My IDE is reading as SCSI

Mandy

MY cd burner and dvd writer are both connected to an IDE
plug, and they are being acknowledged by xp as SCSI
devices. Neither one of them will burn with any program
that I try to use. Anyone have any ideas?

Search the net for ATAPI, you might find something to help you there.
Some programs require ATAPI, but if I'm not mistaken XP doesn't include
ATAPI drivers. I can't be more helpful without more information.

FireFox

Mandy wrote:

> MY cd burner and dvd writer are both connected to an IDE
> plug, and they are being acknowledged by xp as SCSI
> devices. Neither one of them will burn with any program
> that I try to use. Anyone have any ideas?

When you connect IDE devices to a plug-in card, the BIOS of that
plug-in controller will usually present the IDE devices to the
OS as SCSI devices. And, many plug-in controllers do not support
any devices other than HDs.

So, try connecting your optical widgets to an on-board IDE
controller, instead of a plug-in card. If necessary, move one
of your HDs to that plug-in card.
--
Cheers, Bob

>When you connect IDE devices to a plug-in card, the BIOS
of that
>plug-in controller will usually present the IDE devices
to the
>OS as SCSI devices. And, many plug-in controllers do
not support
>any devices other than HDs.
>
>So, try connecting your optical widgets to an on-board
IDE
>controller, instead of a plug-in card. If necessary,
move one
>of your HDs to that plug-in card.
>--
>Cheers, Bob
>
>.Hi Bob, thanks for trying to help. I should have been
more specific. My drives are plugged into the
controllers on the motherboard, not an additional card.
Do you have any other ideas?

XP usually lumps all non-stand suff into "SCSI", including IDE-RAID and
SATA. Any chance that you have a RAID controller, intended for hard drives
of course, but are trying to use it for a CD or DVD device? My motherboard
has a separate controller for non-RAID devices, and that is where I
connected my DVD reader.

By the way, once recognized as a CD or DVD device, XP should automatically
load drivers to do reading. Writing usually requires some additional
software, whihc often comes with the burner hardware. Playing DVD movies
requires a software DVD player, which is not proivided by XP.
"Mandy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MY cd burner and dvd writer are both connected to an IDE
> plug, and they are being acknowledged by xp as SCSI
> devices. Neither one of them will burn with any program
> that I try to use. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi, I just had a problem I could not solve on my own.
My cd writer was not recognized by XP home edition.
I listed my problem on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup, got one reply and it didn't solve
my problem. In desperation I poked around the Control Panel
until I stumbled on Help and Support Centre. I asked for support and within less then 24 hours
they e-mailed a procedure which solved my problem.
If you would like to get support to solve your problem, left click on:
START>Control Panel>Help and Support (on left panel)>
Get support (on right panel)>Get help from (on left panel)>>Ask support professional for help (on right panel) then answer a series of questions.

Just in case you want to use the procedure that solved my problem,
I'm including it here as a combination of two procedures, one from Help Centre
and one I found posted by Anonymous on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup.
I made it a bit more user friendly but lengthy. Hope you don't mind. All the best, Adam

What to do if CD Writer is not recognized by Windows XP home edition?

I suggest that you print the following procedure and work from paper copy.

In case you don't know how to copy and print text,
point cursor at top left of the text to print (When you loaded XP, etc),
press and hold mouse's left button, drag the cursor to the right of the screen
and then to the bottom right of the text,
release left button, right click anywhere on the text, point cursor at word Copy
and left click on it once.
Open Notepad by left clicking on Start>All Programs>Accessories>Notepad.
Point cursor at top left of the blank page and right click. Left click on word Paste.
Text should appear on the Notepad's blank page.
To print left click on File (top left)>Print>Print button.
This text fits on one page, but only if you print starting with the next sentence.

When you loaded XP, was cd burning software like Easy CD Creator loaded on the computer?
Was your CD writer listed in the BIOS? (BIOS is in white writing on black background
right after computer starts up and before Windows XP loads up)
Is it absent from the Device Manager?
To check left click on: Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>
Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES
Minimize the Computer Management window, you will need it later.
You are unable to load a new driver?
Reloading cd burning software doesn't make any difference?
Yes to all of the above means the culprits are the Upper/Lower Filters.

1. Uninstall any cd burning software from the system.
Then reboot by left clicking on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART

2. Left click START>RUN, Type regedit , left click OK, to open the Registry Editor.
To expand each line, left click on + (plus sign) to the left of each of the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CURRENTCONTROLSET>CONTROL>CLASS.
Find and highlight (left click) on the line: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. To save this file to the Desktop, in case this procedure does not work:
Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, then left click on EXPORT.
Left click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} in Export Registry File
to highlight it, this will place this line in File Name box, left click on Save. Close Export Registry File.

4. With the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}key still
blue on the left hand panel of Registry Editor,
look on the right hand panel under Name for an entry for Upper Filters. Delete Upper Filters.
To delete, right click on Upper Filters, left click on Delete.
If there is an entry for Lower Filters, delete them as well.
Right click on Lower Filters, left click on Delete. Close the Registry Editor.

5. To restart the machine left click on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART.
To see if your cd writer is in Device Manager left click on the minimized
Comuter Management icon in bottom bar or left click on:
Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>>Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES.
Right click on your CD Writer and left click on Uninstall.
Left click OK on Confirm Device Removal dialog box. This removes your CD Writer from
the computer, so software can do the procedure of locating newly installed devices.
Now right click on your computer's name at the top of the tree on right hand panel
of Computer Management window, to the right of an icon of a computer,
left click on: Scan For Hardware Changes. This reinstalls your cd writer on your computer.

6. Reinstall cd burning software and check that your cd writer works OK.

..