KV8-MAX3, blank screen, POST code 90???

I can't get my KV8-MAX3 to boot. It stops at POST code 90 and the monitor
remains black. Done all CMOS clearing steps, removed power cables, button
battery etc and have no ideas what to do next. Any ideas?

Recheck the heatsink mounting on the cpu. It sounds like it may not be
sitting properly on the cpu causing overheating.

"Jouni Väänänen" <jouni.vaananen@piuha.net> wrote in message
> I can't get my KV8-MAX3 to boot. It stops at POST code 90 and the monitor
> remains black. Done all CMOS clearing steps, removed power cables, button
> battery etc and have no ideas what to do next. Any ideas?

I connected the PC-speaker and it goes PII-PAA-PII-PAA-PII-PAA for a while
then stops. Sounds like some emergency vehicle?

"Jouni Väänänen" <jouni.vaananen@piuha.net> wrote in message
> I can't get my KV8-MAX3 to boot. It stops at POST code 90 and the monitor
> remains black. Done all CMOS clearing steps, removed power cables, button
> battery etc and have no ideas what to do next. Any ideas?

Stephen

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:54:53 +0300, "Jouni Väänänen"
<jouni.vaananen@piuha.net> tortured a bunch of electrons for some
unknown reason:

>I connected the PC-speaker and it goes PII-PAA-PII-PAA-PII-PAA for a while
>then stops. Sounds like some emergency vehicle?

That's the CPU overheat alarm.

Stephen

The cooler is Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu and I have dismounted and reinstalled it
again. It is sitting tightly on the processor and I cannot understand how it
could be better. Looked at installation video at Zalman web-pages and done
exactly as shown. Are those red leds supposed to be lighting (3 pieces under
OTES hood) all the time or are they a sign of something like power problems.
Since KV8-MAX3 needs an additional 12V power connection to usual
mb-connection I measured it and it was 12,3V so that should not be problem.

"RonK" <nothome@home.com> wrote in message
> Recheck the heatsink mounting on the cpu. It sounds like it may not be
> sitting properly on the cpu causing overheating.
>

> "Jouni Väänänen" <jouni.vaananen@piuha.net> wrote in message
> > I can't get my KV8-MAX3 to boot. It stops at POST code 90 and the
monitor
> > remains black. Done all CMOS clearing steps, removed power cables,
button
> > battery etc and have no ideas what to do next. Any ideas?

Are you able to see the bios on the monitor ?
If not, try a pci video card temporarily. Also make sure the cpu fan (3
wire) is connected to the cpu fan header.

> The cooler is Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu and I have dismounted and reinstalled
it
> again. It is sitting tightly on the processor and I cannot understand how
it
> could be better. Looked at installation video at Zalman web-pages and done
> exactly as shown. Are those red leds supposed to be lighting (3 pieces
under
> OTES hood) all the time or are they a sign of something like power
problems.
> Since KV8-MAX3 needs an additional 12V power connection to usual
> mb-connection I measured it and it was 12,3V so that should not be
problem.

> "RonK" <nothome@home.com> wrote in message
> > Recheck the heatsink mounting on the cpu. It sounds like it may not be
> > sitting properly on the cpu causing overheating.
> >

> > "Jouni Väänänen" <jouni.vaananen@piuha.net> wrote in message
> > > I can't get my KV8-MAX3 to boot. It stops at POST code 90 and the
> monitor
> > > remains black. Done all CMOS clearing steps, removed power cables,
> button
> > > battery etc and have no ideas what to do next. Any ideas?

No, I don't see anything from the monitor, it's totally black. But it is
working, I tested it with my labtop. Uh, don't know where to get pci video
card. I have 2 agp-cards, the other one tested and working so I don't think
it is the video card problem. The CPU fan header is connected the CPUFAN1
header and it is rotating ok.

> Are you able to see the bios on the monitor ?
> If not, try a pci video card temporarily. Also make sure the cpu fan (3
> wire) is connected to the cpu fan header.

It seems that the POST code is 9.0 and not 90 as I originally thought. I got
a response from ABIT that "The POST code 9.0 means that the uGuru is ready
and the BIOS takes over the
boot job. It seems to be the BIOS isn't doing anything." They will be
shipping a new BIOS chip to me to test with that.

I found in the manual that codes with decimal point are AC2003 POST Codes.
Don't know for sure what that is but I suspect it has something to do with
the uGuru.

I'll be back when I have tried the new BIOS.

> I can't get my KV8-MAX3 to boot. It stops at POST code 90 and the monitor
> remains black. Done all CMOS clearing steps, removed power cables, button
> battery etc and have no ideas what to do next. Any ideas?

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 17:21:12 GMT, Stephen
<stephen2002{NOSPAM}@lurker.homeip.net> wrote:

>>I connected the PC-speaker and it goes PII-PAA-PII-PAA-PII-PAA for a while
>>then stops. Sounds like some emergency vehicle?
>
>That's the CPU overheat alarm.

.... or the CPU fan alarm, which you cannot set to come on at anything
less than 2000 RPM, thus ruling out any of the quiet fan alternatives.

> >That's the CPU overheat alarm.
>
> ... or the CPU fan alarm, which you cannot set to come on at anything
> less than 2000 RPM, thus ruling out any of the quiet fan alternatives.

I've got the CNPS7000A-AlCu operating at normal mode and directly connected
to the CPUFAN1 header i.e. without that adjustable fan speed controller. The
rotating speed according to the spec is 2400 RPM +-10% so it should be ok.

This means that I cannot run it in Silent Mode which is 1350 RPM+-10%. But
may be we get BIOS update later that makes it possible. At least in my old
mb KT7A got this feature in a later release.

I just got the new BIOS but no change in situation. I will contact ABIT
again.

> It seems that the POST code is 9.0 and not 90 as I originally thought. I
got
> a response from ABIT that "The POST code 9.0 means that the uGuru is ready
> and the BIOS takes over the
> boot job. It seems to be the BIOS isn't doing anything." They will be
> shipping a new BIOS chip to me to test with that.
>
> I found in the manual that codes with decimal point are AC2003 POST Codes.
> Don't know for sure what that is but I suspect it has something to do with
> the uGuru.
>
> I'll be back when I have tried the new BIOS.
>
> > I can't get my KV8-MAX3 to boot. It stops at POST code 90 and the
monitor
> > remains black. Done all CMOS clearing steps, removed power cables,
button
> > battery etc and have no ideas what to do next. Any ideas?

heyzeus123

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
I am having the exact same problem with my ABIT AG8. NO BIOS Screen, post codes 83-89-90, then hangs on 90. :evil:

How did you finally fix the problem? Was it the mainboard, the CPU, or something else? :? I am about to RMA the mainboard and send it back, but wanted to check one more time before doing so. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks in advance,
Michael

TRENDING THREADS