P4 2.4A Prescott on BH7????

"nik&zax" <nik&zax@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:c4poee$1ef$1@ls219.htnet.hr...
> So...???
>
> Will it work????

Why would you want it to? You'd be better off with a Northwood.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:57:54 +0100, "Richard Hopkins"
<richh@dsl.popex.co.uk> wrote:

>"nik&zax" <nik&zax@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> So...???
>>
>> Will it work????
>
>Why would you want it to? You'd be better off with a Northwood.
>--

Agreed ! Cooler --- will overclock much better
and the deeper pipeline and cache of the Prescott
does not compensate. See Anandtech and Tom's
Hardware for comparisons between the current-gen
Prescott and Northwood.

John Lewis

>Richard Hopkins
>Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
>(replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
>
>The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
>Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com

I'll reinforce Richard's and John's advice - Prescott isn't ready for prime
time. Go Northwood for now.
--
Tally Ho!
Ed,

"Ed Forsythe" <EdForsythe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'll reinforce Richard's and John's advice - Prescott isn't ready for
prime
> time. Go Northwood for now.
> --

I know all that, but....

2.4A Prescott is cheapest P4 at moment here in Croatia...

2.4B FSB-533 is almost impossible to find!!!

Next one is 2.6C which is something like 66 USD / 52 Euros more
expensive!!!!

I just looking for some cheap replacement for my old 1.6A@2.4 and my budget
is little bit limited!!

And I was hoping for 3.0 GHz overclock, and 2.4A is that one, at least by
most web sites and forums!

If your budget is limited you might consider an AMD setup (personally,
I wouldn't as I'm a diehard Intel user). I've heard that the 2.6c and the
2.4c overclock really well. I'm using a 3.0c at 3.3 (I'm limited by my giel
memory, as it likes alot of voltage and the ic7-g only lets me give it 2.8
(which with my power supply is actually 2.65) and it's running at cas 2.5).
If you do decide to go with AMD do your homework before getting the 64bit
processor. The AMD 64 version of xp is, from what I've heard, not ready for
primetime and even with a 64 bit operating system, I don't know of any 64
bit games yet. If money were no object and you weren't looking for a gaming
system the best choice IMO would be an Itanium2 (or a pair of them) running
64-bit xp (the itanium version) and at least 2 1gb ecc memory sticks running
duel channel. Sorry, I was dreaming again...Just ignore that last bit.

(-: Firefox :)

"FireFox" <firefox11@charter.net> wrote in message
> If your budget is limited you might consider an AMD setup
(personally,
> I wouldn't as I'm a diehard Intel user). I've heard that the 2.6c and the
> 2.4c overclock really well. I'm using a 3.0c at 3.3 (I'm limited by my
giel
> memory, as it likes alot of voltage and the ic7-g only lets me give it 2.8
> (which with my power supply is actually 2.65) and it's running at cas
2.5).
> If you do decide to go with AMD do your homework before getting the 64bit
> processor. The AMD 64 version of xp is, from what I've heard, not ready
for
> primetime and even with a 64 bit operating system, I don't know of any 64
> bit games yet. If money were no object and you weren't looking for a
gaming
> system the best choice IMO would be an Itanium2 (or a pair of them)
running
> 64-bit xp (the itanium version) and at least 2 1gb ecc memory sticks
running
> duel channel. Sorry, I was dreaming again...Just ignore that last bit.
>
> (-: Firefox :)

But, I would like to stay on Intel on this rig. I'm very satisfied with BH7,
and I wouldn't like to switch to AMD. My second rig is AMD.

I don't want to go with AMD64, for reasons you stated above!

I just want to get some replacement for my 1.6A Northwood, and 2.4B or 2.4A
Prescott is in my price range... since 2.4B is so hard to find in my
country, I asked here can I run Prescott on BH7....

I think I going to stay on 1.6A@2.4....

Thanks!

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 08:58:36 +0200, "nik&zax \(work\)"
<nik&zax_makni_@softhome.net> wrote:

>"Ed Forsythe" <EdForsythe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'll reinforce Richard's and John's advice - Prescott isn't ready for
>prime
>> time. Go Northwood for now.
>> --
>
>I know all that, but....
>

>2.4A Prescott is cheapest P4 at moment here in Croatia...
>
>2.4B FSB-533 is almost impossible to find!!!
>

>Next one is 2.6C which is something like 66 USD / 52 Euros more
>expensive!!!!
>

>I just looking for some cheap replacement for my old 1.6A@2.4 and my budget
>is little bit limited!!
>
>And I was hoping for 3.0 GHz overclock, and 2.4A is that one, at least by
>most web sites and forums!

You would be very lucky to get a 3.0GHz overclock without burning up
your motherboard with the Prescott. The boards designed for the
Northwood that will run a Prescott end up running hotter with the
Prescott installed.

I agree. My friend oc'ed an 2.4 prescott to 3.0 for 4-5 hours, mistake he
made was to use northwood cooler on it. After some testing, the cooler went
VERY hot, there were marks on the contact surface. Also the socket was very
hot to touch.

Intel might persuade manufacturers to make cpu sockets in CERAMIC, and not
plastic for prescot cpus. They might melt dude! ...

"Daniel L. Belton" <abuse@spam.gov> wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 08:58:36 +0200, "nik&zax \(work\)"
> <nik&zax_makni_@softhome.net> wrote:
>

> >"Ed Forsythe" <EdForsythe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I'll reinforce Richard's and John's advice - Prescott isn't ready for
> >prime
> >> time. Go Northwood for now.
> >> --
> >
> >I know all that, but....
> >

> >2.4A Prescott is cheapest P4 at moment here in Croatia...
> >
> >2.4B FSB-533 is almost impossible to find!!!
> >

> >Next one is 2.6C which is something like 66 USD / 52 Euros more
> >expensive!!!!
> >

> >I just looking for some cheap replacement for my old 1.6A@2.4 and my
budget
> >is little bit limited!!
> >
> >And I was hoping for 3.0 GHz overclock, and 2.4A is that one, at least by
> >most web sites and forums!
> >

> You would be very lucky to get a 3.0GHz overclock without burning up
> your motherboard with the Prescott. The boards designed for the
> Northwood that will run a Prescott end up running hotter with the
> Prescott installed.

Why would anyone use a Northwood HSF on a Prescott?? I just bought a
Northwood 2.8C but had I read HardOCP article first I may have given the
Prescott another look (just a look I'd probably would have stuck with the NW
<G>). That 2.4A Prescott has *legs*! 3.3G on retail air and 3.7G on
unchilled water ain't bad for a $150 CPU. Could you be looking at 3.9G+ on
a VapoChill system?? The 2.4A isn't for everyone but for those *extreme*
OCers out there it may be just the thing - Just MHO ;-)
--
Tally Ho!
Ed,

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.popex.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Ed Forsythe" wrote in message...
> > Why would anyone use a Northwood HSF on a Prescott??
>
> Latent pyromania presumably.

Or just that my friend is still in learning phase of computer hardware.. And
so he learned his lesson the hot .. ehm the Hard way..

> For benchmark obsessed geeks, maybe. For the folk who actually do things
> with their PC's, Northwood-C's remain the best option available from
Intel.

Or maybe for single people living in dorms who can't have both pc, a stove
and heater in small space. SO fitting a prescott with frying-pan like
heatsink, and OC it to 3.9G, maybe enables them to actually enjoy a warm
meal ?! :)