Windows XP Upgrade - Where's my floppy drive.

Since upgrading from Win ME my 3 1/2 floppy drive has
disappeared. It doesn't show in "My Computer" it is not
accessible fro MSWord and does not show in Explorer.
Device Manager gives the following message "Windows cannot
load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may
be corrupted or missing (Code 39)" It worked fine before
the upgrade. Any suggestions??
1 answer Last reply
More about windows upgrade where floppy drive

    "Alan" <albeynon@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
    > Since upgrading from Win ME my 3 1/2 floppy drive has
    > disappeared. It doesn't show in "My Computer" it is not
    > accessible fro MSWord and does not show in Explorer.
    > Device Manager gives the following message "Windows cannot
    > load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may
    > be corrupted or missing (Code 39)" It worked fine before
    > the upgrade. Any suggestions??

    Try the links below

    In Win XP Will not read floppy drives or diskettes.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282470

    Floppy will not format under Win XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060&Product=win2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060

    I think this is the 'current' hardware compatibility link for x86 and
    caution,
    if that's a new dell box, dell aint too good on following 'industry
    standard'
    PC clone rules. The biggest problems are usually in the video card
    and
    (you've learned this) scsi or ata disk controller. try at first:

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/

    Cause 1: This error can be caused if the Drive Image 2002 virtual
    floppy files have been compressed by Windows XP. (The "Disk Cleanup"
    feature in Windows XP has an option to compress files on NTFS
    partitions if those files have not been accessed for a specific amount
    of time.) When Drive Image reboots to true DOS mode to perform an
    imaging task, it is unable to find the virtual floppy files it needs
    to perform the task since DOS cannot access files that Windows XP has
    compressed.

Hardware Floppy Disk Windows XP