no audio from DVD's

I built a PC using an ABIT VT7 MB with a VIA PT880 chipset., P4-3GHZ,
512MB, a DVD/CDRW, a DVDR, WinXP Pro, Power DVD 5.0

I connected a sound cable from both optical drives. The sound works
while playing audio CD's on either drive. There's no sound when using
commercial DVD's, though.

Any suggestions?

-Jaze

"jaze" <lyingbastard@juno.com> wrote in message...
>I built a PC using an ABIT VT7 MB with a VIA PT880 chipset.,
> P4-3GHZ, 512MB, a DVD/CDRW, a DVDR, WinXP Pro,
> Power DVD 5.0
>
> I connected a sound cable from both optical drives.

There is no point doing this. The sound on modern OSes is extracted via the
ATA cable. The standalone audio cable does nothing.

> The sound works while playing audio CD's on either drive. There's
> no sound when using commercial DVD's, though.
>
> Any suggestions?

Have you checked to see if your wave out volume is down or muted? Other than
that, it's a case of checking PowerDVD's audio settings. If you can see a
picture though, there's no obvious reason why you shouldn't get sound also.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try checking your audio settings in PowerDVD.
apart from that, post more about your sound setup etc..

> I built a PC using an ABIT VT7 MB with a VIA PT880 chipset., P4-3GHZ,
> 512MB, a DVD/CDRW, a DVDR, WinXP Pro, Power DVD 5.0
>
> I connected a sound cable from both optical drives. The sound works
> while playing audio CD's on either drive. There's no sound when using
> commercial DVD's, though.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> -Jaze

Check PowerDVD. Also make sure that digital out or similar option is NOT
enabled for your soundcard, or software, (unless you use a digital
soundcard/speaker system ). Also check for powerdvd speaker configuration.
In worst cause, install powerdvd again.

"jaze" <lyingbastard@juno.com> wrote in message
> I built a PC using an ABIT VT7 MB with a VIA PT880 chipset., P4-3GHZ,
> 512MB, a DVD/CDRW, a DVDR, WinXP Pro, Power DVD 5.0
>
> I connected a sound cable from both optical drives. The sound works
> while playing audio CD's on either drive. There's no sound when using
> commercial DVD's, though.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> -Jaze

awl

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I had this same problem and noticed that the DVD audio was being sent to speaker output instead of my default digital audio device. Here is the procedure that fixed it for me:

1. Open PowerDVD. Do not start the movie, open the App from the start Menu.

2. Open Settings in PowerDVD and select the Audio Tab

3. Select "Use SPDIF" under "Speaker Environment"

4. Click "OK" to exit setup.