AMD Corporate VP and CTO of Graphics Departs Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Damn.. they are bleeding management over there. The company is probably going in a direction all these people don't agree with.

Can't be good.

ivaroeines

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]dreckss[/nom]what is up with the revolving door at amd?[/citation]
Think the "failures" of latest of generations of CPU's from AMD have been hard for the management team, I do think they may worry too much about bad test results. I think there are many that support AMD despite the fact that test results of their CPU's are poorish, all current CPU's from AMD are more than fast enough for most peoples needs and i do think that people support AMD in a far greater extent than their bosses realize. AMD is needed to keep Intel on its toes, it would be a bad day for us computer enthusiasts if AMD where to go down, so i keep buying AMD products even if it makes me look silly.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Upper management makes most of their money on bonuses and stock, maybe AMD is unable to pay in order to keep good talent. I know there was a website somewhere with public knowledge of bonuses someone could dig up for us to confirm this!

G

".., a game plan that is resonating with our customers and our team," You mean like, better driver suppor-You know what, nevermind.

With Obama in the White House, leaving for other opportunities probably means collecting unemployment.

Maybe they are just removing redundant positions. Then again, I can see Intel poaching him to help with their graphics development. If we see a news report of him getting added to the roster of another megacorp, then we will know.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]clearly the CTO of graphics saw that the grass is greener outside amd's pasture or maybe he's starting to like blue skies[/citation]
Perhaps AMD was tired of cleaning up his mess. Perhaps that is hard to believe with the quality of AMD's GPU offerings, however, his title was Corporate VP, and likely had influence, perhaps detrimental, elsewhere. "To pursue other opportunities" is often corporate speak for "asked to resign because of ideas not fitting with corporate vision."

f-14

Distinguished
i wish the rest of the ATi managment would quit, they couldn't even keep ATI floating with their only main source of competition being Nvidia.
incorporating them into AMD has laid tragic waste to the CPU division.

chiefbox

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
It's the attrition effect due to 2 factors: 1) AMD buying ATI; 2) a new CEO from the platform world of IBM and Lenovo - not a silicon guy. This kind of exodus is not necessarily always a bad thing, but in this case it has not been a good thing for AMD/ATI (for the past 5-6 years).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ivaroeines[/nom]Think the "failures" of latest of generations of CPU's from AMD have been hard for the management team, I do think they may worry too much about bad test results. I think there are many that support AMD despite the fact that test results of their CPU's are poorish, all current CPU's from AMD are more than fast enough for most peoples needs and i do think that people support AMD in a far greater extent than their bosses realize. AMD is needed to keep Intel on its toes, it would be a bad day for us computer enthusiasts if AMD where to go down, so i keep buying AMD products even if it makes me look silly.[/citation]

actually bulldozer is a great start for their threading solution... its just coming at a time when there is a threading solution that has matured.

and even if amd kept to the low and mid end for their cpu line, would that really be bad? i mean multi thread cpu, that acts more like cores than threads, it could potentially run better than the single core ones once dx11 used and the processor is sorted out, so for games, amd would probably have the better value in a generation or two, again.

at the same time i like amd because of their buissness model, whether its because they are forced to play the good guy, or because they want to, i like them for that.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Martell1977[/nom]With Obama in the White House, leaving for other opportunities probably means collecting unemployment.[/citation]Thank you for bring politics to the site. I'll make a deal with you, when you have something to say that is not from the spin zone from fascists foreigner owned network and a pill-popping arm-chair politician and base your statements on facts. I won't call you a zombie. I know, such things mean nothing to you as it doesn't fit into your little world, but guess what?

YOU are NOT the only person living in this country. nor the only kind. There is a REASON we ALL DO NOT OWN a XYZ-ATI 6890 card and we all upgrade on the same day or all own an Intel powered system running Apple OS or all drive a Ford Taurus.

We all have our reasons for a preference or an opinion. Making up crap or ignoring information to fit an ideology on purpose or in fantasy is only something a stupid or deranged person does. Perhaps some day your bubble will pop, not counting on that - since that is up to you. We have these tools call the internet / youtube with dated material. Obama did not become President and the country fell apart in Janurary 2009. We were crashing in 2008. The GOP cried (literally) for the bank bailouts. Slowly in 2009, job loss slowed and hiring is going up. Name a single bloody thing the GOP has done to create jobs. All those nice big checks Bobby Jingle handed out and highway projected that started up in Texas that those governors take credit for were funded by... the stimulus.

But the thing that would be nice, is to go somewhere on the internet without some fox-zombie saying some off-hand Liberal remark, race or birth insult or other BS which has nothing to do with any president or politics from some moron who must be having some strange sexual fantasies of a certain black man (but won't admit it) in every waking and dreaming moment of their lives.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]actually bulldozer is a great start for their threading solution... ~ and even if amd kept to the low and mid end for their cpu line, would that really be bad? i mean multi thread cpu, that acts more like cores than threads~.[/citation]
First, there is nothing I see that is showing how the AMD FX (bulldozer/piledriver/whatever heavy machinery name they want to use) module design is going to get much better in the future. The updates to Win7 results nil changes (slightly better or slightly worse). Win8 may squeeze out an extra 3~5% of of an FX chip, but it may also get even more out of an Intel I-Number-mystery-chips as well.

AMD took a page out of intel and made their own version of the SLOW Pentium 4. Hyper-threading and long-pipes = severe latency issues. Hence, the top-end $280 FX-8150 is sometimes slower than a two-year old AMD PII-X4 chip that sells for $130. When a person buys a $280 intel I5 CPU, it will be faster in every way than an intel $150 CPU. Hence, AMD FX = FAIL. The functionality of the FX shows its really a 2 / 3 / 4 core design with modules that acts like cores, sometimes. Remember, the P4 did the same thing. Along with CPU throttling... ugh.

There is nothing wrong with AMD being the master of the low and mid-range markets, if they can survive and compete. Agreed that for MOST typical people, with Windows7 - they can get away with a dual core modern $50 CPU & 2GB of RAM and still be content with the performance (sans crapware).

But AMD has a cluster-F of a mess on their hands. The released the nice A-series chip, which costs as much as a PII with a decent $40 discrete video card. But it only plugs into the FM1 motherboards which have native USB 3.0 (yeah). But the phasing out PII CPUs only work on 700 thru the latest re-labeled 900 series mobos... AND the "Top end" FX CPUs only work on the "900" series boards which don't support USB 3.0 native. FM2 is due to come out later this year or 2013. But FX may or may not fit that platform... so if the user wants to upgrade, they are screwed.

On top of that mess, back to the first part (kind of), the $280 FX 8150 is typically a lower performance part than the Intel i5-2400 which sells for $150. Why would I or most people pay almost double for a typically slower part? yeah, sometimes the 8150 is faster than the i5-2500K... okay, pay $20 extra for the i7-2600K and leave the FX in the dust in every benchmark.

It'll hurt profits, may improve sales. But AMD needs to reduce to a single consumer socket (The Socket AM1~3 have worked quite well) to FM2, end the "Phenom" line. A-series become standard with the quad core costing $100 or less. The FX8150 should retail for $150 as its performance doesn't equate a higher price compared to other products.

I see no reason for my next upgrade to be an AMD. I was looking forward to getting a Bulldozer.

Status
Not open for further replies.