kt7-raid, unlocked thunderbird 1.4/133 - what bios settings?

I've just gotten the cpu to work, running on these settings:

FSB = 108 (CPU FSB plus set to 8)
multiplier = 12above (CPU interprets this as 13)

vcore 1.70
I/O voltage 3.40

So now I'm running at 1404MHz, should beat my old Duron at 848MHz :)
Running prime95 for about 30 minutes it stops at 49 degrees Celsius.

What should I do next? Can I get much more (stable) performance from
this setup? Not sure what the voltages need to be, or if changing the
CPU/FSB clock is different from changing the CPU FSB plus setting, the
are both supposed to affect AGP/PCI speeds.

Anyone experienced on this?

Jim

"stops" at 49C? You mean this is the highpoint but keeps running w/o
errors? Or literally "stops" running once it reaches 49C?

Everyone has their own opinions, but I never consider a system stable until
it runs Prime95 w/o errors for 24 hrs. It's not uncommon to get errors 4, 5
or more hours into the process. For me, this is unacceptable. But if it
reaches 24 hours, it almost never fails again, no matter how much longer it
runs.

As long as you get no errors, as far as Prime95 is concerned, the vCPU and
vIO are just fine, esp. if the high temps are under ~55C (again, others have
different tolerances, but I don't get overly concerned unless temps start
reaching 60C or more under stress). I'm also willing to accept more heat
for less noise, others aren't.

OC'ing the FSB will OC the PCI/AGP as well, at least on the KT7, since it
doesn't have a PCI/AGP lock. But if you keep it modest, the OC generally
doesn't increase the PCI/AGP freq. enough to matter. But you'll just need to
monitor the situation to be sure.

I'd also run 3DMark2001 (or 2003, depending whether DX8.1 or DC9,
respectively) to flush out 3D video problems.

HTH

Jim

Jim wrote:

> "stops" at 49C? You mean this is the highpoint but keeps running w/o
> errors? Or literally "stops" running once it reaches 49C?

Sorry, I that meant this is was highest point, I don't expect it to go much
higher than this anyway, no errors encountered. But I'm not going to do
much more testing tonight anyway.

> Everyone has their own opinions, but I never consider a system stable until
> it runs Prime95 w/o errors for 24 hrs. It's not uncommon to get errors 4, 5
> or more hours into the process. For me, this is unacceptable. But if it
> reaches 24 hours, it almost never fails again, no matter how much longer it
> runs.

Well, I agree. But I want to hear what speeds other people have been
able to achieve and still have a stable system, so I know approximately
what I can expect to get.

> As long as you get no errors, as far as Prime95 is concerned, the vCPU and
> vIO are just fine, esp. if the high temps are under ~55C (again, others have
> different tolerances, but I don't get overly concerned unless temps start
> reaching 60C or more under stress). I'm also willing to accept more heat
> for less noise, others aren't.

What's the default vcore anyway?

> OC'ing the FSB will OC the PCI/AGP as well, at least on the KT7, since it
> doesn't have a PCI/AGP lock. But if you keep it modest, the OC generally
> doesn't increase the PCI/AGP freq. enough to matter. But you'll just need to
> monitor the situation to be sure.
>
> I'd also run 3DMark2001 (or 2003, depending whether DX8.1 or DC9,
> respectively) to flush out 3D video problems.

3DMark and Quake 3 - will try later.

Tor

Wabbit

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002

Tydr Schnubbis <nobody@nowhere.fake> wrote in

> FSB = 108 (CPU FSB plus set to 8)
> multiplier = 12above (CPU interprets this as 13)
> vcore 1.70
> I/O voltage 3.40 are both supposed to affect AGP/PCI speeds.
>
> Anyone experienced on this?

I have KT7-RAID non A with BIOS A9 w/HPT 2.351 and Athlon 1.4Ghz (133)

Overclocked settings were:

multiplier x12above
FSB 105/35
CPU FSB Plus 3
no changes to I/O voltages necessary
= 1404

Stable, but USB does not work properly. For example, USB mouse or joystick
will no longer work after 30+ minutes. No workaround, get a USB PCI card.

Unstable after newer VIA and nVidia drivers came out, get loop error in
video card. Random crashes. Windows XP. Need to run at 1.3Ghz rock stable

Latest predictment. Upgrade to an ATI AIW 9600XT. Video card is not
recognized after a cold boot. After a zillion power on and off, the card
will get redetected and works fine. If you never turn off the computer,
there is no problem. It's a shame.

Good luck.

Wabbit

Next upgrade...replace system with Athlon64 (939)