
run the modules above 2.8 personally:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/motherboard/63

regards

@ndrew
!