Which VIA chipset used for Abit KG7 motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 4, 2004 3:11:40 PM

Hi. I have an unstable PC. The nvidia graphics card keeps taking it
down, and I suspect that this is due to a missing KG7 update. Can
anyone inform me which VIA chipset is used for this motherboard, and
possibly where to obtain a driver (Win XP SP1).

Thanks in advance,

Morten
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 9:30:45 PM

Morten wrote:
> Hi. I have an unstable PC. The nvidia graphics card keeps taking it
> down, and I suspect that this is due to a missing KG7 update. Can
> anyone inform me which VIA chipset is used for this motherboard, and
> possibly where to obtain a driver (Win XP SP1).

Seems to me ( dim recall ) I saw a Reg 'hack' to cure this "feature"
posted on the nvid NG ... yr= `2000 +\-
never bothered to save&file it ... mine's an Ati vid board.

Try a Google_Group, on the nvid NG, for a ref to the hack ????

Yes ... the chipset is a hybrid ... ;_(

XP aughta have a 'driver' ...
else ... on the nvid CD
???

Qed.
April 5, 2004 1:36:13 AM

"Morten" <usenet@kikobu.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I have an unstable PC. The nvidia graphics card keeps taking it
> down, and I suspect that this is due to a missing KG7 update. Can
> anyone inform me which VIA chipset is used for this motherboard, and
> possibly where to obtain a driver (Win XP SP1).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Morten

have you tried checking ABITS website, they have specs, manuals, bios,
drivers for all their motherboards.

http://fae.abit.com.tw
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2004 1:58:53 AM

"Morten" <usenet@kikobu.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I have an unstable PC. The nvidia graphics card keeps taking it
> down, and I suspect that this is due to a missing KG7 update. Can
> anyone inform me which VIA chipset is used for this motherboard, and
> possibly where to obtain a driver (Win XP SP1).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Morten

This is a hybrid board using an AMD northbridge and VIA southbridge.
April 10, 2004 10:53:42 PM

To gain stability on the KG7 running 5W or 68 or 8S (and most likely 9M)
bios with an XP CPU, try the following:

One suggestion for bios settings is to set the CPU Slew rate to 6 or 7 under
Advanced Chipset Features, Chipset Driving Control, Control CPU P/N.

Another bios setting suggestion from Abit is to change the Control CPU P/N
Value (there are three settings in this area of the bios) to "4" "04" "0D"
in the same area of the bios. You may want to run Memtest again after all
of the above and see if you can set the DDR voltage back to default,
assuming you had to raise it to begin with.

Get a copy of Memtest (available on my server at the address below under
/Utilities) and test your memory. If you get memory errors, you may need to
raise the DDR voltage to 2.70 or 2.75 volts.

Finally, if all else fails, try running 5E bios. Even if you have an XP
2000+ your cpu will still run at rated speed because the multiplier is
locked in the cpu so as long as the FSB is at the correct speed for your
cpu, the system will run at rated speed.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com