XP Pro locks up on Boot, but is ok after Reset button

Really wierd situation.

When I first boot the system, when it gets to the User Login screen..
the keyboard + mouse are fully locked up. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't even
work.

If I press the "reset" button, when it gets to the User Login screen..
the system works as it should.

While in Windows, if I do a "Shutdown and Restart".. same symptoms as
first booting the system.

Details:
- - - - -

When I first installed XP Pro, when the installation rebooted to
continue installation and it hit the first screen requesting User
input.. the keyboard and mouse were frozen. Ctrl-Alt-Del wouldn't
even restart it.

Tagging the Reset button, the system continued to load up Windows XP.
It never went back to the screen I had previously seen.

I figured maybe it didn't need that info, so I continued on. I then
updated latest motherboard drivers, flashed the bios, updated the
latest video drivers and then did a full "Windows Update" via internet
until the system was fully updated.

I have discovered articles of the past that talk about Windows XP
locking up (about 2 years ago), but they were supposedly "fixed" with
a Windows Update patch.

Now, when I first power on the system and it gets to the User Login
screen.. the system locks up (keyboard + mouse). Tagging the Reset
button, when it loads up to the User Login screen it works.

If I'm in Windows, and do a Shutdown and Restart.. when it gets to the
User Login screen.. the system locks up (keyboard + mouse). Tagging
the Reset button, when it loads up to the User Login screen it works.

System Information:
- - - - - - - - - -
Motherboard: ABIT KV8-MAX3 (new)
Web link on details:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=150

CPU: AMD 64 3200 (was a returned item)
Memory: (2) Corsair PC3200 DDR 400 512k (new)
Video card: RADEON 9800 Pro (new)
Power Supply: 400w (new)

What I would like to know how to fix is how to keep the system from
locking up on power up or restarts of the OS.

Could it be the motherboard causing this, could it be a bad CPU?

After posting to a few forums, a technician recommended replacing the
keyboard and mouse.

I replaced the keyboard with a brand new one and it worked. Lock ups
stopped.

To confirm the theory, I placed the old keyboard back on the system
and it started to lock up again at previous locations.

Never would have thought in a 1000 years that the keyboard was the
culpurate.

Posting this incase it helps anyone else.

Cider123 wrote:
> After posting to a few forums, a technician recommended replacing the
> keyboard and mouse.
>
> I replaced the keyboard with a brand new one and it worked. Lock ups
> stopped.
>
> To confirm the theory, I placed the old keyboard back on the system
> and it started to lock up again at previous locations.
>
> Never would have thought in a 1000 years that the keyboard was the
> culpurate.
>
> Posting this incase it helps anyone else.

It used to be quite common. Increasing component reliability has
reduced the incidence of keyboard failure so that when it happens, no
one is aware of the possibility.