Random Hangs

Hello,

I recently experienced a serious problem, in which my PC
would not boot when I powered it up, no beeps or display
or anything, just a black screen. I got around this by
replacing my AGP graphics card with a PCI one. However,
now, when I load windows, the computer just hangs at the
welcome scrren. Even in safe mode it only works for a
bit, then just hangs. I've tried everything I can think
of (including reinstalling windows) but nothing works.
Does anyone have any ideas?

My system is:
P4 2.8c
Abit IC7-G motherboard
512 Ram
120GB SATA HD

Thanks!

Matthew Walker
2 answers Last reply
More about random hangs

    /Matthew Walker/ said:

    > I recently experienced a serious problem, in which my PC
    > would not boot when I powered it up, no beeps or display
    > or anything, just a black screen. I got around this by
    > replacing my AGP graphics card with a PCI one. However,
    > now, when I load windows, the computer just hangs at the
    > welcome scrren. Even in safe mode it only works for a
    > bit, then just hangs. I've tried everything I can think
    > of (including reinstalling windows) but nothing works.
    > Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > My system is:
    > P4 2.8c
    > Abit IC7-G motherboard
    > 512 Ram
    > 120GB SATA HD

    Suggestions here may be of help...
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    --
    For most XP answers and tweaks...
    http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

    I had the same problem of winxp hanging this is what i did+++
    I put in my xp disk and ran it till I it came to screen install win or repair previos install
    I pressed (R) it goes to the *C prompt at c prompt I typed-- help-- scroll down to C: type --fixmbr itwill
    ask you to confirm press (Y) then enter at C: type fixboot confirm by (Y) then AT C: type this and make sure you leave spaces in this commaand C:\ chkdsk /p /r press enter this got me running and no problems since
    Mike

Windows XP