NF7-S Memory?

Hi folks - I need some help sorting through all the choices out there.-
I plan on getting an NF7-S and would like to run a
mobile 2500+ barton.

"Some" gaming , some video related stuff (recording & playback) along w/
office related apps will be used.

Would like suggestions for 2-256 or 2-512 fast, good quality dual channel
modules. Suggestions?

PC3500?

Thanks

Ron M

I've had no problems with Mushkin Level I matched set - 256 x 2 - runs
superbly stable at advertised memory settings async at 400 (or 333 for that
matter) and at advertised voltage. Level I is pc3200. If you want pc3500,
think you have to go to Level II. Not sure why you would do that though,
considering that (I think) the NF7-S does 400 (412 technically) max
anyways. Update bios to currently id data on SPD.

Joe

Buffalo (winbond chips)256MB PC3200 ram works great at 400MHz.
Kingston hyperX PC400 512mb, also works great at 400MHz.
They both support dual channel.
I have 2 buffalo, 1 Kingston for a total of 1GB at 400MHz dual
channel.

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:12:58 GMT, "Earthlink News" <ram@teleport..com>
wrote:

>Hi folks - I need some help sorting through all the choices out there.-
>I plan on getting an NF7-S and would like to run a
>mobile 2500+ barton.
>
>"Some" gaming , some video related stuff (recording & playback) along w/
>office related apps will be used.
>
>Would like suggestions for 2-256 or 2-512 fast, good quality dual channel
>modules. Suggestions?
>
>PC3500?
>
>Thanks
>
>Ron M

Have you tried going above 200mhz w/ them?

--
Ron A. Marraccini

wrote:

>Hi folks - I need some help sorting through all the choices out there.-
>I plan on getting an NF7-S and would like to run a
>mobile 2500+ barton.
>
>"Some" gaming , some video related stuff (recording & playback) along w/
>office related apps will be used.
>
>Would like suggestions for 2-256 or 2-512 fast, good quality dual channel
>modules. Suggestions?
>
>PC3500?
>
>Thanks
>
>Ron M

Although you can overclock the fsb, with the mobile barton you can run
at higher cpu speeds without overclocking the FSB. You can buy pc3200
ram instead of pc3500 or pc3700 ram and save money. You also get away
with not overheating your nforce2 chipset, esp that chip without the
fan or heatsink on it. You'll get better performance by overclocking
the FSB, but let's face it, how much do you need ? Half the time the
computer is scratching it's ass waiting for you to do something.

I have an NF7-S am currently using Mushkin PC 3500 Level I 2 x 256 mb. I
can run these at 212 mhz fsb = 424 mhz in dual channel with my Athlon xp
2400+ (212 x 10 - 2120 mhz). My idel cpu temp is 37C and 45C under load
with air cooling. I have a lot of fans and an aluminum case so the cooling
is adequate. Don't know if I'd recommend that high of an overclock to you
if you don't have good cooling. Hope that helps.

Aaron

"Qwest News" <ram@teleport.nospm.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried going above 200mhz w/ them?
>
> --
> Ron A. Marraccini
>
> ("F.N" <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Buffalo (winbond chips)256MB PC3200 ram works great at 400MHz.
> > Kingston hyperX PC400 512mb, also works great at 400MHz.
> > They both support dual channel.
> > I have 2 buffalo, 1 Kingston for a total of 1GB at 400MHz dual
> > channel.
> >

> > On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:12:58 GMT, "Earthlink News" <ram@teleport..com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Hi folks - I need some help sorting through all the choices out there.-
> > >I plan on getting an NF7-S and would like to run a
> > >mobile 2500+ barton.
> > >
> > >"Some" gaming , some video related stuff (recording & playback) along
w/
> > >office related apps will be used.
> > >
> > >Would like suggestions for 2-256 or 2-512 fast, good quality dual
channel
> > >modules. Suggestions?
> > >
> > >PC3500?
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >
> > >Ron M

Nope. Since my CPU is a 133 FSB part, I am already pushing it to get
to 200.

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 16:33:23 -0800, "Qwest News"
<ram@teleport.nospm.com> wrote:

>Have you tried going above 200mhz w/ them?

OK - so what would be good pc3200 low latency ram (CL=2)to run w/ this thing
in dual channel?

I am still hearing that pc3500 will give me some "headroom" though and I
understand that there is/was some problems w/ the Kingston pc3500 modules.

Ron Marraccini

<burgerKing@heartattack.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:12:58 GMT, "Earthlink News" <ram@teleport..com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi folks - I need some help sorting through all the choices out there.-
> >I plan on getting an NF7-S and would like to run a
> >mobile 2500+ barton.
> >
> >"Some" gaming , some video related stuff (recording & playback) along w/
> >office related apps will be used.
> >
> >Would like suggestions for 2-256 or 2-512 fast, good quality dual channel
> >modules. Suggestions?
> >
> >PC3500?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Ron M
> >

> Although you can overclock the fsb, with the mobile barton you can run
> at higher cpu speeds without overclocking the FSB. You can buy pc3200
> ram instead of pc3500 or pc3700 ram and save money. You also get away
> with not overheating your nforce2 chipset, esp that chip without the
> fan or heatsink on it. You'll get better performance by overclocking
> the FSB, but let's face it, how much do you need ? Half the time the
> computer is scratching it's ass waiting for you to do something.

fred

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:00:31 -0700, "Qwest News"
<ram@teleport.nospm.com> wrote:

>OK - so what would be good pc3200 low latency ram (CL=2)to run w/ this thing
>in dual channel?
>
>I am still hearing that pc3500 will give me some "headroom" though and I
>understand that there is/was some problems w/ the Kingston pc3500 modules.
>
>Ron Marraccini

I hear mushkin is pretty good. I'd go to newegg.com and do a search
by brand. scrolling down the page they list the different modules,
the Cas ratings, size, price etc. They have user reviews too. But most
of those just talk about overclocking the fsb. You can figure out how
much you want to spend.

Corsair, OCZ, some other good brands.

I went ahead and ordered one of the Mushkin 2-256
PC3200 2-2-2 Special memory twinpacks (bh-6 stuff)
for my NF7-S to run in dual channel.
Newegg has it on sale.

Hope it'll do the job.

Ron Marraccini

<fred@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:00:31 -0700, "Qwest News"
> <ram@teleport.nospm.com> wrote:
>
> >OK - so what would be good pc3200 low latency ram (CL=2)to run w/ this
thing
> >in dual channel?
> >
> >I am still hearing that pc3500 will give me some "headroom" though and I
> >understand that there is/was some problems w/ the Kingston pc3500
modules.

> >Ron Marraccini
>
> I hear mushkin is pretty good. I'd go to newegg.com and do a search
> by brand. scrolling down the page they list the different modules,
> the Cas ratings, size, price etc. They have user reviews too. But most
> of those just talk about overclocking the fsb. You can figure out how
> much you want to spend.
>
> Corsair, OCZ, some other good brands.

freddy

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 00:48:16 -0700, "Qwest News"
<ram@teleport.nospm.com> wrote:

>I went ahead and ordered one of the Mushkin 2-256
>PC3200 2-2-2 Special memory twinpacks (bh-6 stuff)
>for my NF7-S to run in dual channel.
>Newegg has it on sale.
>
>Hope it'll do the job.

Supposed to be real good stuff. Exactly what you're looking for.