Question about Prescott

I was thinking of building a new system. I can get hold of a used mobo from
a friend that uses 533MHz FSB, and NorthBridge P4s. It should be able to run
a prescott cpu, right? I don't have name or detail of the mobo yet.

Secondly, i have a laptop with 2.8 GHz HT northwood, running on 800MHz FSB.
Can that system use a 3.2GHz prescott ? Is it worth it. i heard it runs a
bit too hot?

Thanks in advance

"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message...
>I was thinking of building a new system.
> I can get hold of a used mobo from a friend that uses 533MHz
> FSB, and NorthBridge P4s.

Don't you mean Northwood P4's?

> It should be able to run a prescott cpu, right?

Impossible to say. Some existing boards will run them, some won't. Slightly
a moot point anyway, as you don't want a Prescott at this point in time. If
you're going to overclock, you'd be far better off with a Northwood 2.4C,
2.6C or 2.8C, along with a nice 865/875 based board and some fast memory.

> Secondly, i have a laptop with 2.8 GHz HT northwood, running
> on 800MHz FSB. Can that system use a 3.2GHz prescott ?

Again, impossible to say, and, in any case, why on earth would you want to?
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:14:37 +0100, "Richard Hopkins"
<richh@dsl.popex.co.uk> wrote:

>"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message...
>>I was thinking of building a new system.
>> I can get hold of a used mobo from a friend that uses 533MHz
>> FSB, and NorthBridge P4s.
>
>Don't you mean Northwood P4's?
>
>> It should be able to run a prescott cpu, right?
>
>Impossible to say. Some existing boards will run them, some won't. Slightly
>a moot point anyway, as you don't want a Prescott at this point in time. If
>you're going to overclock, you'd be far better off with a Northwood 2.4C,
>2.6C or 2.8C, along with a nice 865/875 based board and some fast memory.
>
>> Secondly, i have a laptop with 2.8 GHz HT northwood, running
>> on 800MHz FSB. Can that system use a 3.2GHz prescott ?
>
>Again, impossible to say, and, in any case, why on earth would you want to?

I agree 100%, Richard.

Plus, some of the Northwood boards that do run the Prescott, will run
hot if you have the Prescott on them.

If spending MY hard earned money, I would go for the Northwood
processor.

Well.. I'm going for a low-noise/lowcost Athlon2500+/2000+ for next build.

I was just wondering about my laptop mainly.

It's running sis648 chipset, and 2.8G Northwood, so I might want to upgrade
it to 4GHz prescott when come out. But I guess i should not, since laptop is
going to be mostly in my lap, and i don't wanna get burn marks or anything..
:) No performance gain can make me endanger my manhood! ;)

I guess upgrading from PC2100 DDR SOdimm to PC2700 might be more worth it?