Abit KT7 RAID CPU Upgrade

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 2, 2004 8:22:37 PM

Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I'm looking to upgrade the CPU in an Abit KT7 RAID (VIA KT133 100 FSB) but I can't find any of the officially supported processors max 1.4 MHz Athlon Thunderbird or 1.2 MHz Duron. I have seen that some people have got Athlon XPs to work in them, but they're all multiplier locked now, as far as I'm aware. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to whether one of the Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ would work in this board. Also, would the board be capable of supplying sufficient power to the CPU ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2004 9:21:09 PM

What about a Athlon 1.33 266FSB. Newegg has them for 43 bucks, and alot of
people got factory unlocked versions ( I did as well , AYHJA core if I
remember). I run it in a KT7A-Raid though. Heat is definatley an issue. I
got a Coolermaster HHC-001 sitting on mine. Power wise, the maximium current
draw is around 42A / thermal dissipation is 73W. Question is, how big is the
power supply your currently using? I started with a generic 350W, went to a
generic 450W when the first gave out, then went all out for a Antec 550W to
accomodate a better vid card. As far as any 266FSB proc in that board, I
think your still gonna have to run it slower than its full potential.

"Steve" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message news:200442162237.472220@-...
Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I'm looking to upgrade the CPU in an Abit KT7 RAID (VIA KT133 100 FSB) but I
can't find any of the officially supported processors max 1.4 MHz Athlon
Thunderbird or 1.2 MHz Duron. I have seen that some people have got Athlon
XPs to work in them, but they're all multiplier locked now, as far as I'm
aware. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to whether one of the
Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ would work in this board. Also, would the board be
capable of supplying sufficient power to the CPU ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2004 11:02:37 PM

That 100FSB does limit your max speed. However, I bought new Duron1600MHz
last month, and it is unlocked. You can run it at 12,5 x 100 = 1250MHz,
without problem. Or try putting an XP2000 or 2200 in it, it won't run at max
speed, but that's all to it.

"Steve" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message news:200442162237.472220@-...
Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I'm looking to upgrade the CPU in an Abit KT7 RAID (VIA KT133 100 FSB) but I
can't find any of the officially supported processors max 1.4 MHz Athlon
Thunderbird or 1.2 MHz Duron. I have seen that some people have got Athlon
XPs to work in them, but they're all multiplier locked now, as far as I'm
aware. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to whether one of the
Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ would work in this board. Also, would the board be
capable of supplying sufficient power to the CPU ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2004 3:22:10 AM

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 16:22:37 +0100, Steve wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I wonder if anyone can help me.
>
> I'm looking to upgrade the CPU in an Abit KT7 RAID (VIA KT133 100 FSB)
> but I can't find any of the officially supported processors max 1.4 MHz
> Athlon Thunderbird or 1.2 MHz Duron. I have seen that some people have
> got Athlon XPs to work in them, but they're all multiplier locked now,
> as far as I'm aware. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to
> whether one of the Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ would work in this board.
> Also, would the board be capable of supplying sufficient power to the
> CPU ?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

The link below should answer most of your questions.

April 3, 2004 5:23:38 PM

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 16:22:37 +0100, Steve wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I wonder if anyone can help me.
>

> I'm looking to upgrade the CPU in an Abit KT7 RAID (VIA KT133 100
> FSB) but I can't find any of the officially supported processors
> max 1.4 MHz Athlon Thunderbird or 1.2 MHz Duron. I have seen that
> some people have got Athlon XPs to work in them, but they're all
> multiplier locked now, as far as I'm aware. So I was wondering if
> anyone had any ideas as to whether one of the Mobile Athlon XP
> 2500+ would work in this board. Also, would the board be capable
> of supplying sufficient power to the CPU ?
>

> Any help would be much appreciated.
>

> Steve.

Hi Guys, thanks for your help.

Firstly, I must say DOH! I did mean GHz for the CPU speed, not MHz, I think working with my Pentium 200 has finally driven me nuts :)

Deadman,

Thanks for the info. I'm in the the UK, so I wanted a UK supplier, and i can't say as I've seen them over here. I had heard that those chips get hot, so I've already got a Thermalright SP-97 with a Panaflo 92mm and Arctic Silver 5 to cope with the heat of whatever chip I put in. I've read that the Athlon 1.4 needs to be locked to go in the KT7, otherwise it won't work so I guess there's a chance it would apply to the 1.33 too. If it was locked then on the KT7, it would only run at 1 GHz, which wouldn't be hugely faster than the Duron 700 already in. The PSU running the system is a Macron 300W, which is meant to be a good make. I actually hadn't considered whether that would be beefy enough for a CPU upgrade.

Asestar

Thanks, I hadn't considered the high speed Duron, I didn't realise they were unlocked, I'll see what I can find over here, I'll look into the Athlons too, shame nasty old AMD had to lock them.

Wes,

Thanks, I've looked over your site and it's got some very good info there. I have a couple more questions now that I hope you might be able to answer.

I understand that all Athlons excluding the Mobile are now locked, which would mean that I could only run the chip with the fixed multiplier and the 100 FSB ?

To run the chip at high speed, i.e above 12.5 x 100, it needs to have a multiplier of 13 or more ?

Will the KT7 support Barton CPUs ?

What I was considering was a Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ from what I understand it is an 1800 MHz chip on a 133 FSB, giving a multiplier of 13.5, running at 1.45 volts. Do you think this is likely to run ok in the board, or do you have any experience with the chip ? I found a review at

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3J...

but notice that the chip defaulted to 133 x 6. I assume if this happened on the KT7 then it wouldn't be possible to get at the high multipliers?

Do any mods need to be made to either the chip or the board to get them to work together?

Thanks again :)
Steve.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2004 7:00:39 PM

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:23:38 +0100, Steve <no@email.com> wrote:

> [...]

>I understand that all Athlons excluding the Mobile are now locked, which would mean that I could only run the chip with the fixed multiplier and the 100 FSB ?

>To run the chip at high speed, i.e above 12.5 x 100, it needs to have a multiplier of 13 or more ?

>Will the KT7 support Barton CPUs ?

>What I was considering was a Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ from what I understand it is an 1800 MHz chip on a 133 FSB, giving a multiplier of 13.5, running at 1.45 volts. Do you think this is likely to run ok in the board, or do you have any experience with the chip ? I found a review at

>http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3J...

>but notice that the chip defaulted to 133 x 6. I assume if this happened on the KT7 then it wouldn't be possible to get at the high multipliers?

>Do any mods need to be made to either the chip or the board to get them to work together?

I'll let Wes tell you about the re-mapping, just to say CPU City have
the unlocked Bartons & the Mobile, and the Mobile is cheaper than the
Barton at £63.45 (inc VAT).

http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalog/default.php?cPath...
http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalog/default.php?cPath...

BoroLad
April 3, 2004 9:06:35 PM

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 15:00:39 +0100, borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
> [...]
>>

>> What I was considering was a Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ from what I
>> understand it is an 1800 MHz chip on a 133 FSB, giving a
>> multiplier of 13.5, running at 1.45 volts. Do you think this is
>> likely to run ok in the board, or do you have any experience with
>> the chip ? I found a review at
>>

>> http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3J...
>> ImdXJsX3BhZ2U9MQ==
>>

>> but notice that the chip defaulted to 133 x 6. I assume if this
>> happened on the KT7 then it wouldn't be possible to get at the
>> high multipliers?
>>

>> Do any mods need to be made to either the chip or the board to
>> get them to work together?
>>

>> Thanks again :)
>> Steve.
>>

> I'll let Wes tell you about the re-mapping, just to say CPU City
> have the unlocked Bartons & the Mobile, and the Mobile is cheaper

Cheers BoroLad,

That was just what I had in mind, and the shop to get it from too, if I can find out for sure that it will work, as I don't want to waste £70 odd if it won't play nice with the board.

Steve.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 4:33:50 AM

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:23:38 +0100, Steve wrote:

> Wes,
>
> Thanks, I've looked over your site and it's got some very good info
> there. I have a couple more questions now that I hope you might be able
> to answer.
>
> I understand that all Athlons excluding the Mobile are now locked, which
> would mean that I could only run the chip with the fixed multiplier and
> the 100 FSB ?

Correct. You could do the MP mod on faster ones, but it's not worth the
hassle IMO.

> To run the chip at high speed, i.e above 12.5 x 100, it needs to have a
> multiplier of 13 or more ?

Correct, and as long as the default multiplier on the cpu is 13 or higher,
you have access to multipliers up to 24x. But read the old values in the
bios. See Multiplier Cross Reference in link.

> Will the KT7 support Barton CPUs ?

Yes. It will run any socket A cpu. Several used 2500+'s (modded to 13
default multiplier) for access to the upper multipliers. You will need an
unlocked one though.

> What I was considering was a Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ from what I
> understand it is an 1800 MHz chip on a 133 FSB, giving a multiplier of
> 13.5, running at 1.45 volts. Do you think this is likely to run ok in
> the board, or do you have any experience with the chip ? I found a
> review at
>
> http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3J...
>
> but notice that the chip defaulted to 133 x 6. I assume if this
> happened on the KT7 then it wouldn't be possible to get at the high
> multipliers?

You have to mod the default powerup multiplier at a minimum. I wouldn't
mess with it, but it can probably be made to work.

> Do any mods need to be made to either the chip or the board to get them
> to work together?

Depends on the cpu you buy. If it has a default multiplier of 13 or higher
and is unlocked, then no mods are required to anything and it will boot at
a default of 2000MHz (20x100). Only catch is that the cpu you buy must be
able to run at that speed, and that leaves out Palomino and Tbred A cores.
An unlocked 2400+ guarantees a Tbred B core.

Your problem is going to be making sure you get an unlocked cpu. The
default multiplier can always be changed on an unlocked cpul, so consider
anything I mention as only applicable to an unlocked cpu.

cheapest: XP 1700+-2000+, Must be Tbred B core and you have to change
default multiplier. 2100+, 2200+ Must be Tbred B cores. No mods required.
Bartons:All except 3000+/333, have to change default multiplier.

A tbred B core for 1700+-2200+ is indicated by a B as the last letter of
the stepping code, as in AxxxIB or JxxxB. All above 2200+ or B cores or
Bartons.

Unlocked cpu's should have a date code of 0338, and maybe prior to 0334 to
be safe. Some have reported 0334 cpu's to be locked. Ebay may be your best
shot at one of the unlocked cpu's.