Abit nf7-s

Hi there have a machine in front of me
abit nf7-s, 2200xp, 512mb (adata, have used other ram to test), 160 gb
maxtor hd

firstly have component tested everything, but the cpu and the mobo, will do
that tommorw,

sometimes this computer boots up perfectly sometimes when i press the power
on button, the fans whir, the light inside stays on, but absolutely nothing
on the screen, no beep that u usualy hear, it just stays with this black
screen, and no apparent life.

but sometimes it will work
im not sure what the problem is, (we've replaced the battery on the mobo,
the bios has been updated)

so does any one care to shed some light on this problem!

thanks
Figurt
2 answers Last reply
More about abit

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 18:46:15 +0100, Figurt <no.one@microsoft.com> wrote:
    > Hi there have a machine in front of me
    > abit nf7-s, 2200xp, 512mb (adata, have used other ram to test), 160 gb
    > maxtor hd
    >
    > firstly have component tested everything, but the cpu and the mobo, will do
    > that tommorw,
    >
    > sometimes this computer boots up perfectly sometimes when i press the power
    > on button, the fans whir, the light inside stays on, but absolutely nothing
    > on the screen, no beep that u usualy hear, it just stays with this black
    > screen, and no apparent life.
    >
    > but sometimes it will work
    > im not sure what the problem is, (we've replaced the battery on the mobo,
    > the bios has been updated)
    >
    > so does any one care to shed some light on this problem!
    >
    > thanks
    > Figurt

    When all you get are the fans and lights have you actually tried just
    hitting the reset switch? Does it boot up normally if you do that? There
    is an issue with some systems and some power supplies such that when the
    PS is cold (early morning, not been used for a while), the inital
    boot-up surge is quite high and the PS doesn't send its "power-good"
    signal to the CPU. Hitting the reset switch will usually work. It is an
    inconvenience and the only way around it I know of is to try a
    different, higher powered power supply. Sometimes changing the video
    card apparently works, depending on how much initial wattage the video
    card consumes.

    Let me know if this looks like your problem.

    Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

    --
    ********************************
    to reply via email remove "fake"

    havent tried that but will do,
    changed the psu many times (from generic, to enermax 365W) done the video
    card thing...
    im just so surprised as i have a very similar setup
    but mine runs perfectly...will give it a shot, thanks a lot!
    "Larry Gagnon" <lagagnon@fakeuniserve.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 18:46:15 +0100, Figurt <no.one@microsoft.com> wrote:
    > > Hi there have a machine in front of me
    > > abit nf7-s, 2200xp, 512mb (adata, have used other ram to test), 160 gb
    > > maxtor hd
    > >
    > > firstly have component tested everything, but the cpu and the mobo, will
    do
    > > that tommorw,
    > >
    > > sometimes this computer boots up perfectly sometimes when i press the
    power
    > > on button, the fans whir, the light inside stays on, but absolutely
    nothing
    > > on the screen, no beep that u usualy hear, it just stays with this black
    > > screen, and no apparent life.
    > >
    > > but sometimes it will work
    > > im not sure what the problem is, (we've replaced the battery on the
    mobo,
    > > the bios has been updated)
    > >
    > > so does any one care to shed some light on this problem!
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > Figurt
    >
    > When all you get are the fans and lights have you actually tried just
    > hitting the reset switch? Does it boot up normally if you do that? There
    > is an issue with some systems and some power supplies such that when the
    > PS is cold (early morning, not been used for a while), the inital
    > boot-up surge is quite high and the PS doesn't send its "power-good"
    > signal to the CPU. Hitting the reset switch will usually work. It is an
    > inconvenience and the only way around it I know of is to try a
    > different, higher powered power supply. Sometimes changing the video
    > card apparently works, depending on how much initial wattage the video
    > card consumes.
    >
    > Let me know if this looks like your problem.
    >
    > Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.
    > >

    > --
    > to reply via email remove "fake"

Motherboards