Help Pleeeeeze

Decided to treat myself to a top range system. But only one small and
annoying snag :(
It will run a 3D screensaver for about 1-4 minutes before freezing
solid! It does not freeze in normal operation.

The system is:-

MSI K7N2 Delta - ILSR Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP3200+ and AMD Fan (Retail Pack)
2 GB DDR Ram
2 x Serial ATA Hard Drives
GeForce FX5600 XT 256MB Graphics Card

Running XP Pro
Service Pack 1
DX 9.0
Updated Drivers for GeForce

Tried other graphics cards and it still does it! Nothing in the Event
Viewer either. Just can't figure it out.
Wondered what you clever guys thought.

TIA Jack
4 answers Last reply
More about help pleeeeeze

    A bad screensaver program, try another.

    "jack" <jack123@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    | Decided to treat myself to a top range system. But only
    one small and
    | annoying snag :(
    | It will run a 3D screensaver for about 1-4 minutes before
    freezing
    | solid! It does not freeze in normal operation.
    |
    | The system is:-
    |
    | MSI K7N2 Delta - ILSR Motherboard
    | AMD Athlon XP3200+ and AMD Fan (Retail Pack)
    | 2 GB DDR Ram
    | 2 x Serial ATA Hard Drives
    | GeForce FX5600 XT 256MB Graphics Card
    |
    | Running XP Pro
    | Service Pack 1
    | DX 9.0
    | Updated Drivers for GeForce
    |
    | Tried other graphics cards and it still does it! Nothing
    in the Event
    | Viewer either. Just can't figure it out.
    | Wondered what you clever guys thought.
    |
    | TIA Jack

    On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 06:21:48 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >A bad screensaver program, try another.

    I have. It's any 3D screensaver.

    What other programs and services run when the screensaver
    comes on? I remember that a version 4 or 5 McAfee virus
    scan would start scanning whenever their screensaver was
    running [McAfee supplied some screensavewrs]. There could
    be some "priority" conflict as well as the obvious graphics
    card problem.
    You might try opening the task manager and tuning a lot off
    and then see if the screensaver will run. Turn things back
    on one at a time until you find the one or a combination
    that is causing the problem,.

    | On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 06:21:48 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    | <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    |
    | >A bad screensaver program, try another.
    |
    | I have. It's any 3D screensaver.

    I've disabled everything in Services and Start Up, and it still does
    it! Now I'm at a total loss.....

    On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 08:45:07 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >What other programs and services run when the screensaver
    >comes on? I remember that a version 4 or 5 McAfee virus
    >scan would start scanning whenever their screensaver was
    >running [McAfee supplied some screensavewrs]. There could
    >be some "priority" conflict as well as the obvious graphics
    >card problem.
    >You might try opening the task manager and tuning a lot off
    >and then see if the screensaver will run. Turn things back
    >on one at a time until you find the one or a combination
    >that is causing the problem,.

Windows XP