Abit VA-10 comment

I would like to advise anyone considering this board (or any, for that
matter) to examine the position of the CPU socket in relation to the edges
of the board.

The CPU socket in my VA-10 is near the edge of the board next the power
supply. I had difficulty installing the CPU cooler, because there was only
about 1/2-inch clearance between the socket and the power supply.

Later, I felt my CPU temperature was a little high, so I bought another with
copper fins, which was little larger.

The clearance between the fan and the power supply turned out to be
zero, and I had to remove the power supply to install the cooler. Then,
since there wasn't room between the cooler and the top of my mid-tower case
to re-install the power supply, I had to remove the top of the case, which
isn't that easy.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I feel it is a stupid design error for
any motherboard manufacturer to put a CPU socket close to the edge of the
board.

PS: Can someone explain to me why on page 1-1 in the "Features and
Specifications" the VA-10 manual says "Supports AMD Athlon XP Socket A
Processors with 333/266 Front Side Bus" (not mentioning Pentium), then on
page 2-3 it shows how to install a Pentium 4 CPU???? Is a Pentium 4
equivalent to an Athlon?
4 answers Last reply
More about abit comment

    "Ken_B" <@> wrote in message news:1071oucq2qinn01@corp.supernews.com...
    > I would like to advise anyone considering this board (or any, for that
    > matter) to examine the position of the CPU socket in relation to the edges
    > of the board.
    >
    > The CPU socket in my VA-10 is near the edge of the board next the power
    > supply. I had difficulty installing the CPU cooler, because there was only
    > about 1/2-inch clearance between the socket and the power supply.

    > Later, I felt my CPU temperature was a little high, so I bought another
    with
    > copper fins, which was little larger.
    >
    > The clearance between the fan and the power supply turned out to be
    > zero, and I had to remove the power supply to install the cooler. Then,
    > since there wasn't room between the cooler and the top of my mid-tower
    case
    > to re-install the power supply, I had to remove the top of the case, which
    > isn't that easy.
    >
    > Anyway, to make a long story short, I feel it is a stupid design error for
    > any motherboard manufacturer to put a CPU socket close to the edge of the
    > board.
    >
    > PS: Can someone explain to me why on page 1-1 in the "Features and
    > Specifications" the VA-10 manual says "Supports AMD Athlon XP Socket A
    > Processors with 333/266 Front Side Bus" (not mentioning Pentium), then on
    > page 2-3 it shows how to install a Pentium 4 CPU???? Is a Pentium 4
    > equivalent to an Athlon?

    I have this board also. You have to realise this board is a micro ATX board
    and as such is best suited and designed for a mATX case in which situation
    and design the power supply would be orientated slightly differently in
    relation to the CPU socket and not sit tightly against the top of it as it
    does when you use the board in a tower case. I however do use the board in a
    very cramped tower case and though it's a pain to fit *any* cooler while the
    power supply is fitted, the space is still sufficient IMO to not be of major
    concern once fitted. The major annoyance is being able to get a screw driver
    on the clip and provide the right angle to be able to fasten it which is
    easier to do without the power supply in place.

    You don't say exactly what HSF combination you are using? I have used both
    the standard AMD supplied HSF with 2500+ Barton which is not exactly small,
    and I currently use a Spire Whisper Rock IV which is quite a large heatsink
    with an 80mm fan. It sound like you are a making very poor choices when it
    comes to the HSF you're using. Buying something best suited to overclocking
    is overkill for this board since it has no overclocking features and buying
    a HSF merely based on the fact it's large and has copper fins is no
    guarantee it's going to be a good design and efficient at cooling.

    I would rethink what HSF you use and perhaps try A Spire Whisper Rock IV,
    it's a good design that cools a bit better than the standard AMD HSF and is
    substantially quieter. If the cooling is not sufficient then you could
    always put a higher powered (noisier fan) on it.

    It's a good board IMO but I wish ABIT would have provided a few more
    tweaking features in the bios.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    When I first go the board I bought a Spire BFA07B2 MicroFlow II at a local
    computer store. It has only about a 1/4-inch clearance from the power
    supply, which is a dual-fan design.

    According to the Abit Hardware Doctor the CPU ran around 54-55 degrees C
    after being on a while, which I thought was a little high.

    Figuring cooler=better, I bought a Silent Boost cooler, which has copper
    fins....but it wouldn't fit - bumped right against the PS fan grill.

    I was not aware this type board required a different type of case. As far as
    mounting screws, etc. if fits perfectly in my old case, after installing the
    I/O plate (whatever the hell it's called) that came with the m-board on the
    back of the case.

    I've been thinking of getting a new case, so I'll look at an mATX, as you
    suggest.

    This is my first board of this type (Was running a BX133), so it's a
    learning experience.

    Thanks.

    "JM" <none_given@none.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    heatsink
    > with an 80mm fan. It sound like you are a making very poor choices when it
    > comes to the HSF you're using. Buying something best suited to
    overclocking
    > is overkill for this board since it has no overclocking features and
    buying
    > a HSF merely based on the fact it's large and has copper fins is no
    > guarantee it's going to be a good design and efficient at cooling.
    >
    > I would rethink what HSF you use and perhaps try A Spire Whisper Rock IV,
    > it's a good design that cools a bit better than the standard AMD HSF and
    is
    > substantially quieter. If the cooling is not sufficient then you could
    > always put a higher powered (noisier fan) on it.
    >
    > It's a good board IMO but I wish ABIT would have provided a few more

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Ken_B" <@> wrote in message news:10753gup66eflb5@corp.supernews.com...
    > When I first go the board I bought a Spire BFA07B2 MicroFlow II at a local
    > computer store. It has only about a 1/4-inch clearance from the power
    > supply, which is a dual-fan design.
    >
    > According to the Abit Hardware Doctor the CPU ran around 54-55 degrees C
    > after being on a while, which I thought was a little high.

    Yeah that's a little on the high side but after using my CPU and fan
    combinations on two other boards I suspect the Abit VA-10 is reading a
    little on the high side by about 4C . Anyway it's nothing to be concerned
    about.

    > Figuring cooler=better, I bought a Silent Boost cooler, which has copper
    > fins....but it wouldn't fit - bumped right against the PS fan grill.
    >
    > I was not aware this type board required a different type of case. As far
    as
    > mounting screws, etc. if fits perfectly in my old case, after installing
    the
    > I/O plate (whatever the hell it's called) that came with the m-board on
    the
    > back of the case.

    It's not so much that it 'requires' a different case but that being a mATX
    board there is specific cases built to suit them. With a desktop mATX case
    the power supply would usually be situated slightly differently in relation
    to the CPU as it does in a tower case. Also the power supplies are often
    physically smaller. As you've found out mATX boards do fit in towers fine
    with all the Hex stand offs matching mounting holes but because of the
    limitation of mATX board size the CPU socket is often very close to top edge
    of board. If you have a look at all the different branded socket A mATX
    boards you'll find the CPU socket doesn't vary it's position much amongst
    them, although there is one or two brands that orientated the socket so the
    retaining clip fasten side to side of board rather than top and bottom as
    the ABIT does.

    > I've been thinking of getting a new case, so I'll look at an mATX, as you
    > suggest.

    There is some nice mATX cases but they are gennerally more expensive to buy
    than towers so look at the designs and quality very carefully before you
    part with money.

    > This is my first board of this type (Was running a BX133), so it's a
    > learning experience.

    I've run a few over the years and I've developed a bit of a soft spot for
    them. They're very good value especially if you're not a game player and the
    onboard graphics suffice for your needs.

> [...]
    > > with an 80mm fan. It sound like you are a making very poor choices when
    it
    > > comes to the HSF you're using. Buying something best suited to
    > overclocking
    > > is overkill for this board since it has no overclocking features and
    > buying
    > > a HSF merely based on the fact it's large and has copper fins is no
    > > guarantee it's going to be a good design and efficient at cooling.
    > >
    > > I would rethink what HSF you use and perhaps try A Spire Whisper Rock
    IV,
    > > it's a good design that cools a bit better than the standard AMD HSF and
    > is
    > > substantially quieter. If the cooling is not sufficient then you could
    > > always put a higher powered (noisier fan) on it.
    > >
    > > It's a good board IMO but I wish ABIT would have provided a few more

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    My favorite feature of the BX133 was the ability to have as many as eight
    IDE drives. I usually had two HD's and two CD's, all set as masters.

    Thanks for all the advice.

    Ken

> [...]
    when
    > it
    > > > comes to the HSF you're using. Buying something best suited to
    > > overclocking
    > > > is overkill for this board since it has no overclocking features and
    > > buying
    > > > a HSF merely based on the fact it's large and has copper fins is no
    > > > guarantee it's going to be a good design and efficient at cooling.
    > > >
    > > > I would rethink what HSF you use and perhaps try A Spire Whisper Rock
    > IV,
    > > > it's a good design that cools a bit better than the standard AMD HSF
    and
    > > is
    > > > substantially quieter. If the cooling is not sufficient then you could
    > > > always put a higher powered (noisier fan) on it.
    > > >
    > > > It's a good board IMO but I wish ABIT would have provided a few more

Power Supplies CPUs Socket Motherboards