Question about Prescott

I was thinking of building a new system. I can get hold of a used mobo from
a friend that uses 533MHz FSB, and NorthBridge P4s. It should be able to run
a prescott cpu, right? I don't have name or detail of the mobo yet.

Secondly, i have a laptop with 2.8 GHz HT northwood, running on 800MHz FSB.
Can that system use a 3.2GHz prescott ? Is it worth it. i heard it runs a
bit too hot?

Thanks in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about question prescott

    "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message...
    >I was thinking of building a new system.
    > I can get hold of a used mobo from a friend that uses 533MHz
    > FSB, and NorthBridge P4s.

    Don't you mean Northwood P4's?

    > It should be able to run a prescott cpu, right?

    Impossible to say. Some existing boards will run them, some won't. Slightly
    a moot point anyway, as you don't want a Prescott at this point in time. If
    you're going to overclock, you'd be far better off with a Northwood 2.4C,
    2.6C or 2.8C, along with a nice 865/875 based board and some fast memory.

    > Secondly, i have a laptop with 2.8 GHz HT northwood, running
    > on 800MHz FSB. Can that system use a 3.2GHz prescott ?

    Again, impossible to say, and, in any case, why on earth would you want to?
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:14:37 +0100, "Richard Hopkins"
    <richh@dsl.popex.co.uk> wrote:

    >"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message...
    >>I was thinking of building a new system.
    >> I can get hold of a used mobo from a friend that uses 533MHz
    >> FSB, and NorthBridge P4s.
    >
    >Don't you mean Northwood P4's?
    >
    >> It should be able to run a prescott cpu, right?
    >
    >Impossible to say. Some existing boards will run them, some won't. Slightly
    >a moot point anyway, as you don't want a Prescott at this point in time. If
    >you're going to overclock, you'd be far better off with a Northwood 2.4C,
    >2.6C or 2.8C, along with a nice 865/875 based board and some fast memory.
    >
    >> Secondly, i have a laptop with 2.8 GHz HT northwood, running
    >> on 800MHz FSB. Can that system use a 3.2GHz prescott ?
    >
    >Again, impossible to say, and, in any case, why on earth would you want to?

    I agree 100%, Richard.

    Plus, some of the Northwood boards that do run the Prescott, will run
    hot if you have the Prescott on them.

    If spending MY hard earned money, I would go for the Northwood
    processor.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Well.. I'm going for a low-noise/lowcost Athlon2500+/2000+ for next build.

    I was just wondering about my laptop mainly.

    It's running sis648 chipset, and 2.8G Northwood, so I might want to upgrade
    it to 4GHz prescott when come out. But I guess i should not, since laptop is
    going to be mostly in my lap, and i don't wanna get burn marks or anything..
    :) No performance gain can make me endanger my manhood! ;)

    I guess upgrading from PC2100 DDR SOdimm to PC2700 might be more worth it?

    "Daniel L. Belton" <abuse@spam.gov> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:14:37 +0100, "Richard Hopkins"
    > <richh@dsl.popex.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message...
    > >>I was thinking of building a new system.
    > >> I can get hold of a used mobo from a friend that uses 533MHz
    > >> FSB, and NorthBridge P4s.
    > >
    > >Don't you mean Northwood P4's?
    > >
    > >> It should be able to run a prescott cpu, right?
    > >
    > >Impossible to say. Some existing boards will run them, some won't.
    Slightly
    > >a moot point anyway, as you don't want a Prescott at this point in time.
    If
    > >you're going to overclock, you'd be far better off with a Northwood 2.4C,
    > >2.6C or 2.8C, along with a nice 865/875 based board and some fast memory.
    > >
    > >> Secondly, i have a laptop with 2.8 GHz HT northwood, running
    > >> on 800MHz FSB. Can that system use a 3.2GHz prescott ?
    > >
    > >Again, impossible to say, and, in any case, why on earth would you want
    to?

    > I agree 100%, Richard.
    >
    > Plus, some of the Northwood boards that do run the Prescott, will run
    > hot if you have the Prescott on them.
    >
    > If spending MY hard earned money, I would go for the Northwood
    > processor.

Motherboards