KT7A-RAID/Windows XP installation problem

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Windows XP
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2004 4:57:20 PM

I would appreciate suggestions where to look for solutions for the following
unexpected problem:

Motherboard with A9 BIOS with HPT BIOS 1.11.0402 in a RAID-1 configuration
running fine under Windows ME, but now I am installing Windows XP without
success:

I have deleted RAID, uncoupled one HD, (re)formatted the other. Half way
setup Windows XP reports a problem (without details, but suggesting amongst
others to check for viruses), and installation is interrupted.

Same HD, same cable, but now plugged into motherboard IDE slot gives an
installation without any problem. Subsequently plugging the cable into the
RAID slot leads to the message that Windows cannot start; choosing safe
mode does not help.

What to do??

Regards from the Netherlands and thanks,

Frans

More about : kt7a raid windows installation problem

April 3, 2004 4:57:21 PM

Sounds like you're still using the original HPT BIOS, which probably
preceeds the existence of XP, it could very well have a bug! I sold my
KT7A-RAID rev 1.3 mobo about 6 months ago, and it ran just fine on the HPT
controller (albeit, the I was never impressed w/ the HPT RAID controller
performance, but that's another story).

I strongly recommend you get one of the "modified" BIOS versions, the one w/
the more recent HPT BIOS releases. Unfortunately, the releases from Abit
have always maintained the original HPT BIOS for some unexplained reason.
Therefore, any bugs related to the HPT controller never get updated, no
matter how recent the KT7A-RAID BIOS is updated. I supect if you had a more
recent HPT BIOS your current problems would probably go away.

Sudhian Media has been kind enough to continue hosting of the KT7A FAQ (
http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=2 ), although it's no longer
maintained (AFAIK). If you check out the BIOS section, you'll see links to
a download section where modified Abit BIOS's can be obtained that include
the more recent HPT BIOS releases. Of course, these are "unofficial", but
have worked fine for me. Be careful to use the one's for YOUR version of
this board! The KT7A was released in RAID and NON-RAID versions, and the
RAID version has 1.3 and pre-1.3 releases. So don't install the wrong one,
triple-check before flashing!

If you still have problems getting hold of the most recent modified
releases, you can build a release yourself using the CBROM utility (also
explained in the FAQ). Takes a little patience to learn the process, but
it's not all that difficult, and employs exactly the same procedures used by
the authors of the other modified releases. I used it myself to create an
Abit 9R + HPT 2.32 modified BIOS (something never available from the FAQ),
worked just fine. If you're REALLY stuck and confused by the process, I can
probably dig out an old copy of my release somewhere, or make you a new
release myself, or someone else in this forum probably already has one or
knows where one might be posted. Just let us know.

HTH

Jim

"Frans Verhelst" <frans.verhelst@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> I would appreciate suggestions where to look for solutions for the
following
> unexpected problem:
>
> Motherboard with A9 BIOS with HPT BIOS 1.11.0402 in a RAID-1 configuration
> running fine under Windows ME, but now I am installing Windows XP without
> success:
>
> I have deleted RAID, uncoupled one HD, (re)formatted the other. Half way
> setup Windows XP reports a problem (without details, but suggesting
amongst
> others to check for viruses), and installation is interrupted.
>
> Same HD, same cable, but now plugged into motherboard IDE slot gives an
> installation without any problem. Subsequently plugging the cable into
the
> RAID slot leads to the message that Windows cannot start; choosing safe
> mode does not help.
>
> What to do??
>
> Regards from the Netherlands and thanks,
>
> Frans

April 4, 2004 4:44:31 AM

"Frans Verhelst" <frans.verhelst@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> I would appreciate suggestions where to look for solutions for the
following
> unexpected problem:
>
> Motherboard with A9 BIOS with HPT BIOS 1.11.0402 in a RAID-1 configuration
> running fine under Windows ME, but now I am installing Windows XP without
> success:
>
> I have deleted RAID, uncoupled one HD, (re)formatted the other. Half way
> setup Windows XP reports a problem (without details, but suggesting
amongst
> others to check for viruses), and installation is interrupted.
>
> Same HD, same cable, but now plugged into motherboard IDE slot gives an
> installation without any problem. Subsequently plugging the cable into
the
> RAID slot leads to the message that Windows cannot start; choosing safe
> mode does not help.
>
> What to do??
>
> Regards from the Netherlands and thanks,
>
> Frans

You don't say if you need to install 3rd party drivers, which you probably
do, is this the case.?
When you first begin XP installation you need to have these drivers on a
floppy disk and push F6 (look for message at bottom of screen)
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 4:44:32 AM

Ron A. Marraccini
RAM Legal Systems - OBI #146
2000 N.E. 42nd Ave., #192
Portland, OR 97213
(503) 232-2470
http://www.teleport.com/~ram
"blah" <blah@blah.blah> wrote in message

> "Frans Verhelst" <frans.verhelst@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> > I would appreciate suggestions where to look for solutions for the
> following
> > unexpected problem:
> >
> > Motherboard with A9 BIOS with HPT BIOS 1.11.0402 in a RAID-1
configuration
> > running fine under Windows ME, but now I am installing Windows XP
without
> > success:
> >
> > I have deleted RAID, uncoupled one HD, (re)formatted the other. Half way
> > setup Windows XP reports a problem (without details, but suggesting
> amongst
> > others to check for viruses), and installation is interrupted.
> >
> > Same HD, same cable, but now plugged into motherboard IDE slot gives an
> > installation without any problem. Subsequently plugging the cable into
> the
> > RAID slot leads to the message that Windows cannot start; choosing safe
> > mode does not help.
> >
> > What to do??
> >
> > Regards from the Netherlands and thanks,
> >
> > Frans
> >

> You don't say if you need to install 3rd party drivers, which you probably
> do, is this the case.?
> When you first begin XP installation you need to have these drivers on a
> floppy disk and push F6 (look for message at bottom of screen)

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 4:44:32 AM

I have a modifed A9 bios w/ the latest 2.35 HP extensions
for the RAID function. Additionally, there's a few more settings available
like ACPI on/off etc.

You would also have to install the 2.35 drivers from a floppy via the F6 at
the XP install.

This modded bios is for Versions 1.0 - 2.0 of the motherboard.

Let me know if you need it.
ram@teleport.com

--
Ron Marraccini
"blah" <blah@blah.blah> wrote in message

> "Frans Verhelst" <frans.verhelst@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> > I would appreciate suggestions where to look for solutions for the
> following
> > unexpected problem:
> >
> > Motherboard with A9 BIOS with HPT BIOS 1.11.0402 in a RAID-1
configuration
> > running fine under Windows ME, but now I am installing Windows XP
without
> > success:
> >
> > I have deleted RAID, uncoupled one HD, (re)formatted the other. Half way
> > setup Windows XP reports a problem (without details, but suggesting
> amongst
> > others to check for viruses), and installation is interrupted.
> >
> > Same HD, same cable, but now plugged into motherboard IDE slot gives an
> > installation without any problem. Subsequently plugging the cable into
> the
> > RAID slot leads to the message that Windows cannot start; choosing safe
> > mode does not help.
> >
> > What to do??
> >
> > Regards from the Netherlands and thanks,
> >
> > Frans
> >

> You don't say if you need to install 3rd party drivers, which you probably
> do, is this the case.?
> When you first begin XP installation you need to have these drivers on a
> floppy disk and push F6 (look for message at bottom of screen)

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 6:18:18 PM

Hello Jim, Blah and Ron,

Many thanks for your advice: it works! I downloaded BIOS A9 including HPT
BIOS 2.32 as well as the HPT driver 2.32 from www.sudhian.com, flashed the
BIOS, installed the driver.............and the miracle happened: it
functions! Great, thanks once more.

Frans

"Frans Verhelst" <frans.verhelst@xs4all.nl> schreef in bericht

!