HELP: CPU temp error: KT7A

Hello all
I was almost used to 50-56'C temperatures running Duron1600 down to 1400MHz.
At 1600MHz i was getting 54-62'C. I'm using Spire WhisperRock4 80mm fan.
Have 2 80mm case fans, and with side open, i get about 30-31'C system temp.

Thing is that even if VIA hm or bios shows temps of 55-56'C, when I touch
the cpu heatsink, it feels more like 32-36'C, definately NOT 50+ as claimed
by windows.

What could be wrong?

Asestar wrote:
> Hello all
> I was almost used to 50-56'C temperatures running Duron1600 down to
> 1400MHz. At 1600MHz i was getting 54-62'C. I'm using Spire
> WhisperRock4 80mm fan. Have 2 80mm case fans, and with side open, i
> get about 30-31'C system temp.
>
> Thing is that even if VIA hm or bios shows temps of 55-56'C, when I
> touch the cpu heatsink, it feels more like 32-36'C, definately NOT
> 50+ as claimed by windows.
>
> What could be wrong?

Nothing is wrong. The CPU temperature is sensed from either a
thermistor under the CPU, or a diode inside the CPU die itself. The
heat measured at the middle of the CPU die will be in the 40C to 60C
area, depending on the heatsink and CPU speed. The heat is spread over
the entire surface area of the heatsink, so it will not be anywhere near
the temperature at the CPU die itself, nor will it "feel" anywhere near
the actual CPU temperature.

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:29:23 +0000, Asestar wrote:

> Hello all
> I was almost used to 50-56'C temperatures running Duron1600 down to 1400MHz.
> At 1600MHz i was getting 54-62'C. I'm using Spire WhisperRock4 80mm fan.
> Have 2 80mm case fans, and with side open, i get about 30-31'C system temp.
>
> Thing is that even if VIA hm or bios shows temps of 55-56'C, when I touch
> the cpu heatsink, it feels more like 32-36'C, definately NOT 50+ as claimed
> by windows.
>
> What could be wrong?

Cooler not mounted properly, or that's a lousy cooler. A halfway decent
cooler should keep the idle temps around 40C, maybe 50C under load without
underclocking the cpu. Might also see if you've got vcore set too high.

Spajky

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:47:23 -0500, "dr_hardware"
<dr_hardware@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Nothing is wrong. The CPU temperature is sensed from either a
>thermistor under the CPU, or a diode inside the CPU die itself. The
>heat measured at the middle of the CPU die will be in the 40C to 60C
>area, depending on the heatsink and CPU speed. The heat is spread over
>the entire surface area of the heatsink, so it will not be anywhere near
>the temperature at the CPU die itself, nor will it "feel" anywhere near
>the actual CPU temperature.

IMHO that board has only thermistor in socket for CPU measuring, not
from onDie; the probe may be bad!

-- Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

I think so too. Cause that Duron1600 is NOT supposed to run that hot, hell
even when it's underclocked to 1250MHz, on idle it's never under 50'C...
Now i don't think a 50$ heatsink with 80mm fan, huge aluminium with copper
base, rated for XP3000+ can not handle heat from underclocked-130nm-duron
core.