hard drive active, how do u disable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan

hi
can anyone help me? i have a hard drive that has been set
to active by windows and i cannot access it through
windows. how can i make it non active?

RobD

Champion

Right-mouse on My Computer->Manage->Disk Management. Select another drive
(not C) and right-mouse to "mark partition as active".

- Robert -

"alan" <alana257@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
> can anyone help me? i have a hard drive that has been set
> to active by windows and i cannot access it through
> windows. how can i make it non active?

yes i know how to make it active, but how do u get it off
active???!!!

RobD

Champion

select another drive?

- Robert -

> yes i know how to make it active, but how do u get it off
> active???!!!

i only have two drives

RobD

Champion

Okay, I found it. Run diskpart in a dos window and use "help" to see the
list of commands. The "inactive" command will unmark an active partition.

- Robert -

>i only have two drives

jnkevin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
1. Windows +R
2. Type "cmd"
3. At the prompt type "diskpart"
4. then after the ">" symbol type " list disk"

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 28 GB 1536 KB
Disk 1 Online 233 GB 993 KB

5.Now select the disk which you want to make INACTIVE (For instance if i want to make my Disk 1 as active i.e where the OS is installed and REQUIRED to boot, i need to select the drive which i want to make INACTIVE. In my example DISK 0)

DISKPART> SELECT DISK 0
Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

6. Type "list partition"

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 28 GB 1024 KB

7. Since there is a single partition on DISK 0, select it by issuing the command "select partition 1"

DISKPART> select partition 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

8.Type "inactive" - this will make disk 0 partition 1 as inactive

=============================
Explanation : This error crops up because you have been in Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management and selected more than 1 drive as ACTIVE together with the one which was already active- the one where your OS was .

Point to remember : THERE SHOULD BE ONLY ONE ACTIVE DRIVE SO YOU CANT SET MORE THAN ONE DRIVE AS ACTIVE

********************************IMPORTANT THING TO DO FIRST ***************************************
Also since you cant get your OS to boot you must specifically select the boot disk from where to boot.
On my PC it was F12-> then i selected "hard disk" from where i had all my drives listed.
From here you must select the drive where your OS was initially installed
Finally run the command 1-8 above the disable the other drives as ACTIVE.

Hope i helped you

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
jnkevin, I know this thread is 6 months old, but it was the only fix I could find on the internet. I marked a second drive to have an active partition by accident and I could not figure out how to undo it. Your explanation is as clear as day. Your help is appreciated greatly.

gadget_sa

Thanks jnkevin,
I too did the same and your VERY clear and precise instructions have sorted me out.

Much appreciated

barrybgb

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Hey Guys,

Don't laugh, but I just installed a SSD and found out that I have 3 of my 5 drives set as active. Just used Diskpart this morning on the SSD. Good to know about how to set the others as inactive.

thanks,