Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Decided to treat myself to a top range system. But only one small and
annoying snag :(
It will run a 3D screensaver for about 1-4 minutes before freezing
solid! It does not freeze in normal operation.

The system is:-

MSI K7N2 Delta - ILSR Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP3200+ and AMD Fan (Retail Pack)
2 GB DDR Ram
2 x Serial ATA Hard Drives
GeForce FX5600 XT 256MB Graphics Card

Running XP Pro
Service Pack 1
DX 9.0
Updated Drivers for GeForce

Tried other graphics cards and it still does it! Nothing in the Event
Viewer either. Just can't figure it out.
Wondered what you clever guys thought.

TIA Jack

A bad screensaver program, try another.

"jack" <jack123@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
| Decided to treat myself to a top range system. But only
one small and
| annoying snag :(
| It will run a 3D screensaver for about 1-4 minutes before
freezing
| solid! It does not freeze in normal operation.
|
| The system is:-
|
| MSI K7N2 Delta - ILSR Motherboard
| AMD Athlon XP3200+ and AMD Fan (Retail Pack)
| 2 GB DDR Ram
| 2 x Serial ATA Hard Drives
| GeForce FX5600 XT 256MB Graphics Card
|
| Running XP Pro
| Service Pack 1
| DX 9.0
| Updated Drivers for GeForce
|
| Tried other graphics cards and it still does it! Nothing
in the Event
| Viewer either. Just can't figure it out.
| Wondered what you clever guys thought.
|
| TIA Jack

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 06:21:48 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

>A bad screensaver program, try another.

I have. It's any 3D screensaver.

What other programs and services run when the screensaver
comes on? I remember that a version 4 or 5 McAfee virus
scan would start scanning whenever their screensaver was
running [McAfee supplied some screensavewrs]. There could
be some "priority" conflict as well as the obvious graphics
card problem.
You might try opening the task manager and tuning a lot off
and then see if the screensaver will run. Turn things back
on one at a time until you find the one or a combination
that is causing the problem,.

| On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 06:21:48 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
| <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
|
| >A bad screensaver program, try another.
|
| I have. It's any 3D screensaver.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

I've disabled everything in Services and Start Up, and it still does
it! Now I'm at a total loss.....

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 08:45:07 -0500, "Jim Macklin"