Closed

hard drive active, how do u disable

hi
can anyone help me? i have a hard drive that has been set
to active by windows and i cannot access it through
windows. how can i make it non active?
10 answers Last reply
More about hard drive active disable

    Right-mouse on My Computer->Manage->Disk Management. Select another drive
    (not C) and right-mouse to "mark partition as active".

    - Robert -

    "alan" <alana257@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hi
    > can anyone help me? i have a hard drive that has been set
    > to active by windows and i cannot access it through
    > windows. how can i make it non active?

    yes i know how to make it active, but how do u get it off
    active???!!!

    select another drive?

    - Robert -

    > yes i know how to make it active, but how do u get it off
    > active???!!!

    i only have two drives

    Okay, I found it. Run diskpart in a dos window and use "help" to see the
    list of commands. The "inactive" command will unmark an active partition.

    - Robert -

    >i only have two drives

  6. 1. Windows +R
    2. Type "cmd"
    3. At the prompt type "diskpart"
    4. then after the ">" symbol type " list disk"

    DISKPART> list disk

    Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 28 GB 1536 KB
    Disk 1 Online 233 GB 993 KB

    5.Now select the disk which you want to make INACTIVE (For instance if i want to make my Disk 1 as active i.e where the OS is installed and REQUIRED to boot, i need to select the drive which i want to make INACTIVE. In my example DISK 0)

    DISKPART> SELECT DISK 0
    Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

    6. Type "list partition"

    DISKPART> list partition

    Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Primary 28 GB 1024 KB

    7. Since there is a single partition on DISK 0, select it by issuing the command "select partition 1"

    DISKPART> select partition 1

    Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

    8.Type "inactive" - this will make disk 0 partition 1 as inactive

    =============================
    Explanation : This error crops up because you have been in Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management and selected more than 1 drive as ACTIVE together with the one which was already active- the one where your OS was .

    Point to remember : THERE SHOULD BE ONLY ONE ACTIVE DRIVE SO YOU CANT SET MORE THAN ONE DRIVE AS ACTIVE

    ********************************IMPORTANT THING TO DO FIRST ***************************************
    Also since you cant get your OS to boot you must specifically select the boot disk from where to boot.
    On my PC it was F12-> then i selected "hard disk" from where i had all my drives listed.
    From here you must select the drive where your OS was initially installed
    Finally run the command 1-8 above the disable the other drives as ACTIVE.

    Hope i helped you
  7. jnkevin, I know this thread is 6 months old, but it was the only fix I could find on the internet. I marked a second drive to have an active partition by accident and I could not figure out how to undo it. Your explanation is as clear as day. Your help is appreciated greatly.
  8. Thanks jnkevin,
    I too did the same and your VERY clear and precise instructions have sorted me out.

    Much appreciated
  9. Hey Guys,

    Don't laugh, but I just installed a SSD and found out that I have 3 of my 5 drives set as active. Just used Diskpart this morning on the SSD. Good to know about how to set the others as inactive.

    thanks,

Hardware Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP