Kalki

XP does not recognize my CD/DVD drive as RW. I tired deleting the upper and lower keys in the registry, but it ends up recognizing it as CDROM and not as RW. I can still burn Music CD's using RealPlayer. But many other applications including XP fails to recognize it as a RW device. My drive is Philips CDD5301.

The device manager lists it as DVD/CD-ROM. I am able to read all discs but write to it using only Real Player now. RecordNow, Windows Media Player, and other software does not recognize it as a RW drive and so I am unable to use those. When I insert a blank CD and try to explore it is says E:\not accessible. The icon on my computer then changes to CDROM. All other times it is listed as 'DVD/CD-RW'. Also there is no recording tab in the drive properties. In Regdit the device type value is set to '2'.

Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

I had a problem like that with Win98. It was resolved by
reloading the drivers and related software for the
burner. It did the same thing with the DVD player and was
resolved the same way.

Kalki

How do you do that? Are you suggesting a system restore. I tried uninstalling the driver in the device manager window and then making XP reinstall it - did not work..