Enabling ICH5R SATA ctrlr in RAID mode on an IC7-G???

When I installed W2K on my IC7-G, I did NOT initially enable the Intel SATA
controller in RAID mode (only had a single HDD on SATA1), nor did I install the
RAID driver via the F6 option. I am now considering setting up a RAID array on
SATA 1 & 2.

I tried installing the RAID driver, but it refused to load saying that I don't
have the proper hardware. I was aware that at that point, that the RAID BIOS
was NOT enabled in CMOS, which is why I got the error message. I enabled it,
but the system then refused to boot since it didn't have a RAID driver available
- Catch 22 ;o(

I still currently have only a single 120GB HDD on SATA1. Is it possible to
enable the RAID BIOS in CMOS, then do a "warm" reinstall (boot from CD) of W2K
hitting F6 and loading the Intel RAID driver (still with single SATA drive on
SATA1) without having to reinstall W2K from a clean format? If I'm not
mistaken, you can run the ICH5R SATA controller in RAID mode with only 1 drive
on it.

What I'd like to do is enable the RAID mode with one drive on the system, get
the driver installed, then install the RAID array HDDs and copy over my current
W2K system from the original 120GB SATA drive. I'm basically trying to avoid
having to reinstall all the apps that are currently on my machine due to a
reformat.

Is there any way around the problem?

Kurt
10 answers Last reply
More about enabling ich5r sata ctrlr raid mode

    I'm not 100% sure here, but here goes: enable the raid rom in the bios,
    and then reboot, then press cntrl-I at boot time to enter the raid bios.
    configure it so that SATA1 is NOT raid; do NOT create a raid volume, or
    you'll wipe it out!. reboot and you should be back where you were,
    bootable but not raid, w/ the bios available. [you may need to reset the
    "first bootable device" to the "new" SATA1 interface].

    THEN you should be able to install the IAA driver.

    Now, after doing all of this, will you be able to use the migration
    feature of IAA to convert to raid w/o reinstall? I just don't know!
    Something tells me no, you won't. In which case the whole exercise was
    moot.

    I think a reformat/reinstall is in your future, sorry. But it'll be a good
    excuse to upgrade to XP, it is a lot better than W2K, trust me! Wait for
    SP2 and get a new CD w/ SP2 already incorporated (SP2 will be HUGE!)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Thanks for the reply, Mr. Frodo ;o)

    Here's what I did:

    BIOS Ver: 22 update a while back (reset CMOS for 5 min after flash update, no
    PWR supp, no battery), system NOT O/C'd, all HDDs disconnected except SATA1
    (although this doesn't make a difference anyway), a CD-ROM is the only other IDE
    device on the system.

    Pertinent BIOS settings:
    Integ. Periph:
    -OnChip SATA Mode: RAID
    -RAID ROM: Enabled or Disabled <-- Doesn't seem to matter
    -IDE Mode: Enhanced <-- X'd & greyed out when RAID mode selected above
    (In this config, IDEs 3 & 4 disappear from the device list in the POST screen)

    Advanced screens:
    -Boot Prior: When in RAID mode, only the "Bootable Add-in Device" was
    available
    -Bootable Add-in Dev: OnChip SATA RAID

    -First Boot dev: Floppy
    -Second Boot dev: CD-ROM
    -Third Boot dev: Hard Disk
    -Boot Other: Enabled
    (Tried putting Hard Disk 1st, no difference)

    -IDE Delay: 5 sec <-- just to be safe
    (Tried this at "0-10" as well, no difference)

    When the system POSTs, I get no indication/request to press Ctrl-I to enter the
    Intel RAID setup. Even if I hit Ctrl-I several times during POST, I cannot
    enter the Intel RAID setup (BTW, if I enable the Silicon Image SATA RAID ROM, I
    can enter its setup). It seems as though the BIOS doesn't recognize my Intel
    SATA controller when it's in RAID mode. I have a sneaking suspicion that until
    I can see the RAID ctrlr ROM access in the BIOS POST screen, I'm not gonna have
    any luck with this. ;o(

    When the system goes from POST to boot, I get the initial W2K "delay" screen
    where you can hit F8 for trouble shooting, then the W2K Pro splash screen shows
    up and the progress bar jumps to about halfway, hangs and then BSODs after
    several seconds with the error message: "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" with the
    usual cryptic register dumps and that's all she wrote - the only way out is a
    hard reset or system turn-off/on. It seems that the system is initially
    accessing the SATA1 HDD, but then chokes when it tries to load the W2K kernel.

    I've tried different combos of Enabling/Disabling Bus Mastering, OnChip Raid ROM
    Enabled/Disabled, etc - just can't get past the BSOD. When I revert back to IDE
    / Enhanced mode, all's well in Gondor. ;o)

    I'm not going to have much time to play with this over the next week, but it'd
    be good to get it resolved, 'cuz I do want to go RAID on SATA 1 & 2. It works
    flawlessly in its current config but it's frustrating to not to have it do what
    I think it's supposed to.

    BTW, I've messed with XP Pro on another box and got frustrated by a bunch of
    networking problems and gave up - M$ really messed up when they integrated the
    networking stuff so deeply into XP, IMHO. I really prefer W2K Pro, but
    appreciate your suggestion about "upgrading". I have 3 recently purchased W2K
    Pro, SP4 licenses and, at least for the the forseeable future, I'm gonna stick
    with it.

    Kurt
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    if the intel bios isn't enabled you won't get the cntrl-I prompt.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On 9-Apr-2004, frodo@theshire.org wrote:

    > if the intel bios isn't enabled you won't get the cntrl-I prompt.

    In the "Integrated Periphs" screen, I set the Intel ("OnChip") controller mode
    to "RAID" and the RAID ROM to "Enabled" and still didn't get the Cntrl-I prompt.

    My previous post was only meant to indicate that it didn't seem to matter
    whether the RAID ROM was enabled or not - no Cntrl-I prompt either way, that's
    what's confusing me. I wouldn't have expected to get the prompt with the RAID
    ROM "Disabled". It's as though the SATA 1 & 2 controller disappears when it's
    in the RAID mode and the drive is missing from the "Boot Priority" screen even
    after saving the settings, exiting the BIOS and then re-entering it - several
    times. ;o/

    Kurt
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Kurt" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message...
    > In the "Integrated Periphs" screen, I set the Intel ("OnChip")
    > controller mode to "RAID" and the RAID ROM to "Enabled"
    > and still didn't get the Cntrl-I prompt.

    The only other explanation for that would be if you don't have anything
    plugged into the SATA1 or SATA2 headers on the motherboard.

    > My previous post was only meant to indicate that it didn't seem to matter
    > whether the RAID ROM was enabled or not - no Cntrl-I prompt either
    > way, that's what's confusing me.

    Curious.

    > I wouldn't have expected to get the prompt with the RAID
    > ROM "Disabled".

    Indeed not. Your expectation there is correct, but provided you have the
    RAID ROM enabled and drives connected to SATA1 or SATA2, you should see the
    BIOS screen at the end of the POST procedure.

    The only other thing that would disable it would be if you had the SATA mode
    set to "Auto", and then went into the Standard CMOS Setup screen of the BIOS
    and selected "none" as the devices connected to the IDE3 and IDE4 channels.

    Could you list exactly what hardware you've got plugged into which ports,
    just so we can visualise your setup? Also, have you tried clearing the CMOS
    with the jumper at any point? If not, it'd be worth a try.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Thanks to all for your replies - a little clarification seems to be in order
    since I now have beat the hell out of various possible configurations on my
    system.

    OK, here we go..... (Sorry for the length, but I couldn't figure out how to
    present it more simply)

    Base config, as originally assembled:
    Floppy: 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy

    IDE1, Master: None
    IDE1, Slave: None
    IDE2, Master: CD-R/W
    IDE2, Slave: DVD +/- R/W

    SATA1: WD 120GB SATA HDD (Boot drive)
    SATA2: None
    SATA3: WD 160GB PATA/Serillel2 (non-RAID)
    SATA4: WD 160GB PATA/Serillel2 (non-RAID)

    ABIT BIOS V2.2 flashed recently, PSU unplugged, CMOS battery removed, reset CMOS
    10 min.

    When I installed W2K, I did NOT initially set the ICH5R controller to RAID mode,
    nor did I use F6 to install the Intel RAID driver (I did install the SI driver
    via F6). The "OnChip" controller was set to "IDE" and "ENHANCED" mode - SATA 1
    & 2 appear as IDE 3 & 4.

    - With the above config, no matter how the "OnChip" RAID controller is
    configured, the Ctrl-I prompt NEVER appears during POST.
    - If I set the "OnChip" RAID controller mode to "RAID", set the boot priority
    to point to "OnChip SATA RAID" and attempt to boot the system, I get a BSOD
    with the "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error message AFTER the grey/blue W2K Pro
    splash screen appears for several seconds and the boot progress bar jumps to
    about half way.
    - If I move SATA3 to SATA2 with the "OnChip" RAID ROM enabled, I DO get the
    Ctrl-I prompt and the two drives appear in the RAID setup screen. However,
    the system still will not boot, stopping with the same BSOD error.

    I draw the following conclusions from this:

    1 - The Intel RAID ROM won't allow you to access the RAID setup screen in POST
    unless there are 2 HDDs on the controller (the SI RAID ROM will, however).
    2 - If the Intel RAID driver is not installed at initial opsys setup (F6), you
    can't switch on RAID mode in the BIOS and boot from SATA 1 or 2 thereafter
    (even if the drives are non-RAID) - W2K needs the RAID driver installed to
    access the HDDs on the controller when it's in RAID mode - period.
    3 - If I move my boot drive to SATA3 and set everything correctly for that
    config, the system WILL boot into W2K with no errors.
    4 - There ain't a darn thing wrong with my IC7-G that a better understanding
    of (and documentation for) the nuances of the beast wouldn't cure. ;o)

    - The question now is: Can I configure the Intel controller in RAID mode in
    the BIOS, single drive, do a "warm" reinstall of W2K from a CD-ROM boot,
    hitting F6 to install the Intel RAID driver in order to get bootability from a
    RAID configuration - or am I looking at a format and clean install of W2K
    (with the attendant reinstall of ALL the damn software on the system)? I
    don't want to FUBAR a system that has been running solid for a couple of
    months.

    Again, I find that perusing this group over the past few years has helped me a
    great deal (even when I don't ask a question) with setting up several
    (BX133-RAID, SA6R, ST6R, 2 - BD7II-RAIDs, BE7-RAID & IC7-G) boards. Even if a
    poster's question is not immediately answered, a solution to most problems
    eventually pops out of the hash. Thanks to all those who take the time to share
    their knowledge & expertise with us "less enlightened" (but electronically
    dangerous) groupies here.

    Regards - Kurt
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    one of the "selling points" of the intel raid offering is its ability to
    set up a single drive "raid-ready" configuration, and then at a later
    date install the second drive and perform a "migration" to raid w/o having
    to reinstall the OS. So, the BIOS _SHOULD_ come up w/ only a single drive
    attached.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    you could try a repair installation of the OS after enabling the ICH5R raid
    ROM.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    > When I installed W2K on my IC7-G, I did NOT initially enable the Intel
    SATA
    > controller in RAID mode (only had a single HDD on SATA1), nor did I
    install the
    > RAID driver via the F6 option. I am now considering setting up a RAID
    array on
    > SATA 1 & 2.
    >
    > I tried installing the RAID driver, but it refused to load saying that I
    don't
    > have the proper hardware. I was aware that at that point, that the RAID
    BIOS
    > was NOT enabled in CMOS, which is why I got the error message. I enabled
    it,
    > but the system then refused to boot since it didn't have a RAID driver
    available
    > - Catch 22 ;o(
    >
    > I still currently have only a single 120GB HDD on SATA1. Is it possible
    > enable the RAID BIOS in CMOS, then do a "warm" reinstall (boot from CD) of
    W2K
    > hitting F6 and loading the Intel RAID driver (still with single SATA drive
    on
    > SATA1) without having to reinstall W2K from a clean format? If I'm not
    > mistaken, you can run the ICH5R SATA controller in RAID mode with only 1
    drive
    > on it.
    >
    > What I'd like to do is enable the RAID mode with one drive on the system,
    get
    > the driver installed, then install the RAID array HDDs and copy over my
    current
    > W2K system from the original 120GB SATA drive. I'm basically trying to
    avoid
    > having to reinstall all the apps that are currently on my machine due to a
    > reformat.
    >
    > Is there any way around the problem?
    >
    > Kurt
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    not sure here but I think you don't get the option to enter the raid bios if
    only one drive is connected... if you have 2 drives on the Intel ICH5R SATA
    controller then you should be able to see the bios screen and enter the
    setup with Control-I, that is for sure...

    --

> [...]
    >
    > I'm not going to have much time to play with this over the next week, but
    it'd
    > be good to get it resolved, 'cuz I do want to go RAID on SATA 1 & 2. It
    works
    > flawlessly in its current config but it's frustrating to not to have it do
    what
    > I think it's supposed to.
    >
    > BTW, I've messed with XP Pro on another box and got frustrated by a bunch
    of
    > networking problems and gave up - M$ really messed up when they integrated
    the
    > networking stuff so deeply into XP, IMHO. I really prefer W2K Pro, but
    > appreciate your suggestion about "upgrading". I have 3 recently purchased
    W2K
    > Pro, SP4 licenses and, at least for the the forseeable future, I'm gonna

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    this last "feature" was accomplished by virtue of using the Intel
    Application Accelerator Raid Version with the second drive connected. you
    could not do it at the bios level. with one drive connected, I feel pretty
    sure that you do not get the Control-I Intel bios screen.

    --

    <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    > one of the "selling points" of the intel raid offering is its ability to
    > set up a single drive "raid-ready" configuration, and then at a later
    > date install the second drive and perform a "migration" to raid w/o having
    > to reinstall the OS. So, the BIOS _SHOULD_ come up w/ only a single drive
    > attached.

NAS / RAID SATA Motherboards