2500+ vcore higher then 2.0 volts

Hi I'm running a 2500+ Barton on a NF7-S. It's not a very good
overclocker and the only way I can get it to 2.3 Ghz is with a vcore of 2.06
Volts.
I'm using an SLK800 and idle temps seem to be under 45C with load temps around
49C (using CPUBurn).
Any ideas on how much I will shoten it's life with a vcore that high? I've done
quite a bit of searching on the subject, but would like some more oppinions.

Thanks in advance

> Hi I'm running a 2500+ Barton on a NF7-S. It's not a very good
I've been running my barton 2800+ at 2.1V Vcore for 6 months now w/an SLK900U.
No overheating problems so far.

>overclocker and the only way I can get it to 2.3 Ghz is with a vcore of 2.06
>Volts.
>I'm using an SLK800 and idle temps seem to be under 45C with load temps
>around

>> Hi I'm running a 2500+ Barton on a NF7-S. It's not a very good
>I've been running my barton 2800+ at 2.1V Vcore for 6 months now w/an
>SLK900U.
>No overheating problems so far.

Thanks. I wonder how safe it truly is to run at 2.1. The specs list it's
maximum vcore at 2.1. It just might not last as long, but what does that mean
exactly?

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message

> Thanks. I wonder how safe it truly is to run at 2.1. The specs list it's
> maximum vcore at 2.1. It just might not last as long, but what does that
mean
> exactly?

Me to, I have to run vcore at 2.1 to overclock my 2500 I wonder why?

>Me to, I have to run vcore at 2.1 to overclock my 2500 I wonder why?

AMD probably is being more strict it how it labels the CPU's. Maybe they are
getting tired of people getting speed then they paid for.
I'm still wondering how long the cpu will last at 2.1 with good cooling. A
couple of years would be OK with me. Less then that might not be worth the
overclock.

I would suggest you try the following.

Determine what your highest 100% stable fsb is - to a precision of 1
MHz. Record all settings. Wait 6 months. At roughly the same room
temp, perform the exact test you did 6 mo ago. With electron
migration, the max freq of the cpu (and thusly the fsb) will slowly
decrease.

I would guess that after 6 moths the max fsb freq will be 1 or perhaps
2 MHz lower.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

On 31 Mar 2004 18:07:37 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:

>>Me to, I have to run vcore at 2.1 to overclock my 2500 I wonder why?
>
>AMD probably is being more strict it how it labels the CPU's. Maybe they are
>getting tired of people getting speed then they paid for.
>I'm still wondering how long the cpu will last at 2.1 with good cooling. A
>couple of years would be OK with me. Less then that might not be worth the
>overclock.

>I would guess that after 6 moths the max fsb freq will be 1 or perhaps
>2 MHz lower.
>
>Forrest

I was overclocking a 1900+ Palomino at a 1.9 vcore for around a year and I
didn't see any loss of performance. It's default vcore was 1.75.

Of course the electron migration will depend greatly on the chip at
hand. And, critical to the test is the precision of your measurement.

I really don't know if the migration is linear with voltage or
quadratic with voltage. A couple of google searches, others seem to
indicate that it is a quadratic function. That is, increase the
voltage a little and the amount of electron migration will increase a
lot.

My experience is that overclocking my Duron 1G to 1.85 showed about a
1 MHz reduction after 6 months. This is why I suggested the method.

Also, I used to run an old super socket 7 motherboard and ran the cpu
at 2.4 volts for overclocking. The cpu was supposed to be run at 2
volts as I recall. Over the 3 years that I used it as my regular
machine, the upper end stability limit very noticeable deteriorated.
Every year or so I had to go into the bios and lower the fsb slightly
to regain stability. Towards the end, the cpu wouldn't even do its
rated freq without overvolting slightly. But then again, the cpu
never really overclocked well.

On 01 Apr 2004 05:12:19 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:

>>I would guess that after 6 moths the max fsb freq will be 1 or perhaps
>>2 MHz lower.
>>
>>Forrest
>
>I was overclocking a 1900+ Palomino at a 1.9 vcore for around a year and I
>didn't see any loss of performance. It's default vcore was 1.75.

>1 MHz reduction after 6 months.

If that is true I could live with it. In 2 years I would lose only 4Mhz.

>Over the 3 years that I used it as my regular
>machine, the upper end stability limit very noticeable deteriorated.

Could the loss in stability have been caused by some other part of the system
such as power supply?

It would be impossible to say with any certainty that a 1MHz reduction is
down to electron migration in the CPU....Any of a host of things could cause
this tiny change, for instance; slight loss of thermal paste between
heatsink and CPU, dust on the heatsink, dust on the fan, change in
performance of components on the motherboard or in the psu (eg capacitors),
change in room temp, updated bios etc etc....
This is also assuming over the 6 months no hardware has changed which for
most tweakers/modders/overclockers would never be the case

"- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
> Of course the electron migration will depend greatly on the chip at
> hand. And, critical to the test is the precision of your measurement.
>
> I really don't know if the migration is linear with voltage or
> quadratic with voltage. A couple of google searches, others seem to
> indicate that it is a quadratic function. That is, increase the
> voltage a little and the amount of electron migration will increase a
> lot.
>
> My experience is that overclocking my Duron 1G to 1.85 showed about a
> 1 MHz reduction after 6 months. This is why I suggested the method.
>
> Also, I used to run an old super socket 7 motherboard and ran the cpu
> at 2.4 volts for overclocking. The cpu was supposed to be run at 2
> volts as I recall. Over the 3 years that I used it as my regular
> machine, the upper end stability limit very noticeable deteriorated.
> Every year or so I had to go into the bios and lower the fsb slightly
> to regain stability. Towards the end, the cpu wouldn't even do its
> rated freq without overvolting slightly. But then again, the cpu
> never really overclocked well.
>
> Forrest
>
> Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
> http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/
>

> On 01 Apr 2004 05:12:19 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:
>
> >>I would guess that after 6 moths the max fsb freq will be 1 or perhaps
> >>2 MHz lower.
> >>
> >>Forrest
> >
> >I was overclocking a 1900+ Palomino at a 1.9 vcore for around a year and
> >didn't see any loss of performance. It's default vcore was 1.75.

What do you base this on? Are you a EE or are you just speculating?

>I would suggest you try the following.
>
>Determine what your highest 100% stable fsb is - to a precision of 1
>MHz. Record all settings. Wait 6 months. At roughly the same room
>temp, perform the exact test you did 6 mo ago. With electron
>migration, the max freq of the cpu (and thusly the fsb) will slowly
>decrease.
>
>I would guess that after 6 moths the max fsb freq will be 1 or perhaps
>2 MHz lower.
>
>Forrest
>
>Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
>http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

Yes I am an EE but have never worked at an IC fab plant. So in some
way you could say I was speculating, it's just my experience...

On 02 Apr 2004 19:24:21 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:

>What do you base this on? Are you a EE or are you just speculating?
>
>>I would suggest you try the following.
>>
>>Determine what your highest 100% stable fsb is - to a precision of 1
>>MHz. Record all settings. Wait 6 months. At roughly the same room
>>temp, perform the exact test you did 6 mo ago. With electron
>>migration, the max freq of the cpu (and thusly the fsb) will slowly
>>decrease.
>>
>>I would guess that after 6 moths the max fsb freq will be 1 or perhaps
>>2 MHz lower.
>>
>>Forrest
>>
>>Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
>>http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/
>

>-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

See below...

On 02 Apr 2004 05:07:00 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:

>>1 MHz reduction after 6 months.
>
>If that is true I could live with it. In 2 years I would lose only 4Mhz.

The important thing is to make the test yourself. If there is or
isn't a problem - you'll know first hand...

>>Over the 3 years that I used it as my regular
>>machine, the upper end stability limit very noticeable deteriorated.
>
>Could the loss in stability have been caused by some other part of the system
>such as power supply?

Could well be, try for yourself :)