Abit VA-10 comment

I would like to advise anyone considering this board (or any, for that
matter) to examine the position of the CPU socket in relation to the edges
of the board.

The CPU socket in my VA-10 is near the edge of the board next the power
supply. I had difficulty installing the CPU cooler, because there was only
about 1/2-inch clearance between the socket and the power supply.

Later, I felt my CPU temperature was a little high, so I bought another with
copper fins, which was little larger.

The clearance between the fan and the power supply turned out to be
zero, and I had to remove the power supply to install the cooler. Then,
since there wasn't room between the cooler and the top of my mid-tower case
to re-install the power supply, I had to remove the top of the case, which
isn't that easy.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I feel it is a stupid design error for
any motherboard manufacturer to put a CPU socket close to the edge of the
board.

PS: Can someone explain to me why on page 1-1 in the "Features and
Specifications" the VA-10 manual says "Supports AMD Athlon XP Socket A
Processors with 333/266 Front Side Bus" (not mentioning Pentium), then on
page 2-3 it shows how to install a Pentium 4 CPU???? Is a Pentium 4
equivalent to an Athlon?

JM

"Ken_B" <@> wrote in message news:1071oucq2qinn01@corp.supernews.com...
> I would like to advise anyone considering this board (or any, for that
> matter) to examine the position of the CPU socket in relation to the edges
> of the board.
>
> The CPU socket in my VA-10 is near the edge of the board next the power
> supply. I had difficulty installing the CPU cooler, because there was only
> about 1/2-inch clearance between the socket and the power supply.

> Later, I felt my CPU temperature was a little high, so I bought another
with
> copper fins, which was little larger.
>
> The clearance between the fan and the power supply turned out to be
> zero, and I had to remove the power supply to install the cooler. Then,
> since there wasn't room between the cooler and the top of my mid-tower
case
> to re-install the power supply, I had to remove the top of the case, which
> isn't that easy.
>
> Anyway, to make a long story short, I feel it is a stupid design error for
> any motherboard manufacturer to put a CPU socket close to the edge of the
> board.
>
> PS: Can someone explain to me why on page 1-1 in the "Features and
> Specifications" the VA-10 manual says "Supports AMD Athlon XP Socket A
> Processors with 333/266 Front Side Bus" (not mentioning Pentium), then on
> page 2-3 it shows how to install a Pentium 4 CPU???? Is a Pentium 4
> equivalent to an Athlon?

I have this board also. You have to realise this board is a micro ATX board
and as such is best suited and designed for a mATX case in which situation
and design the power supply would be orientated slightly differently in
relation to the CPU socket and not sit tightly against the top of it as it
does when you use the board in a tower case. I however do use the board in a
very cramped tower case and though it's a pain to fit *any* cooler while the
power supply is fitted, the space is still sufficient IMO to not be of major
concern once fitted. The major annoyance is being able to get a screw driver
on the clip and provide the right angle to be able to fasten it which is
easier to do without the power supply in place.

You don't say exactly what HSF combination you are using? I have used both
the standard AMD supplied HSF with 2500+ Barton which is not exactly small,
and I currently use a Spire Whisper Rock IV which is quite a large heatsink
with an 80mm fan. It sound like you are a making very poor choices when it
comes to the HSF you're using. Buying something best suited to overclocking
is overkill for this board since it has no overclocking features and buying
a HSF merely based on the fact it's large and has copper fins is no
guarantee it's going to be a good design and efficient at cooling.

I would rethink what HSF you use and perhaps try A Spire Whisper Rock IV,
it's a good design that cools a bit better than the standard AMD HSF and is
substantially quieter. If the cooling is not sufficient then you could
always put a higher powered (noisier fan) on it.

It's a good board IMO but I wish ABIT would have provided a few more
tweaking features in the bios.

When I first go the board I bought a Spire BFA07B2 MicroFlow II at a local
computer store. It has only about a 1/4-inch clearance from the power
supply, which is a dual-fan design.

According to the Abit Hardware Doctor the CPU ran around 54-55 degrees C
after being on a while, which I thought was a little high.

Figuring cooler=better, I bought a Silent Boost cooler, which has copper
fins....but it wouldn't fit - bumped right against the PS fan grill.

I was not aware this type board required a different type of case. As far as
mounting screws, etc. if fits perfectly in my old case, after installing the
I/O plate (whatever the hell it's called) that came with the m-board on the
back of the case.

I've been thinking of getting a new case, so I'll look at an mATX, as you
suggest.

This is my first board of this type (Was running a BX133), so it's a
learning experience.

Thanks.

"Ken_B" <@> wrote in message news:10753gup66eflb5@corp.supernews.com...
> When I first go the board I bought a Spire BFA07B2 MicroFlow II at a local
> computer store. It has only about a 1/4-inch clearance from the power
> supply, which is a dual-fan design.
>
> According to the Abit Hardware Doctor the CPU ran around 54-55 degrees C
> after being on a while, which I thought was a little high.

Yeah that's a little on the high side but after using my CPU and fan
combinations on two other boards I suspect the Abit VA-10 is reading a
little on the high side by about 4C . Anyway it's nothing to be concerned
about.

> Figuring cooler=better, I bought a Silent Boost cooler, which has copper
> fins....but it wouldn't fit - bumped right against the PS fan grill.
>
> I was not aware this type board required a different type of case. As far
as
> mounting screws, etc. if fits perfectly in my old case, after installing
the
> I/O plate (whatever the hell it's called) that came with the m-board on
the
> back of the case.

It's not so much that it 'requires' a different case but that being a mATX
board there is specific cases built to suit them. With a desktop mATX case
the power supply would usually be situated slightly differently in relation
to the CPU as it does in a tower case. Also the power supplies are often
physically smaller. As you've found out mATX boards do fit in towers fine
with all the Hex stand offs matching mounting holes but because of the
limitation of mATX board size the CPU socket is often very close to top edge
of board. If you have a look at all the different branded socket A mATX
boards you'll find the CPU socket doesn't vary it's position much amongst
them, although there is one or two brands that orientated the socket so the
retaining clip fasten side to side of board rather than top and bottom as
the ABIT does.

> I've been thinking of getting a new case, so I'll look at an mATX, as you
> suggest.

There is some nice mATX cases but they are gennerally more expensive to buy
than towers so look at the designs and quality very carefully before you
part with money.

> This is my first board of this type (Was running a BX133), so it's a
> learning experience.

I've run a few over the years and I've developed a bit of a soft spot for
them. They're very good value especially if you're not a game player and the
onboard graphics suffice for your needs.

> [...]
> > with an 80mm fan. It sound like you are a making very poor choices when
it
> > comes to the HSF you're using. Buying something best suited to
> overclocking
> > is overkill for this board since it has no overclocking features and
> buying
> > a HSF merely based on the fact it's large and has copper fins is no
> > guarantee it's going to be a good design and efficient at cooling.
> >
> > I would rethink what HSF you use and perhaps try A Spire Whisper Rock
IV,
> > it's a good design that cools a bit better than the standard AMD HSF and
> is
> > substantially quieter. If the cooling is not sufficient then you could
> > always put a higher powered (noisier fan) on it.
> >
> > It's a good board IMO but I wish ABIT would have provided a few more

My favorite feature of the BX133 was the ability to have as many as eight
IDE drives. I usually had two HD's and two CD's, all set as masters.

Thanks for all the advice.

Ken