Unmountable boot volume error on NTFS drive

April 5, 2004 3:35:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am attempting to restore files from a crashed 60 gig drive in a Dell
Inspiron 8200.

I got "Unmountable boot volume" when installed in the laptop. I replaced the
crashed laptop drive with a new one from Dell, and now have the crashed
laptop drive installed as a slave in my desktop PC which runs Win2000. I'm
trying to recover the data from this crashed drive.

Chkdsk /r yields:

C:\Documents and Settings\skipc>chkdsk e: /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
File verification completed.
Correcting cross-link for file 8.
An unspecified error occurred.

Had same error when in laptop.

Disk manager sees the drive as NTFS and reports it as healthy and active.

Any ideas about where to go from here?

--
Skip
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I do not whether you can "fix" the drive, but there are several programs out
there that can "recover" files from a drive with bad boot sector, bad MFT,
etc, so long as the drive is not physically damaged. Since the drive is
NTFS, that limits your options. Still, try one of the following. Most have
free demos that show you what they can find and could recover. Actual
recovery of more than trivial files (32 to 64K) requires buying the product
(or an unlock key):

Active@Undelete (name of product, not web address)
Undelete, from Executive Software
File Scavenger