Kv8 Max3 Info

I am thinking of upgrading my system to a KV8 Max3 board , how stable are
these boards and I have read that the SLK 948u heatsink will not fit because
of the OTES cooling is in the way.

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Good question, I have bought the other day and it ROCKS!!!
It is stable and the onboard, well everything is top notch.
the secure ide is brill, plug a key in else your puter wont boot.

If i had the choice to take it back, i wouldn't. Ive got a 3000 64
and its streets ahead of my 2400 XP. The best thing is you can
run 266, 333 or 400 ddr memory and you dont need ECC.
therefore you dont need to upgrade your puter all at once. just
as mobo and processor will do.

The fan EQ feature is nothing but brill, altering fan speeds on the
fly according to temp. Its just top notch. Its not as quick as some
mobo's you can get, but on the whole its TOPS!!!!!
6 x SATA slots 8 x USB slots 3 x FIREWIRE slots gigabite lan
what more could you want??????

P.S. Get a decent power supply though. 350W+

regards
Homer

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:29:45 -0500, Miller1236 wrote:

>I am thinking of upgrading my system to a KV8 Max3 board , how stable are
>these boards and I have read that the SLK 948u heatsink will not fit because
>of the OTES cooling is in the way.

As you say, the OTES system gets in the way or heatsinks, but it is
quite unnecessary. It draws warm air from the processor over the PSU
components. Just take it off (so long as you have decent fans around
the place). A few small heatsinks on the components would have been
far more effective.

In my opinion this board is not well designed or made. It frequently
gives POST errors which are not in the list of errors in the manual or
on the web site. The motherboard monitoring system is proprietary and
secret, so you can't use any front end but theirs, and that means you
can't use alternative heatsinks or fans unless you give up on all
monitoring. The space taken up by the OTES fan means there is no
serial or parallel port, so if you have an old pringer you'll have to
shell out more for USB to parallel converter.

I was trying to build a quiet system, but this board is clearly
intended for overclockers who are are only interested in tweaking and
who don't mind noise.