The DMA riddle

I've been searching for a solution for 2 weeks, and all I've found is more people with the same problem. I got a Seagate UDMA 66 hard disk on a PC Chips M598LMR mobo (SiS 530 chipset). I just can't make the drive operate on DMA mode; even with the option "DMA if available" enabled, it only works on PIO mode. Yes, I have the special UDMA cable, that came with the mainboard. ACPI is enabled in BIOS as well. Nor Sis or PC Chips have put an XP compatible IDE driver available in their sites. I tried to use the newest mini-IDE drivers for SiS 630, but XP didn't accept it. I also downloaded the pack of hotfixes and patches from MS, unsuccesfully. Can someone help me to solve this riddle? Thank you all and sorry for my english.

kawipoo

Try uninstalling your IDE controller in device manager and reboot.
"Glaucio" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been searching for a solution for 2 weeks, and all I've found is more
people with the same problem. I got a Seagate UDMA 66 hard disk on a PC
Chips M598LMR mobo (SiS 530 chipset). I just can't make the drive operate on
DMA mode; even with the option "DMA if available" enabled, it only works on
PIO mode. Yes, I have the special UDMA cable, that came with the mainboard.
ACPI is enabled in BIOS as well. Nor Sis or PC Chips have put an XP
compatible IDE driver available in their sites. I tried to use the newest
mini-IDE drivers for SiS 630, but XP didn't accept it. I also downloaded the
pack of hotfixes and patches from MS, unsuccesfully. Can someone help me to
solve this riddle? Thank you all and sorry for my english.

I've already tried to uninstall the ide drivers. I had already read the article, too. Do you think my motherboard can´t stand UDMA? I know PC Chips are the worst ones, but my HD is working on PIO mode at 3,9 Mb/s!! When I had WinMe in my PC, it reached more than 20 Mb/s.

Right click "My computer" select "manage" look at the log files to see what they list for errors. Time to upgrade?

--
Just my 2¢ worth
Jeff

"Glaucio" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DCC9A63-EBF3-47A1-AABB-DA56249CFB0F@microsoft.com...
| I've already tried to uninstall the ide drivers. I had already read the article, too. Do you think my motherboard can´t stand UDMA? I know PC Chips are the worst ones, but my HD is working on PIO mode at 3,9 Mb/s!! When I had WinMe in my PC, it reached more than 20 Mb/s.

It listed several disk errors (driver detected controller(driver?) errors - my o.s. is in portuguese, so perhaps the translation wasn't so correct). Up to 3 errors per second.

That is why it is dropping to PIO mode. That is what the article says happens when errors are detected.

Yes, it is probably time to replace the motherboard, or buy a new computer (or parts to build one) maybe.

You will never maintain DMA with contoller errors.

--
Just my 2¢ worth
Jeff