Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer restarting issue

Last response: in Windows 7
January 11, 2011 11:47:14 AM

Wasn't completely sure where to post this thread, as I'm not sure of what component maybe be causing it, so sorry if it's in the wrong section of forums..but anyways.

My computer has been restarting lately, at completely random times..sometimes after 40 minutes, or maybe a few hours.

I recently had viruses that I got rid of, then also reloaded my windows 7 with quick format, and i continue to have the same problems. It may restart when I'm using my computer, or restart when the computer has been idle the entire time.

750 watt antec PSU
phenom x4 755 3.2ghz
4GB a-data DDR3 1600
M4a785td-m asus motherboard
had a rather old 8800GTX video card installed, but took it out for diagnosing and didn't seem to help
2 80gb SATA 7200rpm harddrives in RAID

I was suspecting possibly either power supply going bad, or hard drives crashing. but any speculation would help

a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2011 1:16:56 PM

Do you get a BSOD? Or do you get windows has recovered from a serious problem after restarting?

There might be still viri in the boot sector of the drive, you might have to completly wipe the drive and do a full format.
January 11, 2011 4:59:05 PM

fowang said:
Do you get a BSOD? Or do you get windows has recovered from a serious problem after restarting?

There might be still viri in the boot sector of the drive, you might have to completly wipe the drive and do a full format.

good thought..Was wondering the same thing myself. I suppose i should've chosen to do a full format instead. However I'm not quite convinced a virus is causing the problem. and no, no blue screen of death that I see, just straight restart.

Also to note, no overheating issues are occurring that I'm aware of. My PC probe shows temps are fine and voltages on motherboard seem at the right spot. If it occurs again I might try doing the full format though. Or maybe replacing my old 7200rpm's with a SSD. but if anyone has any other ideas please keep the replies coming. thanks
Related resources
January 11, 2011 6:05:05 PM

I would try a clean install, but unfortunately, it seems like it could be one of those issues that could be from a myriad of sources.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team
January 11, 2011 9:39:41 PM

thanks w7pro, but i've already tried cleanly installing. But I think my last system restart since taking out my video card was due to windows updates, as my computer hasn't restarted since yesterday. So i think the issue did reside in my video card, but we will see after a day or so of keeping it running..

but if anyone else has any input it'd be appreciated
a c 371 $ Windows 7
January 11, 2011 9:42:52 PM

IS IT an ati card?
January 11, 2011 10:40:18 PM

nope. Nvidia 8800gtx

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2011 10:49:17 PM

What does Event Viewer say ?

Have you been monitoring temps ?

Download OCCT and run the tests, monitoring temperatures and voltages thru the 60 minute test .... graphs will appear at end .... if you make it thru.
January 11, 2011 11:13:22 PM

event viewer does indicate that my machine shut down multiple times throughout the day yesterday..and was viewed as critical errors. but the last random shutdown was before I took out my video card, and hasn't happened since which is good to see. So I think it is safe to say my video card was the issue. I DID find it at work, which we happen to be an electronic recycling company..so I suppose it ended up there for a reason. (but hey, I got a good use out of it for about a year, so it saved me money for awhile :)  ) and the LOUUUUD beeping noise it made after i shut down my computer a couple times probably also means that it was the issue..

So i'll download OCCT like you say and run the test..and looks like i'll probably be upgradin to a new v-card! woohoo. radeon 6850? :) 
January 11, 2011 11:16:51 PM

Best answer selected by chickenhoagie.
!